2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    100% didn't hit the black, Selby was extremely lucky but he makes the most of it and is great under pressure
    Wonder if that Hawkeye technology they use at the tennis would have been of any use here?

Comment

• I am so pleased for Mark Selby, a true champion who is the dominant force of this era. no one can say he isn't one of the greats now. his achievements are all there for us to see. He is young enough to win another 1,2 or 3 more titles if he is hungry enough.

who can challenge him, Ding? maybe however Selby has beaten him twice over the last 2 years to win the title . for Ding to win the worlds i feel he will need to avoid Selby same as Jimmy white needed to avoid Davies or Hendry. and that means Selby being knocked out in the earlier rounds.

Trump? well unless he can sort his head out and get it out of the clouds and realise that to win matches you can't dwell on your mistakes or how the game is going and just knuckle down and play frame by frame , otherwise he won't win anything.

Selby has that streak that all champions have , a desire to win at all costs. that's what makes him one of the greats
      Last edited by alabadi; 2 May 2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• There was only one winner in my opinion. Higgins was never likely to beat Mark. Yes Higgins got lucky and managed to pinch a few frames in the first two sessions but Mark is the best in the game when it comes to coming back from behind. Higgins never looked comfortable yesterday and as soon as Mark won the first frame i just knew he would win. My prediction is that Higgins will never win another world championship title infact that was probably the last crucible final he will play in.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          I am so pleased for Mark Selby, a true champion who is the dominant force of this era. no one can say he isn't one of the greats now. his achievements are all there for us to see. He is young enough to win another 1,2 or 3 more titles if he is hungry enough.

who can challenge him, Ding? maybe however Selby has beaten him twice over the last 2 years to win the title . for Ding to win the worlds i feel he will need to avoid Selby sam,e as Jimmy white needed to avoid Davies or Hendry. and that means Selby being knocked out in the earlier rounds.

Trump? well unless he can sort his head out and get it out of the clouds and realise that to win matches you have to win you can't dwell on your mistakes or how the game is going and just knuckle down and play frame by frame , he won't win anything.

Selby has that streak that all champions have , a desire to win at all costs. that's what makes him one of the greats
          Excellent post. Mark has got Ding sussed he knows Ding's weak points and exploits them. Ding has had a good run at Sheffield in the last two years but i don't think he will make it as far as the semis next year.

Comment

• Ding knew he had to up his safety game to compete with Selby. And he did that to great effect and I'd say probably out did him in that department. Trouble is, that took so much out of him that it was hard to score heavily when he did get a chance. Selby has no trouble with trouble switching between air-tight safety play and 1 visit break building modes

Comment

• Originally Posted by jimev View Post
              Selby has no trouble with trouble switching between air-tight safety play and 1 visit break building modes
              that's why he is Champion

Comment

• Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
                There was only one winner in my opinion. Higgins was never likely to beat Mark. Yes Higgins got lucky and managed to pinch a few frames in the first two sessions but Mark is the best in the game when it comes to coming back from behind. Higgins never looked comfortable yesterday and as soon as Mark won the first frame i just knew he would win. My prediction is that Higgins will never win another world championship title infact that was probably the last crucible final he will play in.
                We must have been watching different matches then

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  We must have been watching different matches then
                  Oh come on, knocking in a century in a world championship final? Who hasn't had that sort of luck?!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                    100% didn't hit the black, Selby was extremely lucky but he makes the most of it and is great under pressure
                    Look at the video at 26 seconds. Watch the bottom of the black ball, it wobbles fractionally. It couldn't have moved without contact.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39773954

Comment

• Let's go back a couple years ago, to the classic WSC 2014 semi-final between Robertson and Selby. The score is 14-14, a fantastic, tight back and forth match.

At that particular point, Robertson has 9 ranking titles including a World Championship, the current UK Championship winner and the World number 1.

Selby has 3 ranking titles out of 11 finals, and no World Championship.

Selby plays fantastic snooker in the remaining frames, wins the match and since then has won 9 ranking titles out of 10 finals including 3 World Championships, a UK title, the China open twice and the International Championship.

That O'Sullivan win completely changed Selby's career and had he lost to Robertson, their position on the pantheon might be switched right now.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                        Granite. The right man won but Higgins did everything he could and would have beaten most players.
                        Do I detect a slight warming toward JH there ghost?

-
                        The fast and the furious,
                        The slow and labourious,
                        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Kargetina View Post
                          Let's go back a couple years ago, to the classic WSC 2014 semi-final between Robertson and Selby. The score is 14-14, a fantastic, tight back and forth match.

At that particular point, Robertson has 9 ranking titles including a World Championship, the current UK Championship winner and the World number 1.

Selby plays fantastic snooker in the remaining frames, wins the match and since then has won 9 ranking titles out of 10 finals including 3 World Championships, a UK title, the China open twice and the International Championship.

That O'Sullivan win completely changed Selby's career and had he lost to Robertson, their position on the pantheon might be switched right now.
                          Absolutely. That was the tuning point when he broke O'Sullivan's winning run @ the Crucible and clawed back an excellent overnight deficit. If he hadn't have won that final
                          then, he may never have enjoyed any world championships let alone three!
                          John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            I am so pleased for Mark Selby, a true champion who is the dominant force of this era. no one can say he isn't one of the greats now. his achievements are all there for us to see. He is young enough to win another 1,2 or 3 more titles if he is hungry enough.

who can challenge him, Ding? maybe however Selby has beaten him twice over the last 2 years to win the title . for Ding to win the worlds i feel he will need to avoid Selby same as Jimmy white needed to avoid Davies or Hendry. and that means Selby being knocked out in the earlier rounds.

Trump? well unless he can sort his head out and get it out of the clouds and realise that to win matches you can't dwell on your mistakes or how the game is going and just knuckle down and play frame by frame , otherwise he won't win anything.

You're right, he is the dominant force I don't see Trump challenging him and both O'Sullivan and Higgins are at the tail end of their careers, so unless Ding or Robertson step up then, Selby will probably wins another 2 or 3 worlds
                            before someone gates under his skin. Why the big blue writing?

* It's Davis and not Davies *
                            John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                              You're right, he is the dominant force I don't see Trump challenging him and both O'Sullivan and Higgins are at the tail end of their careers, so unless Ding or Robertson step up then, Selby will probably wins another 2 or 3 worlds
                              before someone gates under his skin. Why the big blue writing?

* It's Davis and not Davies *
                              Legit post

Comment

• Originally Posted by Kargetina View Post
                                Let's go back a couple years ago, to the classic WSC 2014 semi-final between Robertson and Selby. The score is 14-14, a fantastic, tight back and forth match.

Robertson indulged in video games,experiments with his diet,etc.
                                Will be interesting to see if he can go back to his prime,but i doubt it will happen

Comment

Working...
                                X