No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A round of 16 over a best of 25 frames first started in 1980. Here's a list of how many (out of 8) matches ended with a session to spare each year. Any year when it didn't happen is omitted.

1981 - 2 (13-2, 13-3)
    1983 - 1 (13-3)
    1985 - 1 (13-3)
    1988 - 2 (13-1, 13-1)
    1989 - 2 (13-3, 13-3)
    1991 - 1 (13-1)
    1994 - 3 (13-2, 13-3, 13-3)
    1997 - 1 (13-3)
    1998 - 1 (13-3)
    2000 - 1 (13-1)
    2002 - 5 (13-2, 13-2, 13-3, 13-3, 13-3)
    2003 - 1 (13-2)
    2005 - 1 (13-3)
    2006 - 1 (13-2)
    2009 - 1 (13-3)
    2013 - 1 (13-3)
    2017 - 1 (13-3)

It's only happened twice since 2009. Michael White beat Dechawat Poomjaeng 13-3 in 2013 and Stephen Maguire bear Rory McLeod 13-3 this year. The year for crushing victories was 2002. O'Sullivan over Milkins and Higgins over Dott (13-2) and Hendry over Davies, Lee over Hann, and Stevens over White (13-3)

It's happened 26 times in 38 years. So 26 times out 304. 8.55% of the time. So if you can get 15 to 1 odds it's a good bet, though the recent trend seems to be in favour of 2nd round matches being more competitive.

Comment

• Originally Posted by two-cues View Post
      Funny how he only seemed to 'wince' occasionally and wasn't doing it at all until things started to look dodgy - the cynic in me says the only thing actually hurting was his pride and massive ego for getting thumped by a chump. That would make a good headline for a crappy newspaper. Trump thumped by a chump. :biggrin-new:
      Yep, definitely a chump! amazing to think he's at the Crucible when players like Perry and Williams are missing.

Comment

• A comment from Mark Allen, following the stir caused by his presser :

C-HEtOHXoAAbP4Q.jpg
        Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

• 13-0 has never happened in the round of 16.

The following were 13-1.

1988- Steve Davis (1) over Mike Hallett (16) and Neal Foulds (3) over Doug Mountjoy (14)
          1991 - John Parrott (3) over Tony Knowles (Q)
          2000 - Dominic Dale (Q) over David Gray (Q)

Knowles had beaten the 14th seed John Virgo in the first round. Dale had beaten Ebdon (13) and Gray had beaten O'Sullivan (4) (10-9)

I didn't follow snooker very closely for about 15 years starting in the early 90s. I guess this must have been when Ronnie was doing some bad things off of the table.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
            13-0 has never happened in the round of 16.
            There was only one match ever at the Crucible that ended with the losing player not even making a single frame. This happened in the first round of the 1992 edition, when John Parrott defeated Eddie Charlton 10-0.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
              Well, I haven't seen this session. But at least he trails only 6-10 against the worlds best player.
              Yes not too bad 10-6, but im just angry at the amount of schoolboy misses he had, and errors made, he could easily be leading this match, maybe i had a bet on him hence the anger
              Blown away

Comment

• Post by PLTHEREF

A quick look through the Crucible Almanac reveals that Maguire is the first player to win two consecutive best of 25 frame matches with sessions to spare since Hendry did it in the 2004 (quarter-final) and 2005 (second round) World Championships.

Steve Davis did it in 1989 - both the last 16 and quarter-finals.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                  Yes not too bad 10-6, but im just angry at the amount of schoolboy misses he had, and errors made, he could easily be leading this match, maybe i had a bet on him hence the anger
                  I know what you mean from yesterdays session though. Xiao isn't exactly the best tactical player, which obviously hurts against Selby.
                  Therefore his long potting was pretty great.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jw147 View Post
                    Yes, it's a shame, leaving his mistakes to one side he's made quite a good impression from what I've seen of him so far. 8-8 or even 9-7 wouldn't have been unjustified.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
                      A comment from Mark Allen, following the stir caused by his presser :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18732[/ATTACH]
                      I like how he's back peddling with the "somethings are said in jest" in reference to TG. You just have to watch the interview to see he's being serious and looking annoyed, and he's trying to play the "i was only joking" card? Lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                        I like how he's back peddling with the "somethings are said in jest" in reference to TG. You just have to watch the interview to see he's being serious and looking annoyed, and he's trying to play the "i was only joking" card? Lol
                        Might have been the getting out of bed late that he was joking about.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• If the world Championship started play only after 7pm every evening Mark Allen Mark Williams and Neil Robertson and quite a few other would have won more stuff... Plenty of lazy players out there.

End of the day change has to come from within - Allen has been saying for ages he needs to diet but cant be bothered - he has done really well with what he has - there are plenty of players out there more dedicated that are no-where near as talented - I would not complain if I had his talent myself but in the top end of the game if he is ever going to be anything else more than nearly guy he needs to change things up off the table - if he can't and if he can live with that fair enough stop complaining. If you want to change don't just say it because you are saying to yourself - convincing your brain you are going to do something and you procrastinate or put it off - to change something you just do it without making it an issue of it beforehand - then its ok to say it after you have achieved.

As for these coaches - yes they charge you all this money - you think they are friends they are not - the disappointing aspect is the players dealing with them see them as friends. A friend does not ditch you if the money and the circumstances are not right a friend is there for you through the bad times too. Its not about the money.

Mark Allen speaks from the heart - a lot of people give him stick - but he is a funny guy he is human, he has failings - don't we all? - but I like him and love his snooker. I hope he wins the championship one day personally.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                            Peter Ebdon "Rory is struggling"

That's complete bull****. This is his normal game. He's ranked in the 50s in the world for a reason.
                            I'm surprised he's even ranked that high. That was shocking from McLeod and even Maguire said he'd need to improve if he
                            wants to go further in the worlds despite winning 13-3.
                            John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

• What's the betting that any comments/questions sent to the BBC via email are ignored? I find it annoying that those of us who haven't fallen victim to the whole 'social media' crap are alienated in such a way.
                              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• This match is turning into a very even set of affairs (Robertson-Fu), out of the two it's very difficult to pick a favourite as they are both evidently very nice guys off the table as well as on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X