2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    So did Wilson replace his tip or did he do a repair job on it?

He miscued again at the end there and personally I think he's the type of player that can only play with a tip bedded in. His cueing off the cushion is prone to that though, he really needs to raise his bridge slightly off the cushion and strike down on the cueball, he cues too parallel and that is why he miscued.
    He repaired the tip and went on with it to make another miscue (as discussed).

As Erwan says, he did start the championship with a remarkably low depth tip compared to all the other players who have either new, or surprisingly large depth tips when you look at them.

Wilson may just like a low depth tip or it's just one that was playing well up to the competition and he thought he had enough playing time left in it.

I too was surprised that after the first miscue he didn't raise the butt a little when off the cushion; it may have bounced the white fractionally but not as much as a further miscue!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• The quarter-finals went to a best of 25 format in 1977. So we've had 160 best of 25 quarter-final matches. Here's a list of how many times each possible scoreline has happened.

13-12 (21)
      13-11 (21)
      13-7 (20)
      13-10 (17)
      13-9 (17)
      13-8 (17)
      13-6 (17)
      13-5 (16)
      13-3 (7)
      13-4 (5)
      13-2 (2)
      13-1 (0)
      13-0 (0)

A quarter-final has been won with a session to spare 9 times (5.6% of the time) It's happened three times in the last five years.

13-3 - Steve Davis over Mike Hallett (1989), Jimmy White over Gary Wilkinson (1991), John Higgins over Anthony Hamilton (2000), Stephen Hendry over Ian McCulloch (2004), Ronnie O'Sullivan over Anthony Hamilton (2004), Ronnie O'Sullivan over Sean Murphy (2014), and Ding Junhui over Mark Williams (2016)

13-2 - Kirk Stevens over Ray Reardon (1984), and Stephen Maguire over Stephen Hendry (2012)

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        that was after makeup!

I feel genuinely terrible now. Having watched the 40 years documentary I suspect it's slightly more permanent than a zit.

I had come back to edit/delete what was a stupid and thoughtless comment, but you've gone and quoted me so that's gone for a burden.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Fu has completely lost it for the moment.
          Selby played fantastic Snooker the first three frames, but now he missed a few shots himself and gave Fu chances, but the man from Hongkong couldn't pot a ball.

Comment

• Anything can happen in sport but i can't see how anyone can beat Selby in a best of 25+ when he plays this confidently. He's tough to beat when he plays mediocre, he wasn't that good last year and still won and he's at least a step above this year. If his form continues to improve, good luck everyone else.

Comment

• That 40 year celebration was brill! Thorburn's recreation of the yellow for his famous 147 had me in bits.
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                Fu has completely lost it for the moment.
                Selby played fantastic Snooker the first three frames, but now he missed a few shots himself and gave Fu chances, but the man from Hongkong couldn't pot a ball.
                I did wonder how much Marco would have left in the tank after last night's effort. If he can pinch a few before the end of this session, then get a good night's sleep I'm sure he'll come back fighting tomorrow and hopefully give Selby something to think about, can't see Mark losing from here though.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                  I did wonder how much Marco would have left in the tank after last night's effort. If he can pinch a few before the end of this session, then get a good night's sleep I'm sure he'll come back fighting tomorrow and hopefully give Selby something to think about, can't see Mark losing from here though.

-
                  I think Marco needs at least a 3-5 after the first session. I don't see Selby losing from 6-2 up. In fact as you say it's even difficult seeing Selby losing from 4-0.

Comment

• God help me, watching selby is like watching grass grow.

Comment

• What is Fu's H2H like with Selby? It feels like he's already lost even before he entered the arena. It's never great watching such one sided affairs, I can't see this match changing and it could even be a whitewash. Very dissapointing, at least the other match looks a bit more competitive but even then Hawkins is playing very well and Maguire needs 5-3 or similiar from this first session.

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                        What is Fu's H2H like with Selby? .
                        12 - 5 to Selby.

Details here:
                        http://cuetracker.net/index.php/head...selby/marco-fu

-
                        The fast and the furious,
                        The slow and labourious,
                        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                          Thanks, I see he's won 70% of matches but only 56% of the frames so the matches are normally fairly close. Fu has had a good season, I don't know why he's playing so tentatively.

Comment

• Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                            Thanks, I see he's won 70% of matches but only 56% of the frames so the matches are normally fairly close. Fu has had a good season, I don't know why he's playing so tentatively.
                            Well, to be fair to Marco in the first three frames Selby was potting everything and didn't leave him any chance at all.

Comment

• Disgusting luck for Fu.

He should be 7:0 down and he might go onto tomorrow trailing only 5:3.

Comment

• Great break and then a strong safety from Selby to go 6-2 ahead of the end of the first session, which seems like a fair result. Fu has now a tough uphill battle lying ahead of him.

Comment

Working...
                                X