2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    His long game was never among the best IMO.
    I've seen him pot most long balls he goes for all tournament long, he's not exactly poor at them when he was in his prime. It is an area that falls away quicker than other areas with age and for a snooker player he isn't a spring chicken any longer.

Comment

• Does anyone know what % of 10-6 leads have been overturned at crucible? I'd imagine tricky stat to find out...
      Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

• Originally Posted by armstm View Post
        Does anyone know what % of 10-6 leads have been overturned at crucible? I'd imagine tricky stat to find out...
        DT said 'plenty' for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        First thing that entered my mind, he is far enough ahead that we are getting into a Ding implosion situation. I'm not sure Ronnie is up to it though but if he smells blood you never know.
        Exactly! A RO turn-over wouldn't surprise me one iota! We've just seen how he can polish off a frame in about four minutes (snookers required point)

I just hope I'm wrong.
        Last edited by Billy; 25 April 2017, 08:35 PM.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Higgins is through, 11-5 is just to far in front for any comeback to happen.

10-6 gives O'Sullivan a slim chance but he needs to play much better and Ding to be a bit off where he has been this match.

Comment

• O'Sullivan needs to win the next session 7-2 a tall order.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• I don't think it's that drastic,still think ding will win but Ronnie as played loose safety and his long potting as been dire, it's made it to easy for ding which is normally roles reversed

Comment

• Again it's all over by 22:30, what am I to do with the rest of my evening? :wink:

I was surprised Ding managed to pull away tonight. He looked under pressure this morning after O'Sullivan started to play a bit, but this evening the roles were completely reversed. O'Sullivan missed pretty much anything that was a little bit tricky, and at some point Ding just realized he wasn't going to get punished much and completely relaxed. It was a good performance from him all in all, especially the safety, but he did go for a couple of ambitious pots that could have lost him frames. O'Sullivan couldn't really match him tonight though... Well, a strong position for Ding, but he still needs to play a good session tomorrow to get over the line.

The other match was just as fast, a lot of the session was quite fluent. Obviously Higgins is well in front and playing really well, so it's not much of a contest, but it was still good to watch. Wilson is really up against it, but he is still trying his best to stay in the match, and that kind of approach will serve him very well throughout his career. Can't see him turning it around on this occasion though. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by armstm View Post
                  Does anyone know what % of 10-6 leads have been overturned at crucible? I'd imagine tricky stat to find out...

Well I went back through all Best-of-25-matches (2nd round and quarterfinals) until 1980. This is what I found:

Funnily enough in the last 10 years there was nobody who came back from 6-10 down, but two players from 5-11.
                  There was the infamous 2nd round match in 2010, when Neil Robertson trailed Martin Gould 5-11 before he won 13-12.
                  In the 2007 quarterfinals Shaun Murphy did the same against Matthew Stevens.

The last player to lose a Best-of-25-match after a 10-6 lead after two sessions actually was Ronnie O'Sullivan himself, when he did so against Peter Ebdon in the 2005 quarterfinals (Ebdon won 13-11).

Further Best-of-25-matches won at the Crucible after trailing 6-10:
                  2004, 2nd round: Stevens - Hunter 13-12
                  2001, 2nd round: Swail - Williams 13-12
                  1999, 2nd round: Doherty - Bond 13-11
                  1996, quarterfinals: O'Sullivan - Higgins 13-12
                  1983, 2nd round: Werbeniuk - David Taylor 13-10
                  1982, quarterfinals: Charlton - Knowles 13-11
                  Last edited by JimMalone; 25 April 2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• I think Ding has a better chance of beating Selby so i want Ding to win. Selby will get under Ronnie's skin the way Ronnie is at the moment

IF Selby makes the final i won't even watch it. i would have watched Selby v Trump but that's it

Selby v anyone else left in the other half is a nightmare final i don't care about

Comment

• Originally Posted by peterpackage View Post
                      I think Ding has a better chance of beating Selby so i want Ding to win. Selby will get under Ronnie's skin the way Ronnie is at the moment

IF Selby makes the final i won't even watch it. i would have watched Selby v Trump but that's it

Selby v anyone else left in the other half is a nightmare final i don't care about
                      Think ronnie will blow selby away in the semi (if he can somehow win this match from 6-10 behind)
                      Blown away

Comment

• Something to watch out for - if Ding's eyelid starts twitching you know that he is in trouble and under pressure :P

Comment

• Gonna stick my neck out here but I feel if Ding can't beat Ronnie from here he is never going to be the player we want him to be...
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Ding will finish this off in the first mini session

Comment

• You can't rule Ronnie out because he is capable of an inspired performance and could easily win the first 4 frames today. Today is another day, if the match finished last night Ding would have won easily, however he's had a night to think about it. Run of the ball can change too, Ding had a good amount of run yesterday, if it turns he could be sat in his seat watching Ronnie dish up. That's the thing with snooker, you can never know how a session will unfold.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                                Something to watch out for - if Ding's eyelid starts twitching you know that he is in trouble and under pressure :P
                                Yes, I've noticed that mannerism and didn't realise it was when he's under pressure.
                                John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X