No announcement yet.

2017 World Championship - Main Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the last frame of that session shows how good Selby really is, it has to be admired. Ding laid on snooker after snooker and seemed in control, against anyone else would've taken the frame, not against Selby.

Comment

• Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
      Indeed. Be a boring world if we all shared the same opinion.
      I disagree, I think it would be a great world.

Comment

If you believe what you say to be true, then no, you're not a liar.

I question, however, the validity of your facts which is why I was looking for a citation.

You can't provide one, and I don't believe what you say to be accurate, but that doesn't make you a liar as per my first sentence.
        there was a recent survey on the World Snooker Contributors thing, about a month or two ago, where these sorts of questions were asked, what do you prefer/like to see in a match?/Why do you like watching snooker? That sort of thing. As to the results, I have not seen anything but it could be that BBC asked / or where told by World Snooker.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Indeed. Be a boring world if we all shared the same opinion.
          It would indeed, however some seem to think that their idea of 'negative' is universal and definitive, it isn't.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Wasn't today's session kind of inevitable? I certainly expected it. Ding goes into full-on meltdown and Selby employs his usual torture tactics to gain a lead. It's the only way he knows how to win.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• The odd pathetic comment on here. There has always been more to this game than just potting balls, and people shouldn't assume that their opinions on how the game should be played are universally held. As a person who admires Selby's great all around game, I can say that I feel absolutely no need to defend him at all, especially from the impotent rage of faceless individuals on a message board.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                I don't think form has much to do with it. These frames are being deliberately played cagey, they are both trying to play each other at the same game, negative single ball safety shots, no aggressive open the balls up strategy. Ding needs to take a little more risk.
                Was going to reply but noticed you are banned ???????????

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                  What you see as negative I see as tactical. You don't like it, I understand that, but your analysis is just projecting your own negativity onto the game. Trust me, from where I'm standing this is great fun and I am far from alone.

-
                  +100

There was no negativity in Selbys game. He just - as always - weighed up whether it's worth taking some risk on a pot or if a good safety is the better option. A good safety is not only tactical, but a weapon to get a chance yourself. Actually Selby goes for more long pots than many other players and he plays them better than most of the top players.

Of course it's frustrating for other players to play against him, but not because of a "negativity", but because he has always no weaknesses. His safety game is so good, that he rarely offers chances and you can't offer him a chance yourself, because then he is able to make a frame-deciding break. But often his tactical game ist just so good, that it forces his opponents to give him a chance.
                  And this is what happened to Ding at the session today and it was highly interesting to watch.

Still I don't think the game is over. I'm hoping for Ding to come back stronger tonight. His nerves felt alright, you just can't pot everything and as I said, then Selby will get his chances and use them.

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Rook View Post
                    [...] and people shouldn't assume that their opinions on how the game should be played are universally held.
                    I'm not sure they are - I'm certainly not. We just don't like the way Selby plays - that's fair enough, isn't it?
                    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                      ....Selby employs his usual torture tactics to gain a lead. It's the only way he knows how to win.
                      Did you miss the UK Championship final this year Billy?

-
                      The fast and the furious,
                      The slow and labourious,
                      All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Can't believe the officials got that foul and a miss SO wrong using video analysis?
                        SHOCKING to say the least... :snooker:
                        "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019
                        http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• I must say I'm a big Ronnie fan but I like Selby too.
                          They are both different machines, Ronnie more flamboyant, Selby more clinical.

Selby has his safety tactics but he can score extremely heavily as seen time and time again.
                          It's not as though he employs "Ebdon" tactics.

Of course the likes of Ronnie are more appealing to the eye though.... for the majority.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                            I'm not sure they are - I'm certainly not. We just don't like the way Selby plays - that's fair enough, isn't it?
                            I wasn't necessarily referring to you, but there are certain people on this board who go a lot further than expressing their dislike for Selby's playing style, and they appear to think they have some moral high ground. I'm just saying that their thoughts are only their opinions, and they don't seem to be shared by the majority, nor especially the rare people whose views actually carry weight.

Comment

• It amazes me how insanely ugly the grain on higgins cue is, or at least the side he sights with. Wonder what the other sides like.

Comment

• Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                                Can't believe the officials got that foul and a miss SO wrong using video analysis?
                                SHOCKING to say the least... :snooker:
                                In the China championship (I think) this year they had a top down camera and circles so the ref could put the balls back exactly where they were. I thought they'd be rolling it out for every tournament, but it seems not.

Comment

Working...
                                X