2017 UK Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Yes, that was painful to watch. I remember he was putting the hours in to try and give it a decent shot but he's just not there anymore. He sadly struggled to get the cue through smoothly in a number of shots, it must have been tough for him to endure and probably sealed it in his mind that he shouldn't try again.

As the only 7 time winner in the modern era I think he deserves some kind of walk on ceremony at the crucible to celebrate his career I think it would be a fitting sporting moment for a great champion and his many fans.
    I think he has the same subconscious problem that a lot of low level amateurs have.

I've read about this and it makes sense, so I'll assume someone's actually done studies into it!!!

Basically the theory goes that subconsciously a weak player will not mentally focus 100% on the shot, so that if they miss they can tell themselves its okay, they aren't that bad, they just weren't trying 100% on that occasion. However in reality that pattern is repeated and that's why most casual players remain just that.

Pro's and high level amateurs are better mentally prepared and are able to accept the mental risk of failure in order to focus 100% (or close to) on the task in hand (in this case the shot), which gives them a far higher chance of success.

To me it looks like Hendry is going through that almost, he subconsciously can't bring himself to commit 100% because there is a fear that even then he couldn't do it.

Or it could just be the yips (whatever that is in scientific terms) or just a lack of caring, who knows!

Comment

• I See mark King was not happy in his match with Luca Brecel after frame 6 went to a re-spotted black, he seamed to say something to the referee, not sure what it was all about, Luca doubled the re-spotted black to make the frame score 3-3
      Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

• Wondered the same thing, clearly not happy in the clip we saw during the ROS interval.

Comment

• talking of which...there seems to be a correlation between ROS saying how much he doesn't care if he wins and whether he does or not.

I wonder if its a mental deflection technique of sorts to relieve pressure, by constantly telling yourself you don't care until you believe it.

Or maybe he really really does want to go off into the Jungle!

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            I saw 1 frame of Neil Robertson the other day and he looked in great form. So I'm putting him down as my outsider (on recent form) bet to win it, which usually means he'll be out in the next round. Sorry Neil.
            This is why I don't bet.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              talking of which...there seems to be a correlation between ROS saying how much he doesn't care if he wins and whether he does or not.

I wonder if its a mental deflection technique of sorts to relieve pressure, by constantly telling yourself you don't care until you believe it.

It is an either subconscious or conscious effort by Ronnie to take a some of the pressure and expectations off himself. He's been getting very good at it these last few years and it's done him well. I can't blame him either, expectations are a killer and he's had to struggle against them all his career. He's pretty clued up in that respect now.

Comment

• Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
                Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                talking of which...there seems to be a correlation between ROS saying how much he doesn't care if he wins and whether he does or not.

It is an either subconscious or conscious effort by Ronnie to take a some of the pressure and expectations off himself. He's been getting very good at it these last few years and it's done him well. I can't blame him either, expectations are a killer and he's had to struggle against them all his career. He's pretty clued up in that respect now.
                I agree it does seem to work for him pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Peters had recommended this approach to him to deflect the pressure and attention on him away.

There must be a huge release if you can actually convince yourself that you just there for a fun knock about and you are happy go lucky, not minding an early bath etc.

Im happy for him if this works but he's not fooling anyone else. He was properly gutted losing to Slessor.. If Ronnie turns up he's there to win.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Anybody else think that Davis is the worst commentator of the lot. Bring back the great WT I say.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Brilliant win for Mark King. Can he go all the way?
                    Last edited by The Boss; 5 December 2017, 06:57 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      Anybody else think that Davis is the worst commentator of the lot. Bring back the great WT I say.
                      Why aren't Virgo and Thorne commentating anymore?
                      sigpic
                      Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
                        Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        Anybody else think that Davis is the worst commentator of the lot. Bring back the great WT I say.
                        Why aren't Virgo and Thorne commentating anymore?
                        Been let go by the Beeb.
                        There is a thread on the Lounge sub-forum all about this.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I was with my parents earlier today and explained to my dad that he doesn't have to bother faffing about with the interactive button any more when he wants to watch live snooker, because there's now a dedicated, recordable red button channel. "Look," I said, grabbed the Sky remote and switched to channel 908 instead of 980.

908 is one of the Babestation channels. Damn you muscle memory :cower:
                          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                            I was with my parents earlier today and explained to my dad that he doesn't have to bother faffing about with the interactive button any more when he wants to watch live snooker, because there's now a dedicated, recordable red button channel. "Look," I said, grabbed the Sky remote and switched to channel 908 instead of 980.

908 is one of the Babestation channels. Damn you muscle memory :cower:
                            Did your dad make a note of 908?
                            :wink:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              I'm not sure his ticker and BP could handle that much thigh.
                              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                                Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                I'm not sure his ticker and BP could handle that much thigh.
                                There's thigh?

Comment

Working...
                                X