2017 Scottish Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    It's too bad Robertson won't be at the Masters. Playing like this, he would have been a serious contender.
    Especially when you consider the form of Selby and Hawkins this season. I really think the 2 year ranking system is rubbish and it needs scrapped. Not that a 1 year system would see Robertson in there.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
      Especially when you consider the form of Selby and Hawkins this season. I really think the 2 year ranking system is rubbish and it needs scrapped. Not that a 1 year system would see Robertson in there.
      If the cutoff would have been tomorrow instead of last Sunday he would have made it. I realize that the tournament directors and players need to know in advance who is going, but I really don't see a huge difference between four and five weeks of notice.

Having said that, he knew the rules in advance and overall he just hasn't played well enough recently to deserve a spot. Maguire and Day played better last week when it really counted. Still, a win tomorrow will go along way to getting him into the WC without having to qualify.

Comment

All ranking systems are based on form though, moving it up from 2 years will hinder new talent coming through so easily. Younger players are the life blood of the sport going onwards so it is hard to argue for that. Robertson has had a bad few seasons, he's not at the masters because he probably isn't in a position to challenge like some others are. Selby isn't in good form but I still think he would fair better than most under the spotlight and in a longer format.

Comment

• Robertson and Cao are now 16th and 17th in the provisional Players Championship rankings. The winner tomorrow is virtually guaranteed a spot. Cao is also now almost guaranteed a spot in the World Grand Prix. Since he won only two matches last year, if he plays evenly decently over the next 12 months he's going to move into the top 32. Great to see from a guy who really hasn't done much despite obviously being quite talented. He's still isn't 30 yet, so the future is looking pretty good.

With all of the talk about Yan and the other Chinese teenagers, it'll be interesting to see which of Xiao Guodong, Li Hang, Yu Delu, Cao Yupeng, and Tian Pengfei have the best career as they go into their 30s. Maybe one of them can get to the level that Liang Wenbo has gotten to.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
            By the way, if someone had told me before the season started that we would have as many as seven different Chinese players in the semi-finals of events by December, and that Liang Wenbo wouldn't even be one of them, I would have struggled to believe it. :smile:
            Not knowing but wouldn't it be a reasonable guess that they may be getting financial support from the Chinese government ? I've heard it said somewhere that there's a lot of Chinese players practising at the Sheffield Star academy so I don't think its that much of a surprise tbh.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trains View Post
              Not knowing but wouldn't it be a reasonable guess that they may be getting financial support from the Chinese government ? I've heard it said somewhere that there's a lot of Chinese players practising at the Sheffield Star academy so I don't think its that much of a surprise tbh.
              No bad thing, like our Olympics success with the government funding. It will only strengthen the sport. Chinese money and interest are just what snooker needs into the future.

Comment

• Originally Posted by trains View Post
                Yes Ding and Liang are/were receiving coaching from a friend of mine Garry Baldrey at Sheffield for some years. Several are still practising there frequently. The set up is immense.
                Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

• not really into waistcoats but got to say I love Cao Yupeng's gold with Chinese dragons one
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Robbo giving the fist-pump after winning the 2nd frame. What a blert.

-
                    The fast and the furious,
                    The slow and labourious,
                    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                      Robbo giving the fist-pump after winning the 2nd frame. What a blert.

-
                      What's a blert?

Comment

• Yup indeed Robbo what a turd...

Btw I really like Cao's style...meticulous and at the same time attacking.
                        Last edited by daffie; 17 December 2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Come on ! Good stuff

Comment

What's a blert?
                            Northern English for fool
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              A very polite definition Dean, but yes, there or there abouts. :wink:

-
                              The fast and the furious,
                              The slow and labourious,
                              All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                Oh, like a splaff?

Comment

Working...
                                X