• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
    Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Deliberate slow play has been used as a tactic for years, because it works.
    As I say, pure conjecture.

-
    No, players have admitted to using slow play as a tactic, some players will do anything they can to get into the head of their opponent, if you think different you're either seriously nieave or trolling.
    Last edited by Dave Walton; 14 April 2018, 10:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Only a few upsets in the first round. But with Cao, King and Gary Wilson a few pretty surprising ones.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Just like everyone else, I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. But I've played snooker and pool regularly for 40+ years, in that time I've played against as many slower opos as anyone else, and I can't ever remember thinking they were deliberately trying to slow the game down in order to frustrate me, all I see is an opponent who's rhythm is naturally slower than mine, or one who's wracked with indecision, which I take as a good sign, maybe even a compliment, not a problem.

But my main point is, we can never KNOW this of an opponent, only assume it, based on our own personal interpretation of their actions, which may well be clouded by all sorts of mental shenanigans, so when people start accusing other people of gamesmanship based upon these assumptions, they must also accept the possibility that they and their assumptions may well be wrong.

TBH, this POV always seems somewhat paranoid to me. I suspect it can also be a very handy excuse/comfort blanket for some having lost to a “lesser” player, but that's just an assumption on my part.

-
    Well and truthfully said.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    2018 World Championship

anyone know Chandler (playing Peter Lines)?
    just had a nice 99

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Higher seeded players are 50-7 and leading comfortably in all remaining QR1 matches. I thought the level of success was a bit unusual, but it's in line with recent history.

Since the new format began the higher seeded players have won 84% of the time.

2017 - 54-10
    2016 - 54-10
    2015 - 53-11

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Just like everyone else, I don't know, I'm not a mind reader. But I've played snooker and pool regularly for 40+ years, in that time I've played against as many slower opos as anyone else, and I can't ever remember thinking they were deliberately trying to slow the game down in order to frustrate me, all I see is an opponent who's rhythm is naturally slower than mine, or one who's wracked with indecision, which I take as a good sign, maybe even a compliment, not a problem.

But my main point is, we can never KNOW this of an opponent, only assume it, based on our own personal interpretation of their actions, which may well be clouded by all sorts of mental shenanigans, so when people start accusing other people of gamesmanship based upon these assumptions, they must also accept the possibility that they and their assumptions may well be wrong.

TBH, this POV always seems somewhat paranoid to me. I suspect it can also be a very handy excuse/comfort blanket for some having lost to a “lesser” player, but that's just an assumption on my part.

-
    Agree with this. I would also say that deliberately changing your pace could hurt yourself as much as your opponent.

Leave a comment:

• alabadi
    replied
    Ok , no worries

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Originally Posted by danam1 View Post
    Do you believe players don’t slow the game down on purpose then PB?

-

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
    I have a ticket for Sunday the 22nd April Evening session, which I can’t go to.
    Anyone fancy going PM me
    potentially but until I've seen the draw I've no idea if it's gonna be Selby v Mcleod or something!

Leave a comment:

• Steve748
    replied
    Originally Posted by armstm View Post
    Will he treat himself to a new wig?
    Syrup can't be that bad as I thought he was dying his hair!

Leave a comment:

• Steve748
    replied
    Originally Posted by sealer View Post
    Fairly easy, played it too slow. Should have stroked it in.
    The interviewer asking a typically stupid question...'how gutted were you at missing the final black' ... really?

Leave a comment:

• danam1
    replied

-
    Do you believe players don’t slow the game down on purpose then PB?

Leave a comment:

• alabadi
    replied
    I have a ticket for Sunday the 22nd April Evening session, which I can’t go to.
    Anyone fancy going PM me

Leave a comment:

• Darren88
    replied
    2018 World Championship

I fancy trump to win it this year. But I think it's more wide open than any other year. imagine if Williams got another 1 ?

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Deliberate slow play has been used as a tactic for years, because it works.

-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X