No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching the coverage on YouTube, it's interesting that they are doing a sort of golf style coverage, jumping from table to table. What does everyone think of it? I think it works reasonably well for the early rounds, though it sucks if you want to watch a specific match.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
      Isn't that simply because we're all different, so any beneficial effect of having a lead is going to vary from person to person, depending on their own individual psychological makeup?

-
      Definitely, and yet the announcers make it seem that there are general trends that apply to everybody. The other issue is that these are all professionals and the best in the world. The vast majority of players who tighten up or feel a lot of pressure are weeded out and aren't even on tour.

When a player misses a shot in a key moment, announcers want to always attribute it to some psychological reason. The reality is that players miss shots in random patterns and sometimes it's at a key moment and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes a shot is missed because the pockets are small and the game is hard and not because the player succumbed to pressure.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
        Definitely, and yet the announcers make it seem that there are general trends that apply to everybody. The other issue is that these are all professionals and the best in the world. The vast majority of players who tighten up or feel a lot of pressure are weeded out and aren't even on tour.

When a player misses a shot in a key moment, announcers want to always attribute it to some psychological reason. The reality is that players miss shots in random patterns and sometimes it's at a key moment and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes a shot is missed because the pockets are small and the game is hard and not because the player succumbed to pressure.
        Yes the do tend to generalise, one of the reasons I tend to avoid them these days.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• I wonder if Alan McManus has been practicing with Stephen Maguire. :wink:

-
          The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
            Watching the coverage on YouTube, it's interesting that they are doing a sort of golf style coverage, jumping from table to table. What does everyone think of it? I think it works reasonably well for the early rounds, though it sucks if you want to watch a specific match.
            Sign up to Betfred or Betfair, and you can watch one of four, with no commentary B)

McManus has a chance to go 3-3, but looks really grumpy....

Had....

Comment

I wonder if Alan McManus has been practicing with Stephen Maguire. :wink:

-
              Table thumping?

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                Table thumping?
                Spot on. He's very animated tonight isn't he.

-
                The slow and labourious,

Comment

• I just got home and looked at the scores. What the hell has happened to Liang? Down 7-0????

Comment

• Watching this on Facebook Live. Excellent stuff.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                      I just got home and looked at the scores. What the hell has happened to Liang? Down 7-0????
                      Pressure? :wink:

-
                      The slow and labourious,

Comment

• Durno about Liang, but as above McManus is decidedly grumpy and sulky. I didn't think he got like that - it is borderline toys out of pram stuff.

Comment

Pressure? :wink:

-
                          Obviously.

Comment

• If Jack wasn't so careless, he'd have more chances to implode like he did against Kyren....

6-2 in a sec or 50, for those not watching

Comment

• I think Lisowski's deliberately speeding the game up in order to unsettle McManus, seems to be working too.

-
                              The slow and labourious,

Comment

I think Lisowski's deliberately speeding the game up in order to unsettle McManus, seems to be working too.

-
                                Well, McManus deserves to be in a strop then as it's easier to slow a match down than speed it up?

Comment

Working...
                                X