X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vilkrang
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Ah! I see what you were doing here. You're a RO fan and were using reverse psychology on fate. It worked

I'm disappointed. RO is good for the game, no one can deny that, but I'm not looking forward to a tournament dominated by one player.
    Busted

I can still enjoy the tournament when he's not there but I do think the tournament is better when he is there in the latter stages. I'd much rather see something like last year with Ding putting in a great performance and beating Ronnie rather than Ronnie just not turning up like in the China Open or the first few frames of this tournament.

I am generally pretty pessimistic with regards to who I want to win though, last year every single quarter final went the opposite way that I wanted. Could have made a few quid if I'd put an accumulator on!

Leave a comment:

• kligu
    replied
    What a pleasant and entertaining championship so far: Good Ronnie comeback, great and exciting matches between Carter and Dott as well as between Murphy and Jones, all with the right outcome of course. Allen through and Selby out. I could not have wished for more so far!

Leave a comment:

• ManiaMuse
    replied
    It's not grammatically correct and sounds quite colloquial and passive voice but no one would misunderstand you if you said it and I would say it is a fairly often used expression.

'I was sat at the bar when x happened' etc. It's wrong but sounds fine in conversation. People wouldn't be confused if you said it.

Grammar is just a set of rules for people to use and abuse at their whim and that is how language evolves.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Great result!

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Fantastic win for Jones. I didn't watch the entire match, but from what I saw he really fought hard for every frame there. You could see how much he wanted it by the way he celebrated after winning one of the early frames yesterday to stay in touch. :smile:

Disappointing for Murphy then, but at least he didn't seem too bothered by the recent injury, so he won't have to obsess about what could have been...

Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    Fair point, but I'm not sure the odds would have been "very" different. I sometimes check odds for matches and I can't remember seeing someone being a 1/9 favorite. It routinely happens in tennis, but not so much in snooker.
    I suppose you could check what the odds are for Trump against Wakelin. That should probably be the extreme case of all the 1st round matches this year. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Great match from Jamie, held his nerve and played some great safety which give him the chance he needed, very well done. I'm Really looking forward to his match with Kyren, should be a corker.

-

Leave a comment:

• jimev
    replied
    Well played Jam Jones!

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    This is a great chance for Jones to win this frame and the match now.

Leave a comment:

• PatBlock
    replied
    Lovely 137 from Jamie to take it to the decider, c'mon JJ!!

-

Leave a comment:

• jimev
    replied
    Murphy v Jones has been a brilliant match to watch. Deciding frame coming up...

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    It's different depending on the players involved though. Selby and O'Sullivan just happened to draw Perry and Maguire this year, but they could have easily drawn someone like Highfield or Carrington and their odds would have been very different. :smile:
    Fair point, but I'm not sure the odds would have been "very" different. I sometimes check odds for matches and I can't remember seeing someone being a 1/9 favorite. It routinely happens in tennis, but not so much in snooker.

Maybe I'm thinking of best of 7 or best of 9 matches and not the longer format world championship matches where favourites win at a higher rate. I just looked at the Ryan Day vs Mitchell Mann match in qualification and Day was 1/11 so it does happen. But would Selby or O'Sullivan really a bigger favourite over a player who qualified for the crucible than Day over a player like Mann?

The other thing is the odds don't always reflect the real chance of a player winning. The odds are adjusted based on betting patterns and casual betters often bet on a name they recognize or a player they like.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    Surely the Historical Data is the place to start, rather than guessing?
    You talked me into it. Maybe tomorrow if I find the time.

Leave a comment:

• Stony152
    replied
    A question for you Brits.

"You can't do anything sat in your chair"

Is this grammatically correct in British English? It sounds very weird to me. Americans and Canadians would say "sitting"

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    I'm a jinx

Ding is playing pants....

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    He's playing well, and has Xiao in his pocket after that scrappy Frame....

Murphy imploding?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X