X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post

Whilst having a look it really highlighted to me how much higher the standard is these days.
    Performances in sports are always improving. Dott may not have scoring many high breaks, but he had other qualities he brought to the table in the 2006 World Championship.

Leave a comment:

• armstm
    replied
    ebdon is an excellent commentator

Leave a comment:

• vilkrang
    replied
    It is an achievement to win the WC even with a good draw and an imploding ROS, but only scoring one century en route to a WC win as Dott did is rather poor.

I've just had a quick look and the only previous times that has happened in the modern era I believe is Steve Davis in 1987 and 1984. Every other World Champion has scored at least 2 centuries (and considerably more in recent years).

Whilst having a look it really highlighted to me how much higher the standard is these days.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by strike101 View Post
    I think I've found my internet soulmate.......

Top stuff there mate. Do you do Analytics as a profession?
    please start your own thread elsewhere (or get a room somewhere :biggrin as you have confused the hell out of at least one TSF member here

Leave a comment:

• strike101
    replied
    Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
    In 1982 the WC went to a best of 19 first round with no more byes given to the top seeds. Since then here are the records of the top two seeded players in each round up to the final. (1982-2017)

#1 - 30-6, 23-7, 18-5, 14-4
    Percent - 83.3, 76.7, 78.3, 77.8

#2 - 29-7, 24-5, 15-9, 7-8
    Percent - 80.6, 82.8, 62.5, 46.7

Total - 59-13, 47-12, 33-14, 21-12
    Percent - 81.9, 79.7, 70.2, 63.6

The top seeds have performed very well with little drop off from round to round, while the second seeds have done relatively poorly in the quarter-finals and semi-finals. So I was right and wrong. 90% was too high as I said, but in general my percentages were too low.

0.833*0.806*0.767*0.828*0.783*0.625*0.778*0.467 = 0.076 = 7.6% chance of top two seeds meeting in final

1/0.076 = 13.2 It should happen, on average, every 13 years. The fact that it hasn't happened in 31 years is just one of those statistical anomalies. It'll probably happen a couple of times in the next 5-10 years.

100 - 83.3 = 16.7 and 100 - 80.6 = 19.4. 0.167*0.194 = 0.032 = 3.2% chance of both top seeds losing in the first round. This is once every 31 years and it hasn't happened in 35 years, though we came relatively close this year and very very close in 2012. So I was also wrong about this. The top two seeds losing in the first round is approximately half as likely as the top two seeds meeting in the final.
    I think I've found my internet soulmate.......

Top stuff there mate. Do you do Analytics as a profession?

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    Well said Pottr
    Especially when you consider he won it with a really dodgy, poorly made cue... eh Andy? x

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    You can't equate someone winning a World Snooker title with having a 'puncher's chance' at boxing.

You can maybe win one frame on outrageous look... but a world title? Come now.

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Anyone else who makes a derogatory comment like 'even Greame Dott won the WC' disqualifies their opinions.
    Although I agree in the case of Dott because he can and has played really well, but in some cases it's no different to boxing - someone gets a lucky punch or the opponent has an off night and you have a world champion who wouldn't normally be considered a world-class contender, even if they're better than the 99%. Especially the way Dott and Ebdon played in their final!

Leave a comment:

• Dave Walton
    replied
    Anyone else notice Robertson seemed to have damaged his tip in the final frame yesterday? Cursed under his breath (f*ck) as he was looking at his tip walking out of the arena.

Leave a comment:

• bigandyg
    replied
    Well said Pottr

Leave a comment:

• pottr
    replied
    2018 World Championship

Anyone else who makes a derogatory comment like 'even Greame Dott won the WC' disqualifies their opinions.

if it's that easy, I'll sit here with baited breath waiting for jonny anonymous to qualify and lift the title...

Oh, don't forget the additional runner up medals too!

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Originally Posted by vilkrang View Post
    Also, that long red that Lisowski potted in frame 12 yesterday was absolutely outrageous, particularly with the table being so open.

I really hope that they don't have the Williams fluke nominated for shot of the tournament as it will probably win because it looked good but at the end of the day it was a total fluke to pot it and no matter how flashy it looks, a fluke shouldn't be shot of the tournament.
    Would be a good idea if they showed the top 5 outrageous flukes alongside the shot of the Tournament

Leave a comment:

• vilkrang
    replied
    Also, that long red that Lisowski potted in frame 12 yesterday was absolutely outrageous, particularly with the table being so open.

I really hope that they don't have the Williams fluke nominated for shot of the tournament as it will probably win because it looked good but at the end of the day it was a total fluke to pot it and no matter how flashy it looks, a fluke shouldn't be shot of the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• vilkrang
    replied
    Just want to reiterate what others have said about Ebdon, ie. that he was an an incredible attacking shot maker and would go for some shots that would seem like outright lunacy but would get them quite often.

In his latter years the speed at which he played was stupidly slow but he was still going for the crazy shots. If you hear him in commentary his co-commentators often make comments as to the crazy shots he would play.

He was definitely an attacking player throughout his career, just not a very fast player towards the end.

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Good to see Walden and Lisowski win yesterday.
    Today it will be interesting to see if Neil Robertson can come back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X