No announcement yet.

2019 Snooker Shoot-Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice that Jimmy just mentioned that Un-Nooh plays in my home town Darlington, with the other Thai players and a lot of the Chinese players, that's the nearest i'll get to being a pro

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Nice that Jimmy just mentioned that Un-Nooh plays in my home town Darlington, with the other Thai players and a lot of the Chinese players, that's the nearest i'll get to being a pro
      I have found it strange that Akani does not practice at Q House, any idea why?

Comment

• Well done Thepchaiya. Loved the 139. Great break in the final to boot.

Thoroughly deserved the win. I like Holt as well, so commiserations, but in all fairness couldn't really do a lot.

Comment

• Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
          I have found it strange that Akani does not practice at Q House, any idea why?
          Yes i know why (or what iv'e been told), he used to play there, but something about Akani's father who is also his manager wouldn't pay the regular fee for practicing there, something about when they are away on tour he didn't want to pay, so a bit of a falling out.
          I'm pretty sure Akani now plays in Greenbaize shop, which is only 15 minutes up the road, but surely he cannot be getting the serious match practice he requires ???
          Edit: plus Q house has Star tables, Greenbaize only has Riley Aristocrats (unless things have changed) which might make a difference
          Last edited by jrc750; 24 February 2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Yes i know why (or what iv'e been told), he used to play there, but something about Akani's father who is also his manager wouldn't pay the regular fee for practicing there, something about when they are away on tour he didn't want to pay, so a bit of a falling out.
            I'm pretty sure Akani now plays in Greenbaize shop, which is only 15 minutes up the road, but surely he cannot be getting the serious match practice he requires ???
            Edit: plus Q house has Star tables, Greenbaize only has Riley Aristocrats (unless things have changed) which might make a difference
            He streams a lot of practice on facebook he mainly practices at I think Thornaby snooker club and like you said in Green Baize when in the UK. Mainly solo practice from what I have seen. Mike Dunn has a few frames with him once in a while but apart from that I have not really seen him play anyone decent in practice. Mike did say the one time it's shame he could not come to the Q House, so I figured something had happened.

Comment

• Watched a little bit of the final rounds yesterday and while it still doesn't do much for me, it wasn't as bad as I remembered it from last year (except the crowd that it...). Seems like the players had fun at least and Un-Nooh was a joy to watch.
              However it stays: This should NEVER NEVER NEVER be a ranking event. It can be a nice fun event for the players, a chance to earn a little bit. But nothing more. Hate it to see the players rushed. Much of the beautiful strategic aspects of snooker go out to the window. The atmosphere is horrible.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                Yep...that's my exact point...there is always a marginal favourite and I was pedantically pointing it out.

I completely agree that for all intensive purposes its basically a lottery!
                intents and purposes I believe.

I liken this to local league snooker, one frame but shortened to ten minutes with a shot clock to keep it interesting. Difference is that the high handicapper (lower ranked) has to score a start to defend, Lawler has that sussed, but if you let in the scratch player (higher ranked) he'll clean up if he gets the run of the balls.
                Take away the moronic behaviour of a section of the audience and it's a winner for me, especially not having to dress like a butler

Un Nooh deserved it, superb talent and if the refs kept up with him more he'd flourish in other tournaments as well. Having to wait when you're ready to play the shot is a distraction.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                  ... he mainly practices at I think Thornaby snooker club and like you said in Green Baize when in the UK. ....
                  In case you didn't know the Greenbaize shop is directly above Thornaby snooker club

Comment

In case you didn't know the Greenbaize shop is directly above Thornaby snooker club
                    I thought it was, but was not sure.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      intents and purposes I believe.
                      Well played...I genuinely had no idea, ha!

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      I liken this to local league snooker, one frame but shortened to ten minutes with a shot clock to keep it interesting. Difference is that the high handicapper (lower ranked) has to score a start to defend, Lawler has that sussed, but if you let in the scratch player (higher ranked) he'll clean up if he gets the run of the balls.
                      Take away the moronic behaviour of a section of the audience and it's a winner for me, especially not having to dress like a butler

Un Nooh deserved it, superb talent and if the refs kept up with him more he'd flourish in other tournaments as well. Having to wait when you're ready to play the shot is a distraction.
                      Its quite tough for the refs though, it physically takes a few seconds to walk round from behind the player, pick the ball out of the pocket, spot it, make sure its correctly spotted and then get out of the way. I'm not sure they can go much quicker, unless you have a ball return mechanism like on pool tables (that may help on pinks and blacks at least).

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                        I'm watching a Eurosport feed without commercials and the announcer does try to rile the crowd up between matches. He tells them to yell and get louder.
                        That must be new this year. I went last year, highly regretted it and found the idiots in the audience just too much. It was a slog to be honest so I got drunk and fell sleep in the evening session. However, they did not have people coming up between frames to wind the crowd up. They are already there mixing football chants and abuse into snooker. That is what got on my goat.
                        Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

• I went on Sunday. Please don't lump me in the the OTT members of the crowd though! Its local and not bad spectator day out. Couldn't agree more with others, a bit of fun, chance for the players to win a bit but, IMHO its not really snooker and no way should it be a ranking event.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                            Its quite tough for the refs though, it physically takes a few seconds to walk round from behind the player, pick the ball out of the pocket, spot it, make sure its correctly spotted and then get out of the way. I'm not sure they can go much quicker, unless you have a ball return mechanism like on pool tables (that may help on pinks and blacks at least).
                            This is the problem, you don't have to stand behind the player, it never used to be so, as long as the ref keeps still he/she can stand in a place where they can quickly take the colour out of the pocket and spot it before the player gets around the table for the next red.
                            Even when all the reds have been potted you see the refs following the players around the table to stand behind them while they're clearing the colours, this is a distraction for the faster players who need to keep their rhythm just like the slower players.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• I did notice the referees were more flexible with their positioning and doing their job whilst the cue ball and other balls were still moving - well - as much as possible
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                                This is the problem, you don't have to stand behind the player, it never used to be so, as long as the ref keeps still he/she can stand in a place where they can quickly take the colour out of the pocket and spot it before the player gets around the table for the next red.
                                Even when all the reds have been potted you see the refs following the players around the table to stand behind them while they're clearing the colours, this is a distraction for the faster players who need to keep their rhythm just like the slower players.
                                Oh I agree it seems strange, but it also seems like they all do it now. I vaguely recall some of the players (possibly ROS on Eurosport...but possibly not) moaning about the positioning, hence they stand behind them...but then that leads to slower re-spotting!

Comment

Working...
                                X