No announcement yet.

2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olivier Marteel does not allow the audience to make any noise, a laugh comes from the other table and he is immediately in with "quiet please!" and no player was at the table, he replacing the cue ball!
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Slightly off-topic... I watched that feature on Eurosport just now with Williams and Higgins talking about their World final last year, and it's interesting how we often only remember the best bits. To say that "John couldn't have played much better" is a little misleading in my opinion, because the final session (as fantastic as it was) was only one quarter of the match. It was one of the best sessions I've ever seen, no doubt about that, but the match in its entirety was not as good as they were making it out to be.

It's funny, that infamous Dott-Ebdon final in 2006 had a fantastic final session as well, but it couldn't quite make up for the hours of crap the two players served us in the first three sessions, so that match is almost never remembered fondly nowadays. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
        Slightly off-topic... I watched that feature on Eurosport just now with Williams and Higgins talking about their World final last year, and it's interesting how we often only remember the best bits. To say that "John couldn't have played much better" is a little misleading in my opinion, because the final session (as fantastic as it was) was only one quarter of the match. It was one of the best sessions I've ever seen, no doubt about that, but the match in its entirety was not as good as they were making it out to be.

It's funny, that infamous Dott-Ebdon final in 2006 had a fantastic final session as well, but it couldn't quite make up for the hours of crap the two players served us in the first three sessions, so that match is almost never remembered fondly nowadays. :smile:
        I'm with you on this. Many people right after the final last year talked about how great it was. But in reality I think this is because of 1) the final session, as you pointed out and 2) of the legendary status of the players involved, who both have their share of fans.
        I remember thinking early on that Higgins was far from his best and that he would need a miracle to come back, which didn't exactly add to the suspense of the match. This was a little different the year before, when everybody actually expected Selby to pull of the comeback.

Comment

• Robertson is winning all the crucial close frames.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
            Robertson is winning all the crucial close frames.
            That is what makes him so dangerous.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              Olivier Marteel does not allow the audience to make any noise, a laugh comes from the other table and he is immediately in with "quiet please!" and no player was at the table, he replacing the cue ball!
              That German ref eckhart is probably worse, sounds like a snappy little **** when he starts squawking as well.

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                That is what makes him so dangerous.
                This is generally a strength of many top players, especially Higgins and (former) Selby. But in this way I actually meant that this is one of Murphy's weaknesses compared to other elite players.

Comment

• And again. Hoping Murphy wins frame 16 so we have a close final session.

Comment

• Robertson potting beautifully, hard to see who could stop him on this form.

-
                    The fast and the furious,
                    The slow and labourious,
                    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

• Murphy should have been 8 - 8 at least. Can't see him turning this around.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187
                        Maybe if he would stay off TV between sessions he'd be more focussed. On again, talking about how great Robertson is. Get on the damn practice table and focus on how you're going to win the next session 7-2. Stupid.
                        Whose brilliant idea was it to have a player still active in the tournament commentate on another match between sessions of his own? It would be like a Liverpool player commentating on a match between Chelsea and City the day before his own next match. It's ludicrous.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                          Whose brilliant idea was it to have a player still active in the tournament commentate on another match between sessions of his own? It would be like a Liverpool player commentating on a match between Chelsea and City the day before his own next match. It's ludicrous.
                          I can't imagine he is contractually obligued, so it can only be his decision. Bizarre.

Comment

• Looks like Robertson is betting favourite. is that a recent thing or purely down to being 2 sessions ahead of the trump/ding progress wise? I fancied Robertson going in to the tournament, his odds must've shortened loads

Comment

• Anyone know whatever happened to Alan Hughes who used to do the introductions to the matches years ago? I'm guessing he retired but he was doing it so long i don't remember him ever getting any kind of special mention that it was his last time doing it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                                Anyone know whatever happened to Alan Hughes who used to do the introductions to the matches years ago? I'm guessing he retired but he was doing it so long i don't remember him ever getting any kind of special mention that it was his last time doing it.
                                He retired after the BBC wanted to change his role a bit. I remember him getting interviewed and he said he was being asked to do guided tours of The Crucible amongst other things. He wasn't happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X