2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by richiet View Post
    A commentator comment yesterday got me wondering...

Who do you think are among the best players who never got to play in 1-table set-up at Crucible in a WC.?

Did Willie Thorne, Tony Meo, Neal Foulds ever do it for instance?
    Meo and Foulds did it, Thorne did not. There are actually no really high-profile players that have never appeared in the SF at the Crucible. The biggest names from the 80s that have not are Patsy Fagan, Bill Werbeniuk, Mike Hallett and Gary Wilkinson, who I believe is the highest ranked player ever (at no.5) not to have reached a SF at the Crucible.

The biggest names in the more recent times are Ryan Day and Dominic Dale, so nothing really notable. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
      So Dennis Patterson (AKA Tim Healey) is a fan of Gary Wilson. I've been thinking about running my Auf Wiedersehen, Pet box set just recently, but that's sealed it. Howay and bollocks, etc.
      Taylor only mentioned that so he could slip in his hourly reference to 1985.

Comment

• Great final black for this session... suprising score. Although pressure starts to creep in on both of them, Gilbert seems to handle it better than Higgins does. Well done.

Third session tonight John might come out with all guns blazing. Might have to.
        "That pocket moved!"

Comment

• I've gone from wondering what a Dave Gilbert v Gary Wilson final would look like to actually wanting it now.

Higgins has been so poor and so has Trump.

Comment

• Originally Posted by snookerball View Post
            I've gone from wondering what a Dave Gilbert v Gary Wilson final would look like to actually wanting it now.

Higgins has been so poor and so has Trump.
            Higgins has been poor in the final so far. Gilbert probably should have pushed even further ahead. From 8-3 down, Higgins probably isn't devastated by a 4 frame deficit over this distance, although that last frame must have hurt a bit.

Trump has been average at times, but outstanding in spells too. He finished well against Ding and demolished Maguire. He played well enough to justify 4-4 against Wilson in the first session, and his long potting seemed improved over earlier rounds.

Overall, I still think both games will finish close. Gilbert and Wilson have handled the pressure well so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets overwhelmed by the occassion when it gets to the final session.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
              Meo and Foulds did it, Thorne did not. There are actually no really high-profile players that have never appeared in the SF at the Crucible. The biggest names from the 80s that have not are Patsy Fagan, Bill Werbeniuk, Mike Hallett and Gary Wilkinson, who I believe is the highest ranked player ever (at no.5) not to have reached a SF at the Crucible.

The biggest names in the more recent times are Ryan Day and Dominic Dale, so nothing really notable. :smile:
              always liked watching ryan day play, shame has hasn't progressed to the one table setup

not sure the words "best players" and Willie Thorne belong in the same post tbh . without wishing him back, do we know why he hasn't been commentating this year? alan mcmanus seems to have replaced him with the occasional murphy thrown in. i never thought the not-so-great-WT was a good commentator, spent the whole time either talking about himself or stating the obvious

good to hear some proper technical commentary this year. Hendry i think is good in this regard, McManus and Murphy too. if anything, Doherty seems to be the new WT, making jokes and not bringing a lot to the discussion

Comment

• Originally Posted by ThePhantomPotter View Post
                always liked watching ryan day play, shame has hasn't progressed to the one table setup

not sure the words "best players" and Willie Thorne belong in the same post tbh . without wishing him back, do we know why he hasn't been commentating this year? alan mcmanus seems to have replaced him with the occasional murphy thrown in. i never thought the not-so-great-WT was a good commentator, spent the whole time either talking about himself or stating the obvious

good to hear some proper technical commentary this year. Hendry i think is good in this regard, McManus and Murphy too. if anything, Doherty seems to be the new WT, making jokes and not bringing a lot to the discussion
                Thorne was ditched a couple of seasons ago. No one ever said the reason. I guess his gambling addiction and bankruptcy just wasn't an image the BBC was comfortable with.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                  Thorne was ditched a couple of seasons ago. No one ever said the reason. I guess his gambling addiction and bankruptcy just wasn't an image the BBC was comfortable with.
                  It's interesting that of the two "new guys" Murphy got a lot more airtime than Ebdon. I don't think Ebdon even called one match after the first round. McManus, Murphy, and Ebdon have basically replaced Thorne and Griffiths. I wonder how long Taylor and Virgo have until they are put out to pasture. Taylor just turned 70 and Virgo is 73.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
                    I wonder how long Taylor and Virgo have until they are put out to pasture. Taylor just turned 70 and Virgo is 73.
                    I think Virgo will be around as long as he likes. I have always liked his commentary. Him and McManus are my favourite commentators and Hendry is another I like. Have actually quite enjoyed listening to Murphy, too.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mcsilks View Post
                      I think Virgo will be around as long as he likes. I have always liked his commentary. Him and McManus are my favourite commentators and Hendry is another I like. Have actually quite enjoyed listening to Murphy, too.
                      Murphy is far better this year. Last year he just wouldn't stop talking, I think he got overexcited/nervous. Edbon isn't for me. Again, sometimes less is more.

I don't mind any of the others. I don't find their commentary too intrusive.

Comment

• I really like watching Gary Wilson play and hopes he continues this form into next season. Would like to see him get a place in the 16. He has an unorthodox style and shot selection which makes him a great watch.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mcsilks View Post
                          I really like watching Gary Wilson play and hopes he continues this form into next season. Would like to see him get a place in the 16. He has an unorthodox style and shot selection which makes him a great watch.
                          If Wilson wins this match he will climb to 14th in the rankings.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                            If Wilson wins this match he will climb to 14th in the rankings.
                            You sure? I make it 17th.

Comment

• A match is always more interesting when Virgo is commentating and I think he's started to ease off the whole "where's the cueball going". He's starting to make a few goofs though which makes me worry about his health and I don't think Virgo and Davis are a good match together. When Virgo suggested Higgins might have left the arena to splash water on his face to freshen up Davis said that was a ridiculous suggestion and was clearly mocking Virgo. It's entirely possible a player could splash water on their face so Davis was being unkind. Thankfully though Virgo didn't bite and quickly changed the subject. Virgo and Doherty always works well together.

There are probably a lot of younger fans that don't know how popular Virgo was back in the 70s and 80s doing his impressions and trick shots. I can watch this clip over and over again.

www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

• Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                                You sure? I make it 17th.
                                I have him at 20th as it stands with another £100k if he makes the final. I think he'd actually be 15th, just a little behind Shaun Murphy but above Luca Brecel.

Comment

Working...
                                X