2019 World Snooker Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Sure, I can see the logic in being more disappointed by losing a final than by losing at any other stage, but sometimes you just have to consider the situation rationally and accept that this was the second-best result you could have got. 126 players did worse than you, and only one did better. :smile:
    Yeah, as I say it's only the title that counts.
    And last year it added to the disappointment, that he was the favourite going into the final.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Stony152 View Post
      This kind of thing never happens in Canada or the US. 50 years ago a network left an NFL football game before it finished to show the film Heidi. There was such an uproar that it's never happened since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

I think it disrespects snooker and I really don't understand why the governing body keeps their relationship with the BBC. I'm sure Sky Sport would love to carry some snooker and would offer the same amount of money and actually show all of the matches.

The best solution is what happens in Canada. Many years ago the CBC carried all of the most important sporting events, but now there are two sports networks (TSN and Sportsnet) and they have the rights to 95% of the sport shown on Canadian TV. During events like the Olympics one of two main networks (CBC or CTV) get the rights, but then they partner with one of the sports networks so all of the events can be shown. I don't understand why the BBC can't find a place other than the red button or iPlayer to show all of the matches.
      Well the Olympics will be trialling this format with a Eurosport and BBC deal next time round. And to be fair they already do this with the snooker.

But many of us don't have Eurosport.

Comment

• 14-14. Higgins is surely the favourite now.

Comment

• Originally Posted by nevets View Post
          Weirdly, although Higgins has reached another semi, and still might make another final, he looks like he's finished to me.
          Can admin delete this please.
          Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

• Evening session at 7.30pm tonight.

Comment

• Strangest re-rack I've ever seen.

Good sport from John there.

Comment

• That's a rather strange re-rack.

Comment

• Who suggested it first, Dave or John?
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                    Who suggested it first, Dave or John?
                    John .....

Comment

John suggested first. Thought he was joking to be honest.

Comment

• I'll never understand why the crowd roar with laughter at the commentators little jokes, they are not that funny, maybe a smile is warranted but to lol, nah ......

Comment

• What are your views on the commentary team coming out with humorous comments thus making the audience laugh and potentially putting the players off?

My view is that earpieces are a good addition, but the commentary team should stick to commentating and not coming up with quips.

John Virgo earlier said 'nice parting' referring to the referees hair. That made me lol, as did many of the audience.

Comment

Gilbert, from what I heard.

Comment

• Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              Gilbert, from what I heard.
                              No it was Higgins - Gilbert was getting down for his shot.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mcsilks View Post
                                What are your views on the commentary team coming out with humorous comments thus making the audience laugh and potentially putting the players off?

My view is that earpieces are a good addition, but the commentary team should stick to commentating and not coming up with quips.
                                The commentary's not aimed at the audience in the arena (I'd actually ban earpieces - even when they aren't causing laughs they're too loud) but that's another, it's aimed at the people at home. The humour can often be a nice little distraction in less interesting frames. They obviously shouldn't make jokes while someones cueing but between shots whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X