X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie pulls out from Bahrain

http://www.grovesnooker.co.uk/bahrain2008.htm

STATEMENT - BAHRAIN SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP 2008

With a great deal of regret I have decided to pull out of the Bahrain tournament.

I have been very run down recently due to my hectic playing and promotional schedule, and my doctor has advised me to rest for a couple of weeks. I realise it is not good for me or the tournament if I am way below my best and don’t want to run the risk of exacerbating the problem and making myself more ill, potentially jeopardising the rest of the season, so I think it is right for me to take my doctor’s advice in the circumstances.

I am very sorry not to be competing in Bahrain as I am sure the tournament will be a great success and I look forward to taking part in competitions there in the future.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, 03.11.08
    I know what's coming ...
    Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
    http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Hmmm sadly so do I. But what will a fine do? Nothing. Rankin points docked? He'll still be No.1. I dont know Ronnie. You'll be missed over there.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

But what about Steve Davis then? Can he play in Bahrain when he has Premier League? He thought "I'll lose so I can play Premier League" but now when Ronnie is out?
      #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Why a fine? Oh man, here we go again! "Bringing the game into disrepute", "he can't choose what tournaments to enter", etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.
        Hope he will get better and be able to compete in the latter tournaments.
        Also hope Graeme Dott's hand is doing better.
        S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

That's awful, the whole tournament is becoming a farce, too many people missing out.

I guess Steve Davis can still lose against whoever will be his next opponent Or just pull out now, not much of a difference.
          Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Without Ronnie, Ding and Selby around I guess everyone else is fancying their chances now.
            "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

Between everyone in snooker this tournament has turned into a total shambles

I have no problem with players picking and choosing events but if they don't intend to play they shouldn't enter

Comment

When I said about what is coming ... I was meaning on the forums. I don't think there will be any fine or whatever. Not with a medical note and a well diagnosed condition.
                For me I just hope he's fine for the UK and can defend his title... but health comes first. So first and foremost I hope he gets better soon and takes care of himself properly.
                Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

No comment to make about ROS, weve been through all that discussion for the Shanghai last year.

But this makes a big difference for Davis, and gives him a real dilemma. He would have known he was extremely unlikely to beat Ronnie. But now i think hes straight through to the last 16. Question is what can he afford least; loose guarenteed and valuable ranking points by going home and playing in the league, or stay in Bahrain and loose money and possibly damage his repuataion in getting sued by Hearn.
                  "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

If Ronnie has a doctor's note then there won't be any disciplinary action. Ronnie doesn't like going to foreign countries, he's frightened of terrorists so this is no surprise. He can afford the points. It's turning into a shambles - no Higgins, no Ding, no Ronnie, no Dott, no Selby, and Davis possibly to pull out if he reaches the quarters which he's probably going to do now. That's FIVE top 16 players who won't be present and a possible withdrawal on the cards.
                    Last edited by Templeton Peck; 3 November 2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that it was in principle possible for Steve Davis to play the last 16 match and then go back. Can't remember where though...
                      Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                        When I said about what is coming ... I was meaning on the forums. I don't think there will be any fine or whatever. Not with a medical note and a well diagnosed condition. ...
                        Quite so. The fact that a certain player has pulled out of tournaments in the past in different circumstances, should not mean he is prejudged when he is withdrawing on genuine medical advice.

As with Davis, not sure what will happen now. I would think he will get a bye into the second round and then get the loser's points for the later round, for which he doesn't show up!

There is certainly more grounds for O'Sullivan to get the ranking points than for Davis, who has entered a competition knowing that he cannot complete it if he gets that far. Same with Dott – he did not know at the time of entering the event that he would not be fit to play (let's not bring into question the reasons for the medical unfitness; that is a very subjective area).

Comment

Davis was certainly counting on being hammered by Ronnie. He's got to throw his second round match now, it's his only way out. Just so long as he misses easy balls (he does that often enough anyway) rather than selecting suspect shots they won't be able to prove anything. He can't turn up his nose at 1900 points, and if he withdraws he would run the risk of forfeiting all his points for the tournament.

Comment

Well, he just does not feel to go.

I guess The WSA has made a lot of friends now in Bahrain, planning this tournament, at the same time with the PL. Especially some major players pulling out due to other commitments or a sicky.

Well done Walker!

Comment

Ronnie pulls out from Bahrain ... probably for the better as she would have drained him for other more worthy conquests to come.

=o)

Noel

... Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has left the auditorium...

Comment

Working...
                              X