No announcement yet.

Importance of the Malta Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he missed it last year for a non existant pool tournament didnt he? or was that Malta?

Comment

that was 2005, I think - the year Ding won it. yeah, seems like Ronnie doesn't like to travel much - perhaps he has his own reasons, I can't blame him.
      ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

i dont understand why a professional snooker player does not give any importance for a ranking tournament...

luck plays its part a lot as well. i watched a lot of the malta cup and some players did play bad but others were really unlucky too

Comment

It's already a cliche to say that first-round best-of-nines quite often prove to be serious threats to seeded players, regardless of the tournament. Players with qualifying matches under their belt have an obvious advantage, having arrived to the tournament and the venue sooner, having adjusted to the conditions, having more time to practise etc.
          This stated, the main attraction for the seeded players is the amount of ranking points, in my opinion. The Malta Cup prize fund was ludicrous last year - 11,000 pounds for the winner, deary me ! - and it's gone up to 30,000 pounds this year. Look at the Masters prize fund for a comparison. So lower-seeded players may be doubly motivated by this.
          As far as Ronnie is concerned, he seems to have an obvious dislike for travelling abroad and it goes very far back, to the early nineties, when serious things happened while he was playing in Thailand. Add to that the relaxation after such a great win at the Masters, the relief of finding out he can still win tournaments in style, having arrived to Portomaso on the day the match was to take place and...look what happened.
          And those were just off-table reasons. Holt was the better player yesterday, no doubt about it. Fired by all his previous defeats to Ronnie - all 4 or 5 of them - and having demolished Parrott his state of mind was exactly the right one.
          Higgins admited to have been "disgusted" with his performance. Ding didn't say a word. Williams' form has been suffering lately.
          Now where was I going with this? Oh yeah... I think tournaments like Malta Cup are more tempting to lower-seeded players, for more reasons than one. Having said that, I would love it if a surprise winner emerged on Sunday. I won't say who, because I don't want to jinx him.
          Go MK!
          S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

BC, I am quite sure Ronnie arrived the night before yesterday, not on the match day...
            ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by Black_cat
              Having said that, I would love it if a surprise winner emerged on Sunday. I won't say who, because I don't want to jinx him.
              Go MK!
              Mark King?!

PS: Is that jinx enough?

Comment

I tend to sgree Cat in everything she said , in fact i really do. Ronnie was a bit out of sots there , not in the right mood and up for the game , maybe a bit tired , dunno , anyway his performance wasnt that bad (the only bad part is that he lost ) in my opinion . I remembered what he said after losing to Fu in 2003 Worlds , after making that 147 , that he wasnt at all up for the match , in no mood to play ,but the balls simply went in . Same happened in Malta i think. Needless to say that Holt played very well , in fact i dunno if i ever saw him playing better than he did last night.
                As for Higgo , dunno , his game doesnt seem to work as it used to , since Masters ...i thik he said it himself. Matthew ..well i think he has a problem of concentration he seems to lose it at times and miss easy balls , like black from its spot. Hopefully he will improve for the next tournaments and will stay at least in first 32.
                Maybe for this Malta Cup we will have the final we less expected .

Err , Cat you cheering for the King there ? I am with ya
                "I just want to live for the moment.Tomorrow's not important, next month is not important,what's happened in the past is not important.That's my journey... and I like the journey i'm on!" R.O'Sullivan
                Winner of 2008 UK Championship Prediction Contest
                Winner of 2010 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Ellena
                  Err , Cat you cheering for the King there ? I am with ya
                  I can't follow a tournament without choosing a favourite, although not for lack of trying. So given all my favs are out I'll go for one of the dark horses. Yes.
                  Now it would only be natural for Mark to lose against Holt, simply because I want him to win. (Kidding! )
                  S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

I can't follow a tournament without choosing a favourite, although not for lack of trying.
                    I'm with you there. It's just ... no. I have to have someone to root for. But then again I also talk to my telly, so I'm obviously not the sanest person around.
                    Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Talk to the telly? That all? How about pacing the room, shouting at the innocent telly, cursing wildly and covering one's eyes?
                      If that qualifies me as "not the sanest person around" then I am honoured to be in good company.
                      S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

Talk to the telly? That all? How about pacing the room, shouting at the innocent telly, cursing wildly and covering one's eyes?
                        If that qualifies me as "not the sanest person around" then I am honoured to be in good company.
                        Ok, so I shout too. In several languages. Happy?!

1 1/2 hour 'till liftoff, I need to go shopping!
                        Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Working...
                        X