No announcement yet.

***Malta Cup Will Be Held This Season***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks as if this means the end of Tony Drago as he will be missing the Welsh Open qualifiers. Not much of a surprise as he has 9 ball pool now anyway.
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul
      Looks as if this means the end of Tony Drago as he will be missing the Welsh Open qualifiers. Not much of a surprise as he has 9 ball pool now anyway.
      What about Dominic Dale?
      He won't be skipping the Welsh Open surely?
      'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

I don't think the welsh qualifier and malta clash
        ---

Comment

Welsh qualifiers and Malta do not clash, so Tony can compete in both.

Dale doesn't have to qualify for the Welsh. The last 48 go through to the venue automatically. Good to see he got a wildcard after all even though it is not the much longed for Masters one.

Comment

Good they have changed it then. As the Welsh Qualifying was from the 5th to 9th of Feb I think but they have put it back to January. Finally a decent decision from the WSA.
            TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

It seems as if Ronnie's management team booked a ticket for Ronnie without asking the man himself... apparently, he never intended to enter the event (the official version anyway, rather than pulling out which would look rather bad at this stage).

So Ronnie O'Sullivan join Steve Davis in not going to the Malta Cup. This means Joe Perry will fill in for him, hooray for that!

Comment

Hege, you are referring to this, right?
                http://www.worldsnooker.com/tourname...19057)-106.htm

MALTA CUP

06 Dec 2007 14:36:00

World Snooker received an entry form for the Malta Cup from Ronnie O'Sullivan's management company, 110sport, which was accepted in good faith (read on below).

However, there was a misunderstanding between Ronnie and his management and it transpired that Ronnie did not wish to enter the event. Therefore Ronnie O’Sullivan will not appear in the tournament and the next player on the ranking list will be selected as his replacement
                I was just wondering about the source, that's all
                ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

That was sort of the reason why the event is now an invitational event to make sure all the top players are there and now that Ronnie has pulled out there isn't much point in it being invitational, it should go back to being a ranking event.
                  TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

Yes, april.

Comment

Alex, I don't get your line of reasoning ...
                      Ronnie has exerted his right not to go to an invitational event. So what? Especially if you consider the Welsh Open is starting just the day after the final of the Malta cup...
                      I would not be surprised if others did the same. They should in my opinion, if only to send a clear signal to WSA about poor timing and organisation. First the event was not on the calander, now it's almost colliding with a ranker!
                      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

They point is they changed the format to an invitational event so they could guarentee that the top players would play in it rather than have matches like Pettman v Roe in a quarter final if they had it as a ranking event. As O'Sullivan or if anyone else had pulled out what is the point then of changing the format?

EDIT: Plus Ronnie wouldn't be playing in the Welsh Open straight away as the first two days are when the Last 48 is played.
                        TSF World Champion 2010

Comment

Lack of proper communication between a player and his management company? Slip-up from the latter? Hm...
                          There is a difference between "pulling out" and "not entering" an event. Quite a blow for the paying audience, since O'Sullivan has always had high rating figures but this announcement came early enough for other arrangements to be made.
                          Another little controversy to keep us busy on the eve of the UK.

Later edit: serves them right! (the WSA, I mean!) For the shameful, pitiful way they conducted their business about this tournament in 2006 and awarded the winner, Ken Doherty, with the grand total of 11.000 pounds in prize money, turning the entire event into a chase for ranking points, which, of course, are considered to be legal tender in most countries. Let me say that again. 11 thousand pounds. I can only hope he had his travel and accomodation expenses covered so as not to be forced to pay out of his own pocket for the honour of holding the trophy. *rolls eyes*
                          I'm done ranting.
                          This whole thing could have been avoided with the help of effective communication.
                          S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique
                            Alex, I don't get your line of reasoning ...
                            Ronnie has exerted his right not to go to an invitational event. So what? Especially if you consider the Welsh Open is starting just the day after the final of the Malta cup...
                            I would not be surprised if others did the same. They should in my opinion, if only to send a clear signal to WSA about poor timing and organisation. First the event was not on the calander, now it's almost colliding with a ranker!
                            Originally Posted by Alex0paul
                            EDIT: Plus Ronnie wouldn't be playing in the Welsh Open straight away as the first two days are when the Last 48 is played.
                            EXACTLY! And this is unfortunate for Perry and the wildcard players for whom the time schedule might actually clash. Ronnie would never have had a problem with the dates.

To be honest, I'm sure if any of the players outside the 16 got into the final, I'm sure worldsnooker would reschedule their Welsh Open last 48 match, if it might indeed collide, but it's all not very nerve-recking.

Having said that, of course Ronnie does have every right to not take part in any event he wishes.

Comment

I am not in the least surprised that O'sullivan pulled out. As well as being made invitational they are determined to get value for money by getting the players to play a minimum of 24 frames for absolutely pathetic prize money.
                              "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

So, Anyone going to this one?

Comment

Working...
                                X