No announcement yet.

World Cup - A success so far or not ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it, and I hope it becomes a regular tournament, but I think something should be done about the doubles, because it seems we get to see more talking than snooker in the doubles frames to be honest. In fact, I wouldn't be against introducing a shot-clock in the doubles matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
      I like it, and I hope it becomes a regular tournament, but I think something should be done about the doubles, because it seems we get to see more talking than snooker in the doubles frames to be honest. In fact, I wouldn't be against introducing a shot-clock in the doubles matches.
      That would not work for an event such as this. The players are under enough pressure as it is playing for each other, and more importantly there country. Introducing the shot-clock would be a bad move in my opinion..
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
        That would not work for an event such as this. The players are under enough pressure as it is playing for each other, and more importantly there country. Introducing the shot-clock would be a bad move in my opinion..
        Well then put a microphone on the players at least, so we can hear what they're talking about.

Watching Ken and Fergal gesturing to each other and walking around the table endlessly wasn't exactly interesting for example.

About the playing for their country bit: maybe there should be qualifying events held the next time this event takes place, so every country could participate (if they want to of course), instead of inviting teams. That way it would feel even more like a world cup.

Comment

Well then put a microphone on the players at least, so we can hear what they're talking about.
          I have said the same thing twice now..
          "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Well then put a microphone on the players at least, so we can hear what they're talking about. Watching Ken and Fergal gesturing to each other and walking around the table endlessly wasn't exactly interesting for example.
            yes, I agree - although it can be interesting wondering what the hell they are talking about when the shot is obvious (I'm not referring to Ken and Fergal in particular but all the doubles games) ... in truth, they're probably talking about which restaurant they're going to after the match and just pointing at angles (which make no sense) to make it look like they're thinking about the shot ...

the best bit is when a player (usually the non-striker) points at the spot he wants the cue-ball and the striker then tries to achieve it ... and in 99% of the cases I've watched, he was spot-on ... I guess that's why they're pros and I'm not

to give my opinion on the original question, a success or not? I enjoyed it, I saw quite a few players I'd never seen before and the competition was fine ... there was very little atmosphere due to an almost complete lack of an audience (compare it with the Mosconi Cup, another Matchroom production) which might have been due to it being in Bangkok - a friend of mine who's been there says there are "other" entertainments available in that city

and it didn't really feel like a World Cup, just a pair of players playing a competition for quite a lot of prize money ... so maybe more country flags, national anthems, players wearing national strip ... oh and I liked the idea someone mentioned on this thread of the top pro playing with the top amateur (rather than 2 pros) ... and maybe singles, reverse singles and then the doubles for the decider ...
            Last edited by DandyA; 18 July 2011, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X