The absence of Ronnie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The absence of Ronnie

How do people feel about this? I've spoken to a few people and it seems the prevailing opinion is that the tournament won't be the same without Ronnie.

I don't see why people feel this way. I mean, like most people I can take or leave shot clock snooker. But is Ronnie really that vital to this tournament? I get that he's popular, and wins it most years. But surely the fact he's not in it, and somebody else having the opportunity to shine gives this tournament an edge it hasn't had in recent more predictable years.

We got Judd Trump there, who is close to Ronnie in levels of speed and popularity. And the humerous site of Ebdon trying to fit his thinking time of each shot into a matter of seconds.

Or is the Premier League really just an excuse to watch Ronnie? A lot of people acting like it is. We might as well set up a lot of Ronnie O'Sullivan exhibitions on Sky the way people are going.

For various reasons i personally don't want to watch a couple of the players' involved .

I think it will be a huge loss without O'Sullivan , but i would like to see Bingham win it .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Probably just me, because I'm not a fan of his childish behaviour. But I really don't see him as that much of a loss. He's not the only player worth watching, and promising a new winner makes the Premier League seem a little less stale.

Comment

He's down at no.15 on the latest rankings due to not having hit a ball this season so far.

Not sure when the next cut off is or when his 1st tournament will be but every possibility of Ronnie having to appear in some qualifying rounds to make the main events sometime soon.

*** EDIT ***

Sorry, forgot the WC is seeded No.2 for all events other than WC's so no qualifiers yet, not this season at least.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
          Probably just me, because I'm not a fan of his childish behaviour. But I really don't see him as that much of a loss. He's not the only player worth watching, and promising a new winner makes the Premier League seem a little less stale.
          It's quite interesting to see how ROS is viewed on TSF, mostly in a unfavourable light. However, the wider audience of snooker fans, the commentators, the crowds and the tv fans adore the guy. And that's what really matters for World Snooker. No Ronnie, no show. Not good for snooker, or even TSF. Interest falls.
          Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
            It's quite interesting to see how ROS is viewed on TSF, mostly in a unfavourable light. However, the wider audience of snooker fans, the commentators, the crowds and the tv fans adore the guy. And that's what really matters for World Snooker. No Ronnie, no show. Not good for snooker, or even TSF. Interest falls.
            Really? I've not ever noticed this. I was under the impression most people on TSF were fans of his?

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
              Really? I've not ever noticed this. I was under the impression most people on TSF were fans of his?
              Well, it's all relative, but I think the view of ROS on here is much different to that of the folk I talk to in clubs about pro snooker. Maybe that's just my friends, who are huge fans.

If you look at a few posts here, it's pretty obvious reading between the lines on TSF posts, that some folk don't even want him in snooker, even if snooker is worse off because of it. Sad.
              Last edited by Particle Physics; 16 August 2012, 10:53 AM.
              Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Guess it depends which way you look at it, I've known people be under the impression snooker is Ronnie and that you should have nobody else in it, as it's an insult to consider anybody else a player.

Comment

Well my personal opinion is that ROS is absolutely an asset to snooker. I'm talking about the Ronnie of late...who is very focused and has matured over the past year or so. He's not my favorite player by all means, not even close. But I do really like watching him when he's " all there". He can be electrifying to watch when he is. If he's not bothered, then I find him obnoxious and can't be bothered.

Oh and even Judd is slowly maturing, or so it seems to me. Which of couse seems rather logical as he is still very young and learning all the time. I would love to see Judd develop into an allround matchplayer like Higgins and even ROS at times when he's really focused, with a strong tactical game as well. Not feeling he has to go for each and every pot, but instead play the percentages.

Anyway...just my thoughts and feelings on the subject.

Comment

Good points there .........oh ......and HAPPY BIRTHDAY
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                      Good points there .........oh ......and HAPPY BIRTHDAY
                      Thanks Neil!
                      Last edited by daffie; 16 August 2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I Think Ronnie not in the League is Great.

for the Last 5 or 6 years its been

Another Prem League Starts then Ronnie wins in .

the guy is 37 time the sport moves on.

Comment

daffie,

Quote:"Well my personal opinion is that ROS is absolutely an asset to snooker." I agree with this statement 100%, personally I believe he is the best player to ever pick up a cue and Stephen Hendry agrees with me .... full house every time he is on the tables.

Comment

Ronnie O Sullivan says Stephen Hendry is the Greatest so SNAP

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                              Ronnie O Sullivan says Stephen Hendry is the Greatest so SNAP
                              In that case he agrees with me. I must be right.

Comment

Working...
                              X