No announcement yet.

Shanghai Masters Qualifying and Main Draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maguire was all over the place towards the end there. It would only have taken one good snooker from Ebdon I think.

He did show some form at times though, so it should get easier for him now, against more fluent opponents.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      Ebdon simply trying to influence someone who he considers to be an inexperienced referee, shamefull really, definate free ball. Clive Everton must be sitting behind someone wearing a sombrero, dork!!
      Interesting to see how Maguire simply went from that point onwards, missing balls by miles, looked like watching a match down the local Legion.
      That's the way I saw it too, I think he must have convinced himself that it isn't gamesmanship nor is the slow playing - it was interesting seeing Carter flying around the table in the latest PTC compared to his Ebdon influenced slow-mo action in the Worlds.

I was always under the impression the ref's decision is final, will have to check the latest rules again, could it be considered misconduct to argue that hard rather than just asking "are you sure?"

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        Ebdon simply trying to influence someone who he considers to be an inexperienced referee, shamefull really, definate free ball. Clive Everton must be sitting behind someone wearing a sombrero, dork!!
        Interesting to see how Maguire simply went from that point onwards, missing balls by miles, looked like watching a match down the local Legion.
        exactly. no one likes cheats like him - and he has been getting away with it for the better part of a decade. the fact that he had the decency to pot the pink and end this farce of a match is some slight redemption for the torture he has put snooker spectators through for a decade.

....and yes, according to the dinos on this forum - players shouldn't be affected by slow play, should they? and if they are, it's their problem, isn't it? well, i guess stephen maguire just joined that club of players who can't "cope" with slow play and are "mentally weak". apparently eurosport RO and CCTV channel 5 couldn't "cope" either and are "mentally weak" too since they cut the match right in the middle to go to other programming.

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
          ....and yes, according to the dinos on this forum - players shouldn't be affected by slow play, should they? and if they are, it's their problem, isn't it? well, i guess stephen maguire just joined that club of players who can't "cope" with slow play and are "mentally weak". apparently eurosport RO and CCTV channel 5 couldn't "cope" either and are "mentally weak" too since they cut the match right in the middle to go to other programming.
          No problems here, Eurosport showing both matches in full. :wink:

I am not sure about Maguire's ability to cope in slow matches... He doesn't really have a history of struggling in them, but he did look uncomfortable in the first session of last season's China Open final against Ebdon. He battled through it in the end though, and pushed Ebdon very close.

As for being mentally weak, I think Maguire joined that club a long time ago. The way he approached his WC semi-final against Carter, banging his cue after every mistake very early in the match... It's just not a very productive attitude. :wink:

Comment

i said eurosport RO.

Comment

Yes, and I said "here". So, my Eurosport is mentally much stronger, no problem coping with slowness. :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                Yes, and I said "here". So, my Eurosport is mentally much stronger, no problem coping with slowness. :wink:
                Yup same 'here'...both my Eurosport channels are coping very well...have been watching all day so far
                Last edited by daffie; 18 September 2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                  That's the way I saw it too, I think he must have convinced himself that it isn't gamesmanship nor is the slow playing - it was interesting seeing Carter flying around the table in the latest PTC compared to his Ebdon influenced slow-mo action in the Worlds.

I was always under the impression the ref's decision is final, will have to check the latest rules again, could it be considered misconduct to argue that hard rather than just asking "are you sure?"
                  The rules state: Section 5. 1 (ii) The referee shall be free to make a decision in the interests of fair play for any situation not covered adequately by these rules
                  (iii) Be responsible for the proper conduct of the game under these Rules

In other words he has total control of the match and his decision is final. A player should only question his decision after the match has been completed.

Comment

in your case, the problem or issue is obviously not with eurosport.

Comment

in your case, the problem or issue is obviously not with eurosport.
                      Not sure what that even means. :smile:

Anyway, another poor Chinese performance from Ding. A familiar scenario, a couple of good fluent frames, followed by an inexplicable loss of form.

Murphy was close to losing as well, which would have really opened up this quarter. But since he's survived, he is the favourite to reach the semi-finals on paper. :smile:

Comment

exactly. no one likes cheats like him - and he has been getting away with it for the better part of a decade. the fact that he had the decency to pot the pink and end this farce of a match is some slight redemption for the torture he has put snooker spectators through for a decade.

Take a holiday from whining?

Maybe it's a tea party conspiracy that Ebdon gets to cheat year after year...

Comment

Originally Posted by daffie View Post
                          Discussion about a free ball. 2 things for me :

- The ref should make a decision, regardless of what the player thinks
                          - Ebdon should eventually, after voicing his opinion, accept the refs decision

Btw as far as I can tell from the tv screen, the ref is correct.
                          Yes, Ebdon was quite entitled to query the decision, and the referee cannot be criticised for explaining and even demonstrating that she was correct.

However, that having been done, she should have done as you say, and Ebdon, again as you say, should have accepted it.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                            However, that having been done, she should have done as you say, and Ebdon, again as you say, should have accepted it.
                            Was that not what happened though? She made it pretty clear the she wasn't going to change her mind, at which point Ebdon said he accepted the ruling but didn't agree with it personally, and play resumed. :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                              Yes, Ebdon was quite entitled to query the decision, and the referee cannot be criticised for explaining and even demonstrating that she was correct.

I didn't see the incident under discussion but I wholeheartedly agree with The Statman's statement and I think it's hugely to snooker's credit that it is played with such etiquette ...

Comment

Was that not what happened though? She made it pretty clear the she wasn't going to change her mind, at which point Ebdon said he accepted the ruling but didn't agree with it personally, and play resumed. :wink:
                                Yes that's what happened...eventually. I personally feel Ebdon was pushing for too long, too much. Partly understandable, as it was a very important moment at 3-4 behind. But still, no real excuse, as it seemed pretty clear that it was a free ball...he should have accepted the ref's decision earlier. Having said that, I also think the ref wasn't forceful / decisive enough, but again this could be due to her relative inexperience as a ref.

Anyhow...all's fine I think

Comment

Working...
                                X