The China Open starts on Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    This was the last of these best-of-11 semi-finals this season, and in my opinion, it was the best! Superb match, both players playing some one-visit stuff, and both punishing their opponent when missing. Completely different than Selby-Murphy this morning.

Well played to Neil Robertson, he really held his nerve in the last two frames, and in the two frames from 4-2 down as well. Maguire didn't crack either, he was still getting good pots towards the end, but he just played a couple of loose splits and cannons, and it cost him a couple of frames. He didn't really miss anything towards the end.

So, it's another Robertson-Selby final. And just like at the Masters, it's Robertson that has impressed me more during the week. I have a feeling he will produce it in the final tomorrow as well. :smile:
    Thanks for the summary . . .

I hope Robbo can win too as he has play well this year! If he wins this final it would be great for his confidence coming into the World Championship. Fingers crossed!

: )
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• So, yet another meeting between Mark Selby and Neil Robertson, their fourth this season, after years of avoiding each other in major events. Selby won the first two of those, including the Masters final, but Robertson managed to win the last one at the World Open.

Selby now has a chance to win his third major event of the season, something that only John Higgins has managed in recent times. He played some good stuff against King in the 1st round, then won pretty convincingly against Walden, Williams and Murphy as well, although he certainly didn't show the same kind of fluency. He only dropped six frames before the final though, so he has played as well as he needed to, without ever being in trouble.

Robertson's progress to the final was more eventful... He had that funny match against Allen, winning convincingly in the end, but getting two outrageous flukes in the process. He was playing very attacking snooker early in the tournament, but no so much against Campbell in the QF, getting involved in a bit of a scrap. His best win was without doubt today against Maguire, in a high-quality match which could well have been the final. He has looked comfortable in the balls all week, with a couple of centuries here and there, and he won enough of the scrappier frames to come through.

It's going to be difficult to win them tomorrow though, because Selby is a master of that type of snooker. Like in the Masters, I think Robertson was the better player in his run to the final. It didn't matter on that occasion, as Selby managed to raise his game, despite having to play some very close and tough matches. If he did it then, why not now, when he hasn't been seriously troubled all week? On the other hand, Robertson has probably appeared at the business end of tournaments a record number of times for him this season, but contrary to previous seasons, he hasn't taken any titles out of it. He lost a couple of matches from good positions, and he failed to raise his game at the right times, which is something that had been his great strength over the years. This would be his first major title in China, and I think he needs it. Needs it more than Selby anyway...

I'm hoping for a classic, 10-9 either way would be nice, but I think Robertson will prevail by three or four frames in the end. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
        really dont know how you come to that conclusion , THE SPOILS HAVE BEEN SHARED RIGHT ACROSS THE BOARD AND NO TWO OR THREE PLAYERS HAVE DOMINATED , n thats how its going to be for now .
        Robertson by far the most consistent - 3 finals and 3 semi finals.

Selby - UK & Masters champion and back to World No.1 for the Worlds.

Comment

• Great scrap between Neil and Stephen, with only Maguire's impetuous smack into the pack after Robertson snookered him behind the yellow letting him down.
          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

• It's starting! Let's hope for some good classic snooker today

Comment

• Those missed sitters just won't do for Selby today. He was getting three or four chances against Murphy, it's going to be one or two against Robertson.

Nice break from Robertson anyway, the table wasn't easy when he got in. :smile:

Comment

• What a finale in the last frame! I need a Selby comeback now

Comment

• Selby hasn't really done much right so far. I think he could have composed himself and played better had it gone 2-2, but he is under a bit of pressure now. If the match continues in the same way, Robertson could do some damage...

Comment

• I wonder will Robertson reach 200 coughs when Selby's at the table by the time the match is over,would Sporting Index or somebody take this bet??

Comment

• Mcguire done his nut again. Now I known why it was 5 years between titles. Thats the 2nd time ive seen him do that . If he looks back at that he has to admit he blew it because he was angry and just bashed it. Would selby or robertson play that. I dont think so

Comment

• Not a good day for Selby

Comment

• That was a bit unlucky for Selby, going in-off after all that hard work. But then again, it was his own poor play that had put him 32 behind and needing a tough clearance in the first place.

Comment

• Well, it's going to be tough for Selby to come back from this, particularly as he has shown no form whatsoever. But at least he knows Robertson isn't brilliant either, so he can still make a match of it. :smile:

Comment

• I should have put a fiver on Robbo for the China Open (doh) . . It would have paid $40 . . . Oh we'll hopefully he wins the World C.

: )
                              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• Doesn't surprise me that this match has turned out the way it has, they are two players who don't give little to each other and tend to try and get into each others head rather than play the ball how they would against any other opponent. Selby has clearly mentally gone, never seen him like this for a long time. His whole game looks to have just deserted him. In a way its not surprising though because he has to put 100% into every shot because he's not a naturally instinctive player, everything is a battle, especially in the latter stages of tournaments. This is why I have doubts he can last 17 days at the crucible because it will take too much out of him, unless the draw works out favourably and he doesn't have to put too much into the early rounds. Also his luck, something he has relied heavily on this season has also deserted him and without that he doesn't look half the player.

Comment

Working...
                                X