Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

SC balls or aramith's ?
    Aramith I think. It was a ball set that came with the second hand table that I purchased maybe 9 years ago. Some say that polish is not good for ball contact but it wasn't polish that I wanted to remove, but bacteria, hence the super hot water... I won't do that ever again.

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamKent View Post

Aramith I think. It was a ball set that came with the second hand table that I purchased maybe 9 years ago. Some say that polish is not good for ball contact but it wasn't polish that I wanted to remove, but bacteria, hence the super hot water... I won't do that ever again.
      That's another reason why aramith balls are crap then, I clean my SC balls in super hot water straight out of the hot tap (not boiling), let them soak for ten minutes and never had a problem with colour changing.
      I remember the change to aramith balls, back in the mid 80's three new snooker clubs opened in my town and the balls they used were so very different than the SC balls we all grew up and learned with, throw, deflection, side spin they just weren't at all consistant and positional play was uncertain and the kicks were rife. I saw the name Aramith on the boxes the balls were kept in, didn't know what it meant but associated it with crap balls and when our club bought new balls in the 90's for our four tables I refused a set for the table we played on in our league matches (team captain) for about three years until one day they just replaced them, that's when I bought my own SC's, keep them down the club in my own case and take them home occasionally for a good clean.
      I just can't be done with having five or six kicks/bad contacts a frame rather than about two per two hour session with my SC's.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Hi Vmax
        Can you confirm how much a SC ball weighs?
        Are they in the same range as TC - 139-143g?
        thanks
        I think not. Received the SC balls today. No damages just need to be washed and cleaned. They are heavier than the Aramith 1g or 3g balls.

The cue ball is 145gms while all other balls are in the range of 149 to 152gms, so a 3g tolerance range and I think the cue ball is lighter as it was used the most.

Comment

https://ibb.co/J3pPphS
          https://ibb.co/xmCG96h
          https://ibb.co/VChmGsy
          Some pics of the SC balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
            I think the cue ball is lighter as it was used the most.
            So the polishing induced by skimming over the cloth reduces the size and weight of the cue ball?

Comment

Originally Posted by WilliamKent View Post

So the polishing induced by skimming over the cloth reduces the size and weight of the cue ball?
              The cue ball is the one that takes most of the bashing. The cue's tip touches it on every shot and the cue ball in turn collides with other balls/cushions on the table which over a period of time causes it to lose weight.

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post

The cue ball is the one that takes most of the bashing. The cue's tip touches it on every shot and the cue ball in turn collides with other balls/cushions on the table which over a period of time causes it to lose weight.
                Cool. I just needed to hear that from someone else. I check all my ball sets using a digital jeweller's scale and found all white balls to be at least 1 gram lighter... except on new sets.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

What utter rubbish, where do you get your information from ?
                  Well you're correct so I'm eating humble pie here. I cleaned my SC balls in hand hot water and washing up liquid along with my aramith spotted cue ball that I use for billiards, let them soak for ten minutes and this happened.
                  Note the marbling of the white colour, this is not light shadows, and the fuzzy outline of the red spots that have now turned pinkish. The SC balls were unaffected btw.

http://
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
                  X