Cue ball not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue ball not responding

Hi I have just got a table in a steel building and the cue ball is proving difficult to screw back. Top and side works the balls weigh the same 128g I've ironed the table it has heater in room. I'm at a loss has anyone any idea.

What make of balls are you using? Aramith? They should weigh nearer 141g ? What table do you have? What cloth? How long have you been playing? Can you screw back on other tables? Many variables here.

Comment

128g range will be aramith Premier
      140g range are Aramith Tournament Champions.

Usually lack of screw is due to poor cue technique.
      Usually due to be ingested too tense and trying to hard and ending up jabbing the cue.
      I found relaxing the back hand, not trying too hard, and letting the cue to go right through the cue ball works for me 😀
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
        What make of balls are you using? Aramith? They should weigh nearer 141g ? What table do you have? What cloth? How long have you been playing? Can you screw back on other tables? Many variables here.
        Not sure on cloth or balls it's a burroughe and Watts started playing about 2yrs ago but played as a youth. I've always been able to screw back similar cue action to the rocket 🚀

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          128g range will be aramith Premier
          140g range are Aramith Tournament Champions.

Usually lack of screw is due to poor cue technique.
          Usually due to be ingested too tense and trying to hard and ending up jabbing the cue.
          I found relaxing the back hand, not trying too hard, and letting the cue to go right through the cue ball works for me 😀
          Not a cueing problem as it works in club my son mentioned the cloth appears thick as he seen table being fitted and you can see cloth under cushion were it's pinned. Could the cloth be the issue ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike reed View Post

Not sure on cloth or balls it's a burroughe and Watts started playing about 2yrs ago but played as a youth. I've always been able to screw back similar cue action to the rocket 🚀
            How much screw can you get on the cue ball on your table? If say cue ball and object ball are a foot apart? If you can get top then you should be able to screw, even on a thick cloth I’d say screw back is possible, just not the length of the table? Steel buildings will get condensation buildup on the inside and the humidity is probably off the chart! This will affect the balls and the cloth and would make it very slow to play on, and even slower if it’s a thick cloth.

Comment

All cloth seems thick when tucked under the table ,to be honest you should be able to screw back on any cloth and really heavy cloths like no 6 are not made or used any more .Throw a cue ball around the table angles really fast ,you should be able to bounce of at least Six cushions .Did you get the table professionally set up or do it yourself ,cloth needs to be tight to the point of nearly splitting .If the tables set up correctly you should be able to play any shot on it ,even if it’s slower .Those balls you mentioned are the light weight ones which makes screwing back even easier .Final thing if everything is set up right ,get a good player in to play a few shots on it and see what they can do .

Comment

How much screw can you get on the cue ball on your table? If say cue ball and object ball are a foot apart? If you can get top then you should be able to screw, even on a thick cloth I’d say screw back is possible, just not the length of the table? Steel buildings will get condensation buildup on the inside and the humidity is probably off the chart! This will affect the balls and the cloth and would make it very slow to play on, and even slower if it’s a thick cloth.
                I am a bit baffled as the ball runs great using top or say playing a safety shot back to baulk, but screw shots I really have to get right through the cue ball and hard otherwise I get no screw. If a played a shot a foot apart like in the club on my table the ball would probably just stun, to get it to screw back I'd have to play it like there was a six ft gap. It's a hard thing to explain its more of a feel thing

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                  All cloth seems thick when tucked under the table ,to be honest you should be able to screw back on any cloth and really heavy cloths like no 6 are not made or used any more .Throw a cue ball around the table angles really fast ,you should be able to bounce of at least Six cushions .Did you get the table professionally set up or do it yourself ,cloth needs to be tight to the point of nearly splitting .If the tables set up correctly you should be able to play any shot on it ,even if it’s slower .Those balls you mentioned are the light weight ones which makes screwing back even easier .Final thing if everything is set up right ,get a good player in to play a few shots on it and see what they can do .
                  Hi table was professionally fitted I've asked their opinion he suggested weighing the white against the other balls and there all 128g . I was going to try my balls in the club to rule them out. As I previously mentioned I can screw back on club tables even over large distances between cue and object ball ? It's pointing towards room conditions I've got heating tubes under table and a calor gas heater for room temperature, so I am struggling. I'm sure I watched a video with Jimmy White saying he remembered playing as a kid and the club table where he played were freezing

Comment

It doesn’t make much sense ,what’s room temp and humidity,is the table playing very slow on all shots .Maybe do a video and link it to YouTube .To be honest I’ve never heard of a table that you can’t screw back on .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                      It doesn’t make much sense ,what’s room temp and humidity,is the table playing very slow on all shots .Maybe do a video and link it to YouTube .To be honest I’ve never heard of a table that you can’t screw back on .
                      No idea on temp or humidity. But when I go in on cold day I can see my breath so I put heating tubes and gas heater on after say half hour breaths gone so temps gone up but has no affect on white balls response when trying to screw its weird. I'm going to try my cue ball and a couple red ball at the club to rule balls out

Comment

No idea on temp or humidity. But when I go in on cold day I can see my breath so I put heating tubes and gas heater on after say half hour breaths gone so temps gone up but has no affect on white balls response when trying to screw its weird. I'm going to try my cue ball and a couple red ball at the club to rule balls out
                        I will post video ASAP

Comment

Yeah, the table might be slow due to the environment it’s sitting in. Screwing back will still be possible though, you just won’t get the same reaction as you would on the club table. Under table heat panels will help keep the cloth dry and maybe a thinner cloth, the table fitter should be able to tell you what cloth is on there…?

Other than that it can only be technique. Having a Ronnie style cue action is fine but in the wrong hands can probably be a bit jabby! Try filming a close up of yourself attempting a screw shot, sometimes you can aim low with your feathers but then strike the cue ball higher up through fear of a miscue.
                          Last edited by Danger Steve; 22 January 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Waste of time Mike, it’s not the balls 100%! If they all weigh the same then that’s the balls ruled out! Cold balls will play heavy if you have been leaving them in the pockets overnight.

Your slate will be freezing mate if you can see your breath! That’s not a good environment for a snooker table at all.

Comment

Waste of time Mike, it’s not the balls 100%! If they all weigh the same then that’s the balls ruled out! Cold balls will play heavy if you have been leaving them in the pockets overnight.

Your slate will be freezing mate if you can see your breath! That’s not a good environment for a snooker table at all.
                              I understand cold is not good but how about after heating has been on and room is warmer ? I might try getting more heat into slate and see if there's a difference

Comment

Working...
                              X