Eight-year-old Wonderkid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight-year-old Wonderkid

We have an eight-year-old at Chandler's Ford, near Southampton, who today made a 40 clearance in our Under-21 Roll-Up.

This is almost certainly a record for our club and possibly for the Southampton area.

But how does our wonderkid rate nationally?

Tim Dunkley
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

WOW! An 8 year old??? Does he even reach the table?

Unbelieveable!!!
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

It seems to be a universal misconception that youngsters can't reach the table. At the age of eight he had his arm and elbow straightened by his coach. Younger kids have to hold their cues slightly sideways but as long as they can get their bridge habd flat on the table their is no problem. We had a five-year-old and a six-year-old playing a couple of weeks ago and they could reach ok. Tables are very long and very wide but they are not as tall as people think. We need to get kids of this age off their small tables at home and into the junior leagues.

Tim

Comment

Amazing! Good luck to the little fella!
        Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad
          It seems to be a universal misconception that youngsters can't reach the table. At the age of eight he had his arm and elbow straightened by his coach. Younger kids have to hold their cues slightly sideways but as long as they can get their bridge habd flat on the table their is no problem. We had a five-year-old and a six-year-old playing a couple of weeks ago and they could reach ok. Tables are very long and very wide but they are not as tall as people think. We need to get kids of this age off their small tables at home and into the junior leagues.

Tim
          I completely agree with you SD. At this age, I spent too much time on smaller table at home, was great fun though. Until I got a little taller, I also held the cue slightly to the side and kept my arm completely straight on the table. This allowed me to push the cue through in a straight line.
          Mon the Rocket

Comment

Good luck to the kid!
            Science is a refinement of everyday thinking -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Theres a 12 year old down my club called Lewis he can pot alomst any shot but he hitst he ball so hard and has no idea of saftey what so ever but he's always knocking in 20's/30's and gotta 45 the other in the handicap tournament

Comment

Originally Posted by ..KiD DyNaMiTe..
                Theres a 12 year old down my club called Lewis he can pot alomst any shot but he hitst he ball so hard and has no idea of saftey what so ever but he's always knocking in 20's/30's and gotta 45 the other in the handicap tournament
                is that kid a hamiltonfan? He used to be on the BBC board a lot

Comment

Originally Posted by snookersfun
                  is that kid a hamiltonfan? He used to be on the BBC board a lot
                  Dont think so, I'll ask him next time I see him

Comment

Originally Posted by ..KiD DyNaMiTe..
                    Usually a few young lads like this in most clubs. Sounds nothing special IMHO. If he was making regular 50+ breaks, would sound fairly promising. He may prove me wrong, and I'm sure you'll let me know
                    Mon the Rocket

Comment

I saw Shane on Sunday morning. He still had the biggest and cheekiest smile in the world. Shane and his dad and his coach were absolutley gob-smacked that he had recieved congratulations from as far away as India. Perhaps total disbelief is the right phrase. I am going to put all your kind messages on a piece of paper on Friday night and give it to him an Saturday so his dad can put them in a scrapbook.

Thanks

Tim Dunkley

Comment

the fact the lad has got it together enough in the first place to get a 40 odd break means he has a natural aptitude for the game which is good starting platform.i suppose his future comes down to how he's coached and how much he wants to play the game.

Comment

Shane loves playing. Win or lose he plays with a smile on his face. If he loses interest then so be it. If he becomes a "teenager" too soon then so be it. But even if he packs the game in tomorrow he has had a year of fun and has brought some magic moments to Chandler's Ford.

Thanks for your comments. They will be added to Shane's scrapbook.

Tim Dunkley

Comment

I think it's brilliant that youngsters are getting into the game at such an early age. It shows that anybody can get into the game and be good at it. I hope the kid keeps it up he could be a star in the future

Comment

Last Sunday young Shane knocked in his first half-century in a practice match. Still only eight, he chalked up a 53 at Chandler's Ford snooker club.

Yesterday he beat his competitive high break. Playing in the Chandler's Ford Under-21 Roll-Up he made a 46.

Tim Dunkley

Comment

Working...
                              X