No announcement yet.

Eight-year-old Wonderkid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It shows that anybody can get into the game and be good at it.
    Does it!!??!?!?

I think the kids got great potential!!!

How many of you were nocking those numbers in at his age?

Comment

Getting breaks of 40 at the age of 8 is nothing exceptional I'm afraid.

Ronnie O Sullivan and MAtthew Stevens made their first centuries at the age of 10. I think Shaun Murphy did too.

If by the age of 10 this lad is knocking in breaks of 100 then I'd say he has great potential.

Time will tell.

My advice to the young lad would be to enjoy it and the 40s will become 70s and 80s.

Good luck

Comment

what about hendry was he doing 147's at 9?
        "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

He's got good potential, however he has to still put it many hours of practice. many players are tipped for the top but don't get there because of motivation problems or inuries etc. I'd guess most of the current pros could get half centuries at aged 10.
          People are regualrly tipped to become the next great thing and never really make an impact (wasn't Tai Pitchet tipped to be world champ one day?) so don't get carried away, if he puts in the right training then it's a possibility, but ability alone won't get him to the top.
          You play a long slow deadweight red to a corner pocket. As it approaches the pocket, a kamikaze woodlouse crawls out from under the cushion and makes its way across the table, conflicting with the path of the red precisely at the point the red gets there. The red, needless to say, veers off course, and the future of the woodlouse is uncertain. - The Statman

Comment

Shane is now nine.

On Sunday he beat his highest break by 1, scoring a 62 at Rushden.

I asked him if he had made any other breaks.

“I also had a couple of 40s,” he said. “But I don’t really count them!”

Tim Dunkley
            http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by Le Ball Sack
              what about hendry was he doing 147's at 9?
              he was a lot older than that!

i have one at 4 yrs old making 30's and 40's on a 1/2 size (cues through the ball by nature) but it means nothing if they lose interest. until 13/14 you have no idea if they will play and it not right to push them to play.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Tell him good luck from me aswell

Comment

There is a 14 year old kid in our club called Dean that bangs in century breaks all the time, he had I think it was 4 in a row a few months ago and made the local rag.

Will see if I can find the story an dpost it up, but there is alot of talented children out there playign the game but the media usualy don't give them the light of day.

Comment

The Daily Echo in Southampton devote nearly a whole page on a Saturday to the junior snooker players in our region.

There is a simple reason why some sports struggle to get coverage in local papers.

The Echo's sports editor told me that they need people to submit stories. There is no big secret to getting column inches. Just hard work, good stories and interesting pictures.

Tim Dunkley

Comment

wow great stuff.. i didnt see a 12 footer until i was about 12. Too much time on the 6 footer and pool tables... We have a couple of young kids at at our club about 9 and 10 and they have to use the rest alot but they seem pretty talented! I think if he has the composure to make 40 clearances when hes eight he should have the snooker world at his feet by the time hes 16. He will grow and develop more and undoubted start making centuries very soon. Good luck to him.

Its what we like to see kids playing snooker in the summer holidays

Comment

I have seen this lad play and I must say that he definately has the ability and natural talent 'at the moment' along with the dedication to become one of the few true greats in the sport. Who knows what will happen in the future but that is a fair assessment at this time and I hope that he fulfills his potential and remains playing the sport through his teens.

Well done Shane.
                        You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't

Comment

Let's see when this guy makes an 147!
                          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

im 13 nearly 14 and my highest break is 63 and im making regular 30s and 40s.

am i higher than average or below average, or on par???
                            "FALL TOO THE SKY" "DONT BELIVE THE HYPE"
                            My Avatar Is Me In A Comp

Comment

Really depends on how long you have been playing?

Tim Dunkley

Comment

started when i was 9 neerly 10 so about 3 or 4 years
                                "FALL TOO THE SKY" "DONT BELIVE THE HYPE"
                                My Avatar Is Me In A Comp

Comment

Working...
                                X