what cue to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what cue to buy?

hi been playing snooker on and off for afew years decieded to play a little more seriousley and l,m going to buy a cue want to spend around 60 to 90 pound do u no whats the best make to get and what should i be looking for.been looking on internet for a cue and dont no what to get any help would be great cheers

£60-90 your looking at something like a machine spliced Peradon or Master cue.
    Billiards Boutique from the banner were doing discounts for members maybe check that out!
    uk8ball.com shop do good value machine spliced master cues Master cues!

Comment

thanks for your help will check those sites out

Comment

I can vouch for the mastercue machine spliced model.
        A friend of mine bought one earlier this year and I was very impressed with the quality for the price. Akthough he bought his from Thurstons who have the same cue made by Mastercue but badged up with a Thurstons name disc.

Comment

master cues are really very good playing cue. I have had 2 custom made in the last 5 years and they all played very well. I have been to their factory before and was very impressed with the set up and all the many exotic woods being used for splicings.

o'min cues are very good also. I have a climax model currently and it plays superbly, just that the butt diameter is too small for my liking.

Comment

if you are going to spend 60-90 you would be better saving up a little bit more and trying a mastercraft or craftsman cue or if you look on ebay you might get an o'min or one of mine for not much more.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

thanks for your help think ill try ebay and see what i can find.
              just aquick one in the local snooker club there selling a perodon laser cue for 80 quid and a few craftsman cues for 70 quid do u think any of these cues will be ok cheers
              dave

Comment

craftsman cues are not as cheap as that - it would be unlikely that you will find a handspliced cue of quality for less than £100 unless it was made in thailand. feel free to e-mail me and i will try and help you.

adr147@hotmail.com

Comment

Craftsman do make a few machine spliced cues!
                  adr147 that rings a bell from ebay you were selling some craftman cues with fancy arctic birch splices!
                  What are mastercraft like?
                  Would you recomend craftsman to get a custom cue from then?

Comment

not any more they don't! i believe they no longer have the machine and there is no money in it - they do sell other people cues though. mastercraft are good and pretty cheap but have low resale value, yes i like dave browns cues but it depends what you are after - i own ces from most makers myself and they can all turn out a good cue when they want to and all a duff one once in a while.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                      i own cues from most makers myself and they can all turn out a good cue when they want to and all a duff one once in a while.
                      a very good point ADR

lots of folk wouldnt know if a cue is ACTUALLY good, rather it just feels or looks good to them.

that said, some really good pros have used some shocking cues over the years and done well with them, so.....

Comment

oh yes! and in no particular order.....except the first one!: alan mc, ken dou, mark king, peter ebdon, hendrys orginal powerglide, michael holts shiney arch fine! i am sure there are lots of others but thats a few to be going on with!

Comment

I can recomend a Peradon & Fletcher cue - very well made and last a lifetime. Go to a proper cue shop to try your cue out then perhaps buy it cheaper of the 'net.

Don't buy one blind as it may be too heavy, short etc...
                          It's not what you pot...it's what you leave.

Leamington & District Billiards & Snooker Association

Comment

So who's the best cuemaker then!
                            I want a new cue but can't decide where to get it from!
                            (This has been covered a little in the Northwest cues thred last week)
                            I do kind of fancy an old cue.
                            I could of had a burwat champ from ebay last week but I'm scared of paying a lot for a playing cue that I can't try first!
                            Is there anywhere else apart from Craftsman (I've been over there a few times) who sell old cues from a shop?

Comment

I wouldn't try a Burwat, a lot of them aren't great playing cues, those that are most people keep. A lot of them are quite whippy and unless you like a cue like that then its not worth the risk without getting a chance to try it out first.

I would say Craftsman value for money and quality are probably the best cuemaker in this country. Mastercue are very good quality too if you aren't bothered about having a cue made in the UK.
                              Trevor White would be my choice as I believe him to be the best single cue maker in the country, however I don't have his e-mail anymore as I lost it when my hard drive failed 3 months ago!

So if anyone does have Trev's e-mail addy I'd welcome you to pm it to me?

Comment

Working...
                              X