what cue to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman
    I wouldn't try a Burwat, a lot of them aren't great playing cues, those that are most people keep. A lot of them are quite whippy and unless you like a cue like that then its not worth the risk without getting a chance to try it out first.

I would say Craftsman value for money and quality are probably the best cuemaker in this country. Mastercue are very good quality too if you aren't bothered about having a cue made in the UK.
    Trevor White would be my choice as I believe him to be the best single cue maker in the country, however I don't have his e-mail anymore as I lost it when my hard drive failed 3 months ago!

So if anyone does have Trev's e-mail addy I'd welcome you to pm it to me?
    how about mastercraft cues? anybody has any comments on their cues? they look real value for money with free mini butt thrown in.

master cue are great. although they are made in thailand, their quality will rival many of uk's cue makers. how much is master cue selling in uk? say pro butt series?

Comment

i had a mastercraft cue very shortly after they started out under this name. Some of you may know that the guys who make Mastercraft cues used to be the main cue makers at Lewis & wilson before they went bust. The L&W cues you may see on Ebay are actually made in China and shouldn't be confused with the quality cues that were produced under that name in this country.

Anyway, back to my MC cue. Personally I wasn't happy with it and I didn't think the materials used were of good enough quality. Also I was disappointed that they used a dye on the Ebony to make it appear darker than it actually was. The dye rubbed off after I wiped my cue down with damp cloth!

However my mate has an MC cue the 'Emerald gem' model as a 1 piece maple cue and he really likes it. It looks a lot better quality than the cue they made for me and maybe its because they are now better established and only look to produce the best quality possible.

It maybe wise to actually buy the more expensive cues in most cue makers ranges. I presume they use better materials and take more care when making the cue if you spend that little bit extra.

Comment

yes dave and chris i think they are called - its wrong is it not that years after eric lewis retired they are selling cues with his name on made in china! the whole of that company and barracuda, adam etc are owned by a british guy called dave fisher who owns master billiards, i suspect he is more interested in making money than nice cues!

i have never seen dye on a british made cue before although its very common on chinese cues - did you complain? i guess like all cue makers there are going to be good and bad cues so prehaps your theory would work out although i have seen parris ultimate cues at £650 that i would not give house room to!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford
          So who's the best cuemaker then!
          I want a new cue but can't decide where to get it from!
          (This has been covered a little in the Northwest cues thred last week)
          I do kind of fancy an old cue.
          I could of had a burwat champ from ebay last week but I'm scared of paying a lot for a playing cue that I can't try first!
          Is there anywhere else apart from Craftsman (I've been over there a few times) who sell old cues from a shop?

if you want a burwat to play with you can get a modern one made by tony ions - half the collectable cues on ebay are copies he made anyway!

Comment

I thought about that but I've fell out with Tony Ions!
            He's got two websites running, they are identical apart from the pricing guide is £60 different for the cue and an extra £5 per splice. So I mailed him to ask about it, suggesting he took down the cheaper one, particularly because it is the top one on google. Anyway he didn't reply and the both sites are still running!
            It's not right though because a one piece cue with 4 splices would be £240 on one and then £320 on the other. Big difference very misleading!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman
              I wouldn't try a Burwat, a lot of them aren't great playing cues, those that are most people keep. A lot of them are quite whippy and unless you like a cue like that then its not worth the risk without getting a chance to try it out first.

I would say Craftsman value for money and quality are probably the best cuemaker in this country. Mastercue are very good quality too if you aren't bothered about having a cue made in the UK.
              Trevor White would be my choice as I believe him to be the best single cue maker in the country, however I don't have his e-mail anymore as I lost it when my hard drive failed 3 months ago!

So if anyone does have Trev's e-mail addy I'd welcome you to pm it to me?
              I think I've tracked him down I've found Trev's ebay account so I'll message him and get his e-mail and some details off him!
              I'll be intouch!

Comment

i didn't realise he was so expensive, the last time a friend of mine bought a cue from him it was £150

Comment

His 3/4 are a bit cheaper £170 (without posh splicing) on the older site and £200 on the newer one!
                  It's unusual that his 3/4 cues are cheaper!
                  I did ask him why in my email but like I said he didn't reply to me!

Back on the old cues Lynette Horsburgh the top ladies player recomended Joe Davies cues to me. She plays with a 146!

Comment

its not that odd because a lot of makers make the shaft and the butt seperately which is easier than cutting a cue in half and getting the grain to line up. - i own both the peradon 146 cue and the riley tombstone version - god knows why anyone would recommend them as playing cues - they are very pretty though. actually i have sold one of each on ebay in the last month!

Comment

Originally Posted by Watford
                      I think I've tracked him down I've found Trev's ebay account so I'll message him and get his e-mail and some details off him!
                      I'll be intouch!
                      trevs1@ntlworld.com

Comment

I saw the Riley one it did look very nice!
                        Thanks for the address, I've ebay messaged him now I'll mail Monday if he's not replied!
                        I think Lynettes is a peradon one!

Comment

i have his telephone number if required although you would need to e-mail me i am not going to put it on here with out asking him first!

Comment

Thats cool mate, I'll mail you if he doesn't reply to me!

Comment

well good luck - he is a fantastic cue maker by the way, possibly the best of all, and much better than parris.

Comment

I've had some e-mail correspondence with Trevor he seems to be the man!
                                Just in the process of thrashing out the final details!

Comment

Working...
                                X