Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by marc.lockley@ntlworld.com View Post
    Help!!

I've got an ash cue (Parris), cleaned all the chalk etc off with white spirit and the cue came up lovely and soft.

Put a really small amount of Dave Coutts oil on and rubbed in; I was really focussed on only putting a minute amount on at a time so not to end up with a mess (and I didn't).

I let it dry for a few hours rubbed down loads with a lint free cloth; then put a further small coat on.

I left over night and rubbed down again with newspaper (and a cloth) but couldn't get that nice gliding finish that I've had in the past.

The cue looks great but not gliding as I want and i've definately burnished it so not sure what to try now.

No disrespect to Dave's oil as it's obviously something i'm doing or not doing!
    maybe with the last coat you did not wipe of the excess before it dried to much, and sometime one more coat was one coat too much
    I would suggest it is down to elbow-grease to buff the cue with soft cotton within an inch of its life
    (or if you have seen the video on Aurora, you can buff it with a drill attachment )
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Possibly..

Quite happy to start again with the white spirit etc and try just one coat; didn't feel i'd left much on there but hey!

When you say buff it within an inch of it's life what would be an average amount of time doing it by hand you would expect, this might tell me to either be patient or get down the gym for a few months!!

Thanks for the feedback though.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I got the magic erasers out of asda the white spungy things just ad a bit of water and rub your cue and the amount of dirt that comes of is unreal

Comment

Yeh I got a fair bit off with the white spirit and it also left it with a nice smooth feeling.

I normally just wipe it down with a damp cloth (Jimmy White does this) and it's been brilliant for nearly a year but then the build up will gradually stop this working but the white spirit sorted that easily.

It's the oil i'm struggling with to get that same feeling across my fingers.

Comment

I like to use a piece of silk to buff up the cue once all the excess oil is removed. Buff until the cloth is warm and keep repeating until you get the finish you want

Comment

Originally Posted by WelshPhantom View Post
              Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              Unfortunately not, clean the cue with turps to remove the chalk and then apply oil
              Sorry if i sound like a noob but how do you go about applying it?I assume use a small amount on a cotton ball.
              For cleaning with turps yes, for applying oil just use kitchen roll

Comment

Originally Posted by marc.lockley@ntlworld.com View Post
                Yeh I got a fair bit off with the white spirit and it also left it with a nice smooth feeling.

I normally just wipe it down with a damp cloth (Jimmy White does this) and it's been brilliant for nearly a year but then the build up will gradually stop this working but the white spirit sorted that easily.

It's the oil i'm struggling with to get that same feeling across my fingers.
                When applying oil to your cue, apply liberally, leave to soak in for around 10 mins then wipe off all excess oil and then buff, then leave it for 24-48hrs then cut back with 0000 wire wool or 1200 or higher grit wet & dry, buff again to polish then repeat untill the desired finish is achieved

Comment

Cheers Dave

I'll give that a go, maybe it's the cutting back between coats i'm missing and leaving a little longer, I'll experiment.

Comment

https://www.google.co.uk/search?neww....0.XAwJEwQ6Obg

Comment

I use this stuff http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/w...jVjFC7dk30APl8
                      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

I applied oil on my cue before, but still feel bitty sticky after a short time, how can I solve this problem?

Comment

I applied oil on my cue before, but still feel bit sticky after a short time, how can I solve this problem?

Comment

Originally Posted by ayrshire_top View Post
                            Ive recently heard about cue oil. Having played (badly) for over 20 years and never done it, I was wondering what benefits if any it brings?? What are your thoughts/experiences?? Thanks, Tommy
                            rub two drops behind each ear every day for a week - Im sure you'll be making centuries within a couple of days or so

Comment

Aurora oil is good. It leaves a golden finish.

Comment

Originally Posted by cheneyxuu View Post
                                I applied oil on my cue before, but still feel bit sticky after a short time, how can I solve this problem?
                                The usual culprit for sticky cue is dirty hands, always try to play with clean dry hands
                                Question, was the cue originally oiled or was it varnished/lacquered? Oil on top of varnish wont do much as it wont soak through to the wood. It wont damage it but you wont see the benefits that are being discussed in the thread

When you oiled the cue, was it ok and then became sticky, or was it sticky straight after oiling?
                                If sticky straight after, then you may have put too much oil on (you will be surprised how little you need to cover a cue) and left too long before wiping off the excess and then allowing to dry. What you can do now, is try buffing with paper kitchen towels and then dry cotton cloths, this could take some time
                                If this does not work you could rub down with very fine sandpaper and then buff again.

If ok and then sticky, did the oil thoroughly dry before you tried it? As mentioned maybe it has gotten dirty again, try wiping down with a very lightly moist cloth and dry buff immediately, then buff, buff and more buff
                                hope this helps, let us know how you get on
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X