Potting Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    it didn't get much interest first time around but still it might be worth another look
    .http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ght=table+grid
    When this was first posted I couldn't get into it as I just didn't understand it, I have just had another wee look and I think I get it now, I'm going to go and read it properly, I get how it's a map of how the cue ball travels from certain angels(half ball, quarter ball etc) and certain positions on the table and even if your not exact, it gives you a reference point to make a judgement on the shot you face, am I anywhere near what it means? If it is this, I can see how it would help to unclutter your thinking as these shots can be learned and stored away, so when you face something similar you know what's going to happen instead of having to figure out shots all the time.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      When this was first posted I couldn't get into it as I just didn't understand it, I have just had another wee look and I think I get it now
      If you do start to understand. Please explain it to me. I really haven't got a clue.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        If you do start to understand. Please explain it to me. I really haven't got a clue.
        this is a 3/4 ball black, play this with top the white should follow into the opposite middle and if you cue center ball the whit should go close to or into the middle on your side of the table
        G5.jpg

Comment

As far as I understand it, it's a reference map of how the cue ball travels around the table after a shot, using the pockets and spots(or balls on the spots) as reference points, so for example a half ball blue plain ball going up the table the white will go over the yellow spot, if you know this you know what to do with that shot, you could play lower on the white and come between yellow and brown. Now you may not be exactly half ball on the blue, but you have that reference shot stored away, so you have already got a decent idea of what shot you need to play.
          I think there was another example of a three quarter black, white played with top off the bottom Cush, travels to the middle bag, again with this as a known fact any shot around the same you know where the white wants to go so you can adjust accordingly (jeez I hope this is right lol) it is a reference guide around the table.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

this is a 3/4 ball black, play this with top the white should follow into the opposite middle and if you cue center ball the whit should go close to or into the middle on your side of the table
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]16478[/ATTACH]
            See. I understand it now and it makes sense.

The original diagrams could really do with a bit of commentary.

Comment

Understanding what the white will do after hitting the object ball is certainly an area I can see knowing these angles would help... aiming the white is (in theory) easy but understanding how it will travel after collision is not so intuitive to me at least. Clearly even pros can find this hard considering you see them go in-off quite regularly.

Comment

it didn't get much interest first time around but still it might be worth another look
                .http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ght=table+grid
                The pictures/story in that are not working for me, I see a slideshow consisting of "image broken" thumbnails

Excuse me if this has been done before but I thought I'd share some of what was shown to me by some of the legends of the past.

This is simply a little story about the table, the grid lines and how they relate to understanding the potting angles of the colors from there spots as well as the navigation of the cue ball. Fortunately I can go into this at great depth with the help of some slides.
                Okay so I'll start us off with the 1/4 x 1/8 grid map and wait for feedback. In the meantime if you want an angle of a color into a pocket put it up and I'm sure it can be answered.
                enjoy:

Comment

I have never ever used fractions to pot a ball, all i do is look at the furthest point of the object ball to the centre of the pocket and make sure white hits that part of the ball. Works for me lol.

Comment

hi,
                    i dont understand the part of looking at the furthest point of the object ball to the centre of the pocket, would you explain please

thanks

Comment

See. I understand it now and it makes sense.
                      it wouldn't of worked for me when i was learning the game as a junior, i'd of been in the club though and not on a forum

Comment

Originally Posted by cheneyxuu View Post
                        hi,
                        i dont understand the part of looking at the furthest point of the object ball to the centre of the pocket, would you explain please

thanks
                        He means the point on the object ball opposite the pocket - that's where the cue ball has to hit. It's just the "ghost ball" method really.

Comment

it wouldn't of worked for me when i was learning the game as a junior, i'd of been in the club though and not on a forum
                          LOL.
                          I might be a junior when it comes to technique but unfortunately I'm very much a mature when it comes to my age and my family commits. I get on the table as often as I can

Comment

LOL.
                            I might be a junior when it comes to technique but unfortunately I'm very much a mature when it comes to my age and my family commits. I get on the table as often as I can
                            so you know what its like to get a slap on the hands for being on here as oven as we are

Comment

so you know what its like to get a slap on the hands for being on here as oven as we are
                              My wife copes with my internet addiction quite well at the moment.

Comment

My wife copes with my internet addiction quite well at the moment.
                                well if your earning a few quid from it then she won't but if not, then its only a matter of time till she starts grabbing you by the ear

Comment

Working...
                                X