Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue balance question

Hi guys

I was playing with a few different cues recently ( well a quick go with each ) . I discovered that I would prefer a 30mm butt over the current 28.5 mm I have now .

My cue is 58 1/4" and is balanced at 17" from butt . I tried a couple of cues that were 57" , which is too short for me . One of the cues felt noticeably "front heavy". It was balanced at 19 3/4" . I found that the cue delivered on line far better than my own cue . On my own cue It can be easy for me to a bit of side movement when feathering the cue , so I concentrate hard on keeping it straight .

The front heavy cue glided back and forth no problem and felt very stable and delivered straight much easier .

Is this a typical characterist of a further forward balance ? If so is there a negative to a forward balance ( I understand this is personal to each player) .

Thanks

Cue balance question

my exprience with my old and new cues was very similar to what you describe.
    No note of the balance points but the new cue felt very back heavy and the tip felt it would want to lift off the bridge hand on delivery.
    Then I noticed that with the old cue I played it with the butt flat down and was doing the same with the new cue out of habit. So to experiment I turned the new cue so the flat was face up.
    Totally different and it then felt solid, balanced and delivered true.
    Odd I know but worked for me, so maybe give that a try
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean ....I always play with the flat down so il give it a try badge up

Comment

Cue balance question

To me cues with a balance point over 17.5" feel very strange. I dont know why. But i always tryed to find cues with a balance at 17" or under. Because i am a tall guy and prefering cues around 59" it is very difficult to find cues around 18 oz with a balance around 17". But this is just a personal thing i guess.
        mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

Originally Posted by Raldon View Post
          To me cues with a balance point over 17.5" feel very strange. I dont know why. But i always tryed to find cues with a balance at 17" or under. Because i am a tall guy and prefering cues around 59" it is very difficult to find cues around 18 oz with a balance around 17". But this is just a personal thing i guess.
          My cue is 58 1/4 18oz with a 17 balance . I'm 6 foot 2" . I was going to go with 59 for my next cue but I rekon 58 1/2 will be fine . Deffo need to go thicker on the butt though 30mm seems right .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
            Hi guys

I was playing with a few different cues recently ( well a quick go with each ) . I discovered that I would prefer a 30mm butt over the current 28.5 mm I have now .

My cue is 58 1/4" and is balanced at 17" from butt . I tried a couple of cues that were 57" , which is too short for me . One of the cues felt noticeably "front heavy". It was balanced at 19 3/4" . I found that the cue delivered on line far better than my own cue . On my own cue It can be easy for me to a bit of side movement when feathering the cue , so I concentrate hard on keeping it straight .

The front heavy cue glided back and forth no problem and felt very stable and delivered straight much easier .

Is this a typical characterist of a further forward balance ? If so is there a negative to a forward balance ( I understand this is personal to each player) .

Thanks

in my opinion, when you play with a cue with Forward balance,, (Between 17.5 and 18.5 inches), you need to put less pressure on the cue (during cueing). If you have the right technique with cueing, the cue do the rest of t work.
            the disadvantage of this is :
            the button of the cue is not as heavy as a cue with back W balance !!
            So, during delivery is harder to stay and keep the cue on the line ff the aim ...
            That's why, a thicker button DIM, works much better with a forward balanced cue,. That gives you more control and a better grip.
            This is how it works for me !!!
            but eventually (as you mentioned), is a matter of personal preference !!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              in my opinion, when you play with a cue with Forward balance,, (Between 17.5 and 18.5 inches), you need to put less pressure on the cue (during cueing). If you have the right technique with cueing, the cue do the rest of t work.
              the disadvantage of this is :
              the button of the cue is not as heavy as a cue with back W balance !!
              So, during delivery is harder to stay and keep the cue on the line ff the aim ...
              That's why, a thicker button DIM, works much better with a forward balanced cue,. That gives you more control and a better grip.
              This is how it works for me !!!
              but eventually (as you mentioned), is a matter of personal preference !!!!
              Very good post and insightful look into something I find important in the playing characteristics of a cue Ramon

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Very good post and insightful look into something I find important in the playing characteristics of a cue Ramon
                thanks, Byrom. !!! Of course, as you mentioned. Characteristice of The cue is the main thing. especially if you want to place order for a new cstm made cue. (Is Always a risk), but it can make a difference if you know what suits your game.!!!

Comment

thanks, Byrom. !!! Of course, as you mentioned. Characteristice of The cue is the main thing. especially if you want to place order for a new cstm made cue. (Is Always a risk), but it can make a difference if you know what suits your game.!!!
                  Oh I agree with you entirely -

Comment

Would the placement of the joint plays a part in the balance?

Example. 14 inch 16 inch and 18 inch.

Comment

i cant play with a cue that is more front weighted.

mind you i cant play with one back weighted either

Comment

i think a gd cue action plays a big part,good cueists can play with most cues ,the other 80% lol will struggle,i play with a 18 1/2 oz forward weighted cue cos ime not a good cueist and find this helps me move the ball more.

Comment

Some very nice posts there Ramon, I wish there was somewhere near me to go and try cues out, otherwise how do you ever find out what is the right cue for you?
                          Very interesting op, Catch22, I have always thought I need a longer cue, and a bit further forward balance , but that may not be the case if my cue was the right length.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                            i cant play with a cue that is more front weighted.

mind you i cant play with one back weighted either
                            Ha, at least you're consistent Andy, that's the winner lol.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Apart of technique, what will be the best balancing for screw back?

Comment

Working...
                              X