No announcement yet.

How many times can you replace white?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The miss rule is something that was brought in and initially it was down to the referees discretion if a good enough attempt had been made, nowadays they seem to call a miss even if its by a hairs breadth. They should use some common sense and if its a good attempt and misses by a very small amount then it shouldn't be called a miss. As it is now its just constant miss miss miss until a hit is made which wasn't the way the rule was meant to be implemented when it was first brought in. You get the very rare occasion where a referee won't call a miss on a good escape attempt but its as rare as rocking horse crap.

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
      When did World Snooker start playing 'foul and a miss'?

Did the players like the new rules when they started?
      As I've said in response to another post, the Miss rule has been in the rules for at least 30-odd years! In the mid 1980s it became apparent that there were some professional players who were deliberately playing to miss the object balls (particularly the pack of reds if snookered behind a baulk colour). Consequently from about 1992 or so the WPBSA tried all sorts o different prescriptive interpretations of the rule to determine when a Miss should and should not be called, and none was very satisfactory, even at pro level (and I can't recall to what extent it was applied at purely amateur level). Then the rule book was completely re-written and the rule, largely as we know it today, appeared in the new version of the rules published in September 1995.
      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
        The miss rule is something that was brought in and initially it was down to the referees discretion if a good enough attempt had been made, nowadays they seem to call a miss even if its by a hairs breadth. They should use some common sense and if its a good attempt and misses by a very small amount then it shouldn't be called a miss. As it is now its just constant miss miss miss until a hit is made which wasn't the way the rule was meant to be implemented when it was first brought in. You get the very rare occasion where a referee won't call a miss on a good escape attempt but its as rare as rocking horse crap.
        I agree that at pro level, 99.9% of failed attempts are called as Misses. Alan Chamberlain was one of few refs who are brave enough not to call one when he though an attempt was good enough.

As you go down the ladder, though, you will find that referees DO use much more discretion in deciding whether to call a Miss. Referees should always have due regard for the difficulty of the snooker and the ability of the player. At pro level though, they are, rightly or wrongly, deemed good enough to be able to get out of virtually any snooker.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by RoryM147 View Post
          Love the fact that everyone assumes I'm replacing the White against my mate a million times. I was asking how many times can you replace the White out of pure curiosity because I didn't clearly know the answer. I didn't want to know so i could apply this to my game. Like I said in my previous posts, I rarely take any fouls, but when I'm behind and lay a snooker I don't deserve to have it replaced once or twice ? Btw all my mates play the miss rule. not to a serious extent but just replace it if there's no real advantage of leaving the White where it ends up.
          (My bold)

I think you are misunderstanding what the Miss rule is about. You don't deserve more misses if you played a particularly good shot to get the snooker. You deserve a Miss if your opponent doesn't make a sufficiently good attempt.

I would strongly suggest that you do play the Miss rule with friends. If your friends really are friends, they will know when they have made a good attempt to hit a red, and offer the Miss!

If there is a one-cushion escape to a red(s) but you play off three cushions to land on a more difficult one, you are by definition not making your best attempt to hit a red. You are making your best attempt to leave it safe. A Miss should be called [b]even if you miss it by only ½mm.

If you play dead-weight but underhit it, again you are by definition not making your best attempt to hit a red. You are making your best attempt to leave it safe. A Miss should be called.

If you play off a cushion for an isolated red when you are not snookered on the pack, again you are not making your best attempt to hit a red.

These are simple examples and by no means exhausted, but it doesn't mean every single failure should be a Miss, as you see on telly. A player knows whether he's made a valid effort and there should be fewer arguments between friends, who know each other's standard, than in an organised match between potential strangers.
          Last edited by The Statman; 12 January 2015, 01:47 PM.

Comment

How many times can you replace white?

agree totally with statman. Ive had very few arguments over the miss rule. always play it. If i think my opponent is weaker than me and gives it a good attempt then i just don't take the miss. Most of the time players are aiming for the safest escape and not the easiest so it should be a miss.
            coaching is not just for the pros
            www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Working...
            X