escaping snookers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
    Does bottom narrow the angle and top increase the angle?
    Good question . .

next . .

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
      More like plain ball only. I've been told on good authority that top and bottom on the cueball can also change the angle it leaves the cushion at. .
      Well i meant plain ball, as why would you use top or bottom ???

Comment

Depends on the angle it hits the cushion, top and bottom should have a similar effect to when you use it on an angled pot at a fairly wide angle.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          Depends on the angle it hits the cushion, top and bottom should have a similar effect to when you use it on an angled pot at a fairly wide angle.
          Just making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself

Comment

I'm not saying I use it, I'm just saying it happens

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Well i meant plain ball, as why would you use top or bottom ???
              Because you want to change the angle that the ball comes off the cushion, avoiding other balls, hitting target ball at a different angle etc . .

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                Because you want to change the angle that the ball comes off the cushion, avoiding other balls, hitting target ball at a different angle etc . .
                Well then I would use side for that, keep it simple and easy

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Well then I would use side for that, keep it simple and easy
                  ok, I'll spread the word.

although, if your cuing under the cushion, top can let you change the angle, where you can't get side on the ball. All about having more shot options available I suppose. .

Comment

You're all missing the point here on hitting snookers. Remember you are dealing with 2 squares here and calculating the angle to use is really very simple provided the cushions are true.

For a 1-cushion hit just mentally project another table opposite the cushion you are going to use and also project an object ball in the same position on the projected table and then aim for that imagined object ball.

A 2-cushion hit becomes a little more complicated but still works. You have to estimate where on the last cushion you need to hit to strike the object ball then project that distance out from the table and aim for the projected distance.

I realize this is hard to explain without a table and pictures but if you remember the cueball will generally reflect off the cushion at the same angle as it had when coming into the cushion then you're most of the way there to figuring this out.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I recall seeing the old video of Ray Reardon (was on youtube but appears to have been removed) and he said about 2+ cushion snooker was "the rectangle rule", basically the line of the first side of the rectangle (from CB to first cushion) will be parallel to the third side, etc. (obviously with NO side).
                      So often I remember this and visualise the sides of the rectangle and project the parallel with good results.
                      Apologies for poor explanation, cant think of a simpler way
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        I realize this is hard to explain without a table and pictures but if you remember the cueball will generally reflect off the cushion at the same angle as it had when coming into the cushion then you're most of the way there to figuring this out.
                        Here you go Terry.

Single cushion escape. A and B are the same length.

A two cushion escape. A and B are the same length. Lines C and D are parallel to each other.

Comment

'zactly what I was looking for, thank you
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                            A two cushion escape. A and B are the same length. Lines C and D are parallel to each other.
                            I appreciate the theory but I think as the cueball hits the yellow side cushion it will pick up some left hand side (cushion induced spin) which will take effect when the cueball hits the black end cushion so line D, whilst fine in theory, is more likely to hit the brown in the example above due to the left hand side ..

Comment

Yes it will it always comes off and slides the rectangle wider. This shot needs to be played with a hair of right hand side for it to stay square off the black cushion.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                                I appreciate the theory but I think as the cueball hits the yellow side cushion it will pick up some left hand side (cushion induced spin) which will take effect when the cueball hits the black end cushion so line D, whilst fine in theory, is more likely to hit the brown in the example above due to the left hand side ..
                                Originally Posted by Alba_ View Post
                                Yes it will it always comes off and slides the rectangle wider. This shot needs to be played with a hair of right hand side for it to stay square off the black cushion.
                                And you learn a new thing everyday. Thanks fellas.

Comment

Working...
                                X