free ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free ball

i am partially snookered but i can see a red with the pink directly behind it in a direct set to the pocket.Can i nominate the pink and hit the red to knock the pink in, i think not.

if not

if i nominate the pink but clip the red before i hit it without knocking the pink in is this a foul, i think not.

can anybody clarify this?

You must hit the nominated ball first or simultaneously with the ball on.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

So you can nominate a colour as a red - combo onto a red and keep shooting, but not hit a red to make a plant onto a nominated colour as a red.?
      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
        So you can nominate a colour as a red - combo onto a red and keep shooting, but not hit a red to make a plant onto a nominated colour as a red.?
        Why do you think it would be ok to hit another ball first before the nominated ball ??

Comment

is it then a foul if you hit the ball on first rather than the nominated ball ?

Comment

Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
            is it then a foul if you hit the ball on first rather than the nominated ball ?
            If you nominate a ball, that is the ball on !

Comment

what i am asking is, if i accidently hit the red first before i hit the pink,( which is my nominated ball as a red )is it a foul.Surely it cant be because there is more than 1 ball on when you nominate a free ball, the ball you are snookered on, plus the ball you have nominated.Similarly when there are only the colours on,if you were to nominate another colour as the yellow , then miscue and actually hit the yellow , is that a foul

Comment

Yes and Yes.

Sec 2.12(a) Nominated Ball states:
                "A nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact of the cue-ball."

The nominated ball MUST be hit first, if you hit anything else before impacting the nominated ball it is a foul.
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Why do you think it would be ok to hit another ball first before the nominated ball ??
                  I dont think it is ok, i am just explaining things in a simple way to view the rule

Comment

That is correct, because if you nominate a ball other than the ball on as your free ball then you have to hit that nominated ball first.
                    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I dont think it is ok, i am just explaining things in a simple way to view the rule
                      You put a question mark after your statement, which suggested you didn't know the answer

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        You put a question mark after your statement, which suggested you didn't know the answer
                        Your right, I was thinking of using it to say is this right.

Comment

Working...
                        X