What it takes to become a Snooker Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
    I said I can't keep my cue straight when I hit hard. Also you might not have read that I have been playing pool for over a year now so my cue action is not that bad and so is my LoS. Overall I am using cue stick for a year and half and can keep it straight with slow controlled shots. Not with high speed shots.
    If you have highest 50 in lineups only then i guess you are still way far off. Any pro probably will have no problem clearing 140 and above on lineup any day any time but definitely they have more than that being just able to do simple line up alone which is far off from being a good match player.

Just enjoy the game and strive to improve whatever you can. Having a sky high expectation can actually kills your interest fast once you realize you will never be half as good as any of those guy you see on TV.

I started the game out few years ago similar to age like you and also had big ambition like you to play like those guy on TV which make the game look so effortless and I've always thought, that's easy i will practice 4-5 times a week and soon i will be able to play like them and own any players in my club.

Over the 1st year, reality sets in that the pros are really quite extraordinary even for a simple pro can hit a ton on the table in every few frame he plays where I couldn't even beat a regular club players or string any breaks consistently above 20. To be pro it only comes with some natural talent and many many years of time spending on the table to achieve it. At some stage I got so frustrated of how much i suck and never would play close to any of the snooker pro that i felt like breaking apart my cue and giving up the game completely. It was so demoralizing when progression was so slow that i never achieved quite the target i set for myself.

Then one day i just realized that i should learn how to walk instead of trying to fly straight. Just rebooted myself, my mental to go back to basics and start to relaxed on the game working on my weakness one at a time and prefect my basic cue action. Also getting lots of laugh playing with the players at my club not taking defeats too seriously. Soon enough i got addicted to the game and for half a year now getting so much consistency in my game already. Despite just hitting only the highest 60 break i felt so much joy and contention with the sport that I can now play alone for hours and hours just playing line up and some other routines for self improvement. Progression lately is so good that i felt i can pot any balls on any strength. This comes naturally with passion....

So just a touch of reality for you on what i have been through, maybe you are one of the extraordinary lot but chances based on the expectation you are having, you might give up the game due to lack of progression which I feel i can at least impact you a little on how to manage it better if things doesn't go your way.

Good luck mate

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
      Totally agree with you here. And I am not acting like a pompous arse who is acting like an obnoxious ***** and think he can be a pro. In my humble way all I asked from my fellow players was - What is it takes to become a pro?
      I had a question in my mind and who is better to ask than my fellow players.
      I also never said that I am as good as a pro player. All I wanted to know was where my game stands now and how much do I need to develop my game to be considered as a good player.

I am sorry but I don't agree with the last few lines. It is not how good the other player is but how good you can be to reach your goals. For instance if Jordan has decided to quit basket ball when he was thrown out of his high school team, he would probably have been working in a McD serving burgers. Rather taking it a negative, one should take it as a exceptional Karma nudge to work even harder to realize his dreams.

I am sure if that friends of yours have continued playing his game and kept on developing it, you probably would have gotten a VIP pass to watch him play at the crucible some day. Just my humble opinion.

You don't get me - yes he could have made it on tour - I know a few players on tour - but that is not making it in snooker that is giving 20 grand a year to World snooker every year and putting yourself through the mill against other top players all of who can do what you can do and more -

Judd is an exception - Robertson too - These players are supremely talented - a top 64 could probably make a decent living 60 k a year now I think at the cut off - but the rest wow what a nightmare - and its far better now than it used to be when Judd was a kid - snooker was just part time back then with 4 or 5 tournaments a few times a year and nothing to do the rest of the time someone 64 in the world back in the 90's made nothing. Players of varying quality - not just the top guys - are only really seeing it as a proper wider sporting profession since Barry took over.

Ps - I have been VIP back there - Barry stopped the free beers - tight git

Comment

its having the ability to apply pressure to your opponent

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          [/B]

...Barry stopped the free beers - tight git
          Not in the Champions Bar! Just sayin!

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
            Not in the Champions Bar! Just sayin!
            Yeah but if you ever got stuck in that dodgy lift you need a beer to settle your nerves when you get out -

Comment

Yeah but if you ever got stuck in that dodgy lift you need a beer to settle your nerves when you get out -
              Haha very true! I favored the stairs, but its like a maze round the back there!!

Comment

HP:

If you're hitting breaks of 50, you can hit tons. Follow some of the guides in the coaching section, have a look at my cueing challenges. The difference between a 50 and a ton is about three-four key shots. Once you have the cue ball control to complete those shots you can make a ton. When you're hitting tons you can begin thinking about a county trial.

I like your ambition and you're going to get lots of enjoyment out of the game on your snooker path with your positive attitude.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  HP:

If you're hitting breaks of 50, you can hit tons. Follow some of the guides in the coaching section, have a look at my cueing challenges. The difference between a 50 and a ton is about three-four key shots. Once you have the cue ball control to complete those shots you can make a ton. When you're hitting tons you can begin thinking about a county trial.

I like your ambition and you're going to get lots of enjoyment out of the game on your snooker path with your positive attitude.
                  no you cant - if you can hit 50's you can hit 50's - what are these 4 key shots - please explain? regular 70's 80's then yes ton is possible - but you cant just jump from the odd 50 to a ton unless you are supremely naturally talented and lucky. Maybe after hundreds of hours over the course of a few years yes.

Edit - sorry MB that sounds more grumpy than I meant it to be - you already have enough people on your case without me adding to the list - I have given up smoking - hate the world today.

Yes of course I hope the opening poster enjoys the game and becomes the best he can be - great game - sorry for being such a pessimist - forgive me
                  Last edited by Byrom; 24 June 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

no you cant - if you can hit 50's you can hit 50's - what are these 4 key shots - please explain? regular 70's 80's then yes ton is possible - but you cant just jump from the odd 50 to a ton unless you are supremely naturally talented and lucky. Maybe after hundreds of hours over the course of a few years yes.

Edit - sorry sounds more grumpy than I meant it to be - have given up smoking - hate the world today.

Yes of course I hope the opening poster enjoys the game and becomes the best he can be - great game - sorry for being such a pessimist - forgive me
                    Hahaha..no worries. Its among us guys. I promise I won't say a word out what you said earlier :P

Just wondering, is there any good material to read that can teach the finer points of the game as in cue control and side spins with their favorable positional position outcomes.
                    I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Comment

yes lots of stuff out there harry potter - look for Joe Davis - Complete snooker for the amateur or something like that -

or look on the web -you tube - type in - snooker pro tips some quite useful stuff out there.

type in snooker coaching - and of you go - PJ Nolan's site has some routines and bits on it to try out - there is a useful thread on here with a few routines on it by a guy called tedisbill who talks a lot of sense and you could download the ding junhui ap on your i phone and take that to the club to do.
                      You could also have a little snooker MOT with a coach if there is any near you - iron out any glitches before you start with the heavy practice - or maybe for a bit of fun watch the player closest to your own natural favoured style of play and mimic him closely - like MB says he does on his thread.

There is lots of advice on here - some of it conflicting - some more complicated than it needs to be - shift thro and pick out the bits to try - and get on a table and give it death - set targets do routines and have fun develop a nice pre shot routine and try and stay consistent - try and play better players and learn a little from everyone you meet.

Sorry for sounding negative earlier Harry - I'm off to chew off my fingers now - enjoy the forum
                      Last edited by Byrom; 24 June 2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

yes lots of stuff out there harry potter - look for Joe Davis - Complete snooker for the amateur or something like that -

or look on the web -you tube - type in - snooker pro tips some quite useful stuff out there.

type in snooker coaching - and of you go - PJ Nolan's site has some routines and bits on it to try out - there is a useful thread on here with a few routines on it by a guy called tedisbill who talks a lot of sense and you could download the ding junhui ap on your i phone and take that to the club to do.
                        You could also have a little snooker MOT with a coach if there is any near you - iron out any glitches before you start with the heavy practice - or maybe for a bit of fun watch the player closest to your own natural favoured style of play and mimic him closely - like MB says he does on his thread.

There is lots of advice on here - some of it conflicting - some more complicated than it needs to be - shift thro and pick out the bits to try - and get on a table and give it death - set targets do routines and have fun develop a nice pre shot routine and try and stay consistent - try and play better players and learn a little from everyone you meet.
                        Thanks again Byrom for all the advice. Will keep in mind all of it
                        I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Comment

Nic Barrow's dvd guide is pretty good. The four key shots are two into the pack/remaining cluster and two long recovery shots on the blue/baulk colours. That's if the break is on song. If not, there may be 8 shots that aren't short range/easy. He can make a cheap ton with the colours and 10 reds/9blacks = 25 pots.

But seeing a good coach can lift your game and a coach can teach you break building because that's what winning a frame in one visit is really about, when you get the opportunity. When you dish in one visit, you send out a very strong message to your opponent. When your opponent is a beast, you've got problems no matter how good you are.

You ain't the youngest player but you can still achieve a lot for yourself. Look at Terry Davidson on here, as old as a turtle but still competing.
                          Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

* Well done on giving up smoking Byrom. You on the vapour?

Comment

no nothing any longer - fresh air - I got my sense of taste back and sadly realise after many years of marriage that the wife cant cook.

My game has gone a bit concentration wise thought process not quite on the ball at the mo but it will recover in time no doubt after a few weeks month or two hopefully.

Comment

no nothing any longer - fresh air - I got my sense of taste back and sadly realise after many years of marriage that the wife cant cook.

My game has gone a bit concentration wise thought process not quite on the ball but it will recover in time no doubt after a few weeks month or two.
                                Well, unless you're getting some lovely jubbly it's time to call your lawyer then lol. A mate has this will power, to give up at the drop of a hat for years on end, have a patch of smoking again and then give up again. I think he's been off it for nearly a decade now. I've always admired his tenacity. Yeah, nicotine is a stimulant. Try a green tea, great for calm thinking. Take your own tea bag to your club and get em to add hot water. Good for ya too.

Comment

Working...
                                X