What it takes to become a Snooker Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Harry Potter:

You use American terminology so I assume you're in the States. If you are it will be very difficult to find a decent coach who can teach you snooker but that is the first step for you. You cannot learn how to play well by reading books and watching DVDs unless you have one HELL of a good learning ability.

Your steps to improve to a high standard are:

1. See a good coach and have him list each problem with your set-up and technique.
    2. Practice a minimum of 5 hours a day and try and master each point the coach gave you ONE AT A TIME.
    3. Have another coaching session and revisit the initial points and any more you've developed.
    4. More practice trying to eliminate those faults one at a time.
    5. Even more practice and more coaching.
    6. Once you start having regular breaks of 70+ then start entering tournaments, every one you can.
    7. More practice and more coaching.
    8. Once you start running 100+ on a regular basis consider entering Q School. (On the first attempt don't expect too much...take a look at Corey Deuel who is a great pool pro and can deliver a cue straight but can't win a match at Q School after 2 years).
    9. More practice and coaching (somewhere in here you should also strive to win the lottery as this will take a lot of money. Most coaches will charge around $50hr).
    10. More coaching and tons of practice. Enter Q School or some PTCs if you can.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      no you cant - if you can hit 50's you can hit 50's - what are these 4 key shots - please explain? regular 70's 80's then yes ton is possible - but you cant just jump from the odd 50 to a ton unless you are supremely naturally talented and lucky. Maybe after hundreds of hours over the course of a few years yes.
      And that's exactly what (almost) happened with a club mate of mine. Scores 50 every once in a blue moon and only against very weak players, has a very limited game, never a threat in any tournament, however a few days ago he knocked in a 98 break in a practise frame against some other guy, missed the black for clearence!!! I also saw even weaker guy, who I would put as 30 breaker at best score a freak 70+ once. Miracles? No. Playing a zillion of frames helps.
      I agree about ton breakers, that's quite a difference.
      Pro players, having seen them play in person a few times, that's another universe. I encourage every aspiring player to try pro-am tournament.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        For Harry Potter:

You use American terminology so I assume you're in the States. If you are it will be very difficult to find a decent coach who can teach you snooker but that is the first step for you. You cannot learn how to play well by reading books and watching DVDs unless you have one HELL of a good learning ability.

Your steps to improve to a high standard are:

1. See a good coach and have him list each problem with your set-up and technique.
        2. Practice a minimum of 5 hours a day and try and master each point the coach gave you ONE AT A TIME.
        3. Have another coaching session and revisit the initial points and any more you've developed.
        4. More practice trying to eliminate those faults one at a time.
        5. Even more practice and more coaching.
        6. Once you start having regular breaks of 70+ then start entering tournaments, every one you can.
        7. More practice and more coaching.
        8. Once you start running 100+ on a regular basis consider entering Q School. (On the first attempt don't expect too much...take a look at Corey Deuel who is a great pool pro and can deliver a cue straight but can't win a match at Q School after 2 years).
        9. More practice and coaching (somewhere in here you should also strive to win the lottery as this will take a lot of money. Most coaches will charge around $50hr).
        10. More coaching and tons of practice. Enter Q School or some PTCs if you can.
        Thank you so much Terry. This is great info obviously came from experience!
        I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Comment

It's hardly worth posting on this forum at the moment. Theres some serious trolling going on.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            It's hardly worth posting on this forum at the moment. Theres some serious trolling going on.
            bit much isn't that?, Terry is only trying to help
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Well I like to think I am talking to someone genuine but you never know on some threads so - ted might be right thinking about it - lots of new members jumping on recently so maybe time to leave the forum few months until moderators sort it out or they get bored and it gets back to normal - see you guys in winter

Bye guys have great summer

Comment

Well I like to think I am talking to someone genuine but you never know on some threads so - ted might be right thinking about it - lots of new members jumping on recently so maybe time to leave the forum few months until moderators sort it out or they get bored and it gets back to normal - see you guys in winter

Yep Agreed it's getting shi*e

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                  Yep Agreed it's getting shi*e
                  yes i thought the same very early, hitting 50 breaks after 4 months...

Comment

Well thanks anyways for the great suggestions and advice.
                    I am not gonna argue on some member's views on judging someone about being genuine or judging the skills based on the months he/she is playing.
                    You, of all people, should know that everyone has different set of skills and grasping power and I am not gonna prove anything.
                    Its afterall your own perceptive and I welcome it - whether +ve or -ve.
                    What I can assure is that I will continue being part of this forum and share my 2 cents where I could, and get the suggestions/tips whenever I need.
                    Thanks again!

Comment

I think it's great that new members are arriving and it doesn't surprise me, Blaster has added some cinnamon to a very boring recipe and the cake is now a winner - it's Blaster What's Done It!

Too many fuddy duddies want TSF to consist of a small clique. If new people join they call them trolls! Seriously, these folk are living in a bubble. People come and go on forums, that's the way it is. Folk who used to post a lot a few years back don't post anything anymore. Few folk stick around after most subjects have been covered and read. Such is life.

Glad that Harry, MikeyD and Tetricky are here, the more the merrier.
                      Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                        I think it's great that new members are arriving and it doesn't surprise me, Blaster has added some cinnamon to a very boring recipe and the cake is now a winner - it's Blaster What's Done It!

Too many fuddy duddies want TSF to consist of a small clique. If new people join they call them trolls! Seriously, these folk are living in a bubble. People come and go on forums, that's the way it is. Folk who used to post a lot a few years back don't post anything anymore. Few folk stick around after most subjects have been covered and read. Such is life.

Glad that Harry, MikeyD and Tetricky are here, the more the merrier.
                        Thanks MasterBlaster.
                        I also feel that it is good if new members are coming in the forum. This only means that new players are taking interest in the game.
                        The old members should make the new one at home and should encourage them in their journey to improve their :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
                          Thanks MasterBlaster.
                          I also feel that it is good if new members are coming in the forum. This only means that new players are taking interest in the game.
                          The old members should make the new one at home and should encourage them in their journey to improve their :snooker:
                          whats your journey harry, where you see yourself in 5yrs time?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            whats your journey harry, where you see yourself in 5yrs time?
                            My sole goal as of now is to first improve my cue control. I want to control the speed and angle of my cue ball and straighten my cue action so that I can make power follow/pull back shots w/o deviating from my LoS. I want to improve my positional play and place my cue ball anywhere on the table. This is what I want to achieve in next 5 years.

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
                              Thanks MasterBlaster.
                              The game is dying in the UK, the fuddy duddy's need to realise this; new members and players are a godsend. Two clubs near me have closed, Riley's is up the swanny and yet every new member is a troll; is this why youngsters and new players don't want to go into snooker halls, when they have to put up with attitudes like that?

Right, breatheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. On to improving your cue action. It needs to be dead straight on the slowest and fastest of deliveries. You need to be able to pot that long straight blue dead weight, and I mean just dropping and no more, with plain ball on the shot, no drag or any spin, middle it and use momentum alone. You need to be able to do this at max speed as well, again, no spin just plain ball. When you can do this with the cue ball behind the baulk line you move on to doing it just off the cushion with the object ball a couple of inches off the middle pocket, the cue ball in baulk, dead straight shot. When you can do this (7/10 is a pass), you put the blue back on it's spot and pot it dead straight with the cue ball in baulk; with your eyes closed. At this point, you will have a laser cue action. If your fingers deliver dead straight, you don't need your eyes once you've set up the correct angle.

Comment

so thats all cleare, now we can move on to the next thread with the help of our good friend blaster, unless harry wants to put up a video showing us where hes at

Comment

Working...
                                X