What it takes to become a Snooker Pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
    Yup, I hear ya Byrom. Have a good Summer m8!
    Needs a serious sort out, someone should start one of those polls, "who should be banned", shouldn't be just about offensive language or threats etc, some people just drag the forum down with there constant drivel!
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      Needs a serious sort out, someone should start one of those polls, "who should be banned", shouldn't be just about offensive language or threats etc, some people just drag the forum down with there constant drivel!
      Do you mean folk who spam a thread about what it takes to become a pro with political agenda poll suggestions? :biggrin-new:
      Last edited by Master Blaster; 27 June 2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
        It's a shame isn't it. Think I need a break as well and hopefully it's a bit better again in a few months.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by I just want a ton! View Post
          A few years ago, I had my eyes opened to the difference between good players and pros.
          I met a gent called Andy Gater in my local club.
          He was brilliant to watch and offered to help me improve my game. I'd only had 1 50plus break before his input, I've got over 50 50 plus breaks a high of 87, my game improved vastly with his what seemed simple inputs.
          Anyway back to him, I never beat him in a frame, even with 40 and 50 start! He was incredible to watch, ton breaks regular, saw a few 140 plus too. One night I walked into the club, the bar man approached me and exclaimed "he knocked a 147 in last night, then a 140 and missed a difficult black to make it another"!!
          He was a very good player. I asked him why he wasn't pro, he said simply, "I'm not good enough"!
          He decided to put a lot of effort in and give it a go though, practice routines, for hours etc.
          He then arranged a money match with David Grace who was ranked in the top 80 of the world and I went along to watch.
          He was beaten 6-0, it was like he hadn't even turned up.
          All I could conclude was that his mental game wasn't up to the same standard. Nerves ruined his game, because his ability was as good as anyone's I've ever seen.
          It was a true insight into the differences of the game and how it's not just pure ability.
          He quit playing and sold his cue after that, a true waste of talent as far as I'm concerned.
          I believe he's still coaching people where he chooses to and he helped my game no end.
          Good post !!
          The best advice about snooker I got , was: In snooker you need to be able to forget the shot you just played ( Or the frame Or the match ). !
          I do'nt think is all about breaks but also mental ability that makes the difference between pros and amateurs !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            Do you mean folk who spam a thread about what it takes to become a pro with political agenda poll suggestions? :biggrin-new:
            Your half way there with the spam, people just need to show a bit more keyboard restraint, there's a general chat section if your lonely. Constantly chipping in on people's threads in a non constructive way simply for your own amusement is dragging the forum down in my opinion.
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Oh the irony
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                Oh the irony
                lolololololol
                #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                  Oh the irony
                  They won't get it.

Comment

I was wondering, how good was Selby when he was a teenager? Think I read somewhere that there were many better young players in his club and most didn't thought that he can reach the top.
                    This comes up all the time and it's simply not true... Mark was absolutely chuffing mustard from 14 onwards and brutalised most young lads who played him including myself...

I'd say Fordy and Gilbert were better than him at 14/15/16 but Mark was always a more focussed individual and everyone thought he'd go to the top (including Willie Thorne) so take that comment with a pinch of salt...

Like J6 says, he did make some alterations and he actually started trying to make them when he was 17/18...

I guess that's an example of how hard the game can be to master... Coz Mark, even with his ability took a good 5/6 seasons before his technique in matches caught up with his game in practice...

when you implement a change... In practice it can help and you can see the results quickly... In match play, when the nerves kick in and it means something to win... it's difficult for us to not revert to type and forget any changes we are trying to make in practice... Such is the will to win.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      This comes up all the time and it's simply not true... Mark was absolutely chuffing mustard from 14 onwards and brutalised most young lads who played him including myself...

I'd say Fordy and Gilbert were better than him at 14/15/16 but Mark was always a more focussed individual and everyone thought he'd go to the top (including Willie Thorne) so take that comment with a pinch of salt...

Like J6 says, he did make some alterations and he actually started trying to make them when he was 17/18...

I guess that's an example of how hard the game can be to master... Coz Mark, even with his ability took a good 5/6 seasons before his technique in matches caught up with his game in practice...

when you implement a change... In practice it can help and you can see the results quickly... In match play, when the nerves kick in and it means something to win... it's difficult for us to not revert to type and forget any changes we are trying to make in practice... Such is the will to win.
                      I'm not trying to be "I told you so" style but I did mention earlier Willie Thorne didnt think he would make it as a Pro, you stated otherwise.
                      He says it in this link here :

https://youtu.be/elSEcfwJgHw?t=9m29s

Comment

I know... I saw the documentary...

But I was in the club when Mark played (and lost 11:0) to Mark Williams in 2000

Willie Thorne then sat around with MJW and they both said Mark had the game to go right to the top...

Willie Thorne talks more **** and contradicts himself more than most, pal.... Hence the pinch of salt comment...

And he definitely doesn't gamble anymore either... Saw him in Mark Jarvis in Coventry in March when he was doing some nonsense at the Ricoh, lol

Comment

I know... I saw the documentary...

But I was in the club when Mark played (and lost 11:0) to Mark Williams in 2000

Willie Thorne then sat around with MJW and they both said Mark had the game to go right to the top...

Willie Thorne talks more **** and contradicts himself more than most, pal.... Hence the pinch of salt comment...

And he definitely doesn't gamble anymore either... Saw him in Mark Jarvis in Coventry in March when he was doing some nonsense at the Ricoh, lol
                          Ahh ok, If you've heard him say it with MJW then thats good enough for me.
                          He must have had a bad day at the races when he did that TV documentary then haha
                          He still has a flutter then eh !!

Comment

They won't get it.
                            Confirmed
                            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Forgive my ignorance...

I missed the irony, please explain? x

Comment

Forgive my ignorance...

I missed the irony, please explain? x
                                Pottr ya comedian, how have you been? How's your game?

Comment

Working...
                                X