No announcement yet.

Basic Snooker Flaws & How to Fix Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like it. might need work towards that with some straight cueing practice.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      Cueing along the baulkline is done without balls. Use the brown spot as a ball and address it there and then start SLOWLY and cue back and forth watching the ferrule of the cue. If you keep it slow it becomes easier to keep everything straight, so back and forth slowly. Try and use a longer backswing and slowly deliver the cue all the way until your grip hand touches your chest.

Then increase the speed of the DELIVERY but not the backswing. Note if the cue still covers the baulkline. Repeat maybe 10 times. If the cue deviates off the baulkline then slow it back down again.

Ok thanks Tel I'll have a go
      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

I was long aware of the the Baulk Line practice and Top Bottom Dot to Dot practice of the cue ball..so these answers didn't surprise me although I had expected any other method or personal suggestion apart from these.
        However, I still didn't get answer of my second question - How to keep track of the aim. Any suggestions on that pls?
        I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

Comment

Originally Posted by _Harry_Potter_ View Post
          I was long aware of the the Baulk Line practice and Top Bottom Dot to Dot practice of the cue ball..so these answers didn't surprise me although I had expected any other method or personal suggestion apart from these.
          However, I still didn't get answer of my second question - How to keep track of the aim. Any suggestions on that pls?
          when you say keeping track of the line of aim im not with you. if youve ever spent much time on the baulk line an im not sure you have you would not really be asking these questions, cus yor droping down onto a line the baulk line. your bridge hand will be fixed on an your cueing along a strainght line, everything awnsered
          any chance of a video to show us where your at?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            when you say keeping track of the line of aim im not with you. if youve ever spent much time on the baulk line an im not sure you have you would not really be asking these questions, cus yor droping down onto a line the baulk line. your bridge hand will be fixed on an your cueing along a strainght line, everything awnsered
            any chance of a video to show us where your at?
            I totally agree what you are saying here but my problem is not what you're thinking. My problem is I am not able to remember the spot where I am suppose to hit as the solid balls confused me where I was suppose to hit.

For example, lets say my cue ball is at the baulk right side near cushion where as my object ball, say red, is at the top cushion right side. I generally go and look the straight line from the object ball and pot and decide where I am suppose to hit. By the time I reach the baulk side, I am not able to exactly pin point the spot where I was suppose to hit. So in this case, even my bridge and cue is right..as I got confused on the exact hitting point, I sometime miss the pot.

It is more of how to you see the ball rather how you hit it. I hope I am not talking non sense here..as I have observed this..not sure if anyone else has.

Comment

Set up a half ball shot and play it over and over again...

If you're missing in different spots then there's something wrong in your technique... If you're missing in the same spot then there's something wrong with your aiming...

The baulk line will help you to learn to deliver the cue straight, but if you're aiming wrong... you need to work at it. Set up the same shot and compensate for where you miss til you get it right... just make sure you are actually cueing straight

Comment

I totally agree what you are saying here but my problem is not what you're thinking. My problem is I am not able to remember the spot where I am suppose to hit as the solid balls confused me where I was suppose to hit.

For example, lets say my cue ball is at the baulk right side near cushion where as my object ball, say red, is at the top cushion right side. I generally go and look the straight line from the object ball and pot and decide where I am suppose to hit. By the time I reach the baulk side, I am not able to exactly pin point the spot where I was suppose to hit. So in this case, even my bridge and cue is right..as I got confused on the exact hitting point, I sometime miss the pot.

It is more of how to you see the ball rather how you hit it. I hope I am not talking non sense here..as I have observed this..not sure if anyone else has.
                If you believe you're on the correct line when standing behind the shot and then lose that correct line as you get down and assume the address position the it seems obvious to me you are not dropping your head straight down when you get down. If you did you would automatically be on your chosen line of aim.

A little trick besides dropping the head straight down is to try and keep your nose pointed at the object ball as you drop down and do not come in from the left but drop straight down

j6 is correct, if you can drop down on the baulkline correctly then it should be the same as dropping down on a pot. You should have a mental picture of a line to the spot on the object ball you want to hit. Practice the baulkline exercise more. Remember, there is no easy 'silver bullet' in snooker and it takes bags of determined practice to improve.

Put up a video so we can see what you're doing.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  Set up a half ball shot and play it over and over again...

If you're missing in different spots then there's something wrong in your technique... If you're missing in the same spot then there's something wrong with your aiming...

The baulk line will help you to learn to deliver the cue straight, but if you're aiming wrong... you need to work at it. Set up the same shot and compensate for where you miss til you get it right... just make sure you are actually cueing straight
                  Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    If you believe you're on the correct line when standing behind the shot and then lose that correct line as you get down and assume the address position the it seems obvious to me you are not dropping your head straight down when you get down. If you did you would automatically be on your chosen line of aim.

A little trick besides dropping the head straight down is to try and keep your nose pointed at the object ball as you drop down and do not come in from the left but drop straight down

j6 is correct, if you can drop down on the baulkline correctly then it should be the same as dropping down on a pot. You should have a mental picture of a line to the spot on the object ball you want to hit. Practice the baulkline exercise more. Remember, there is no easy 'silver bullet' in snooker and it takes bags of determined practice to improve.

Put up a video so we can see what you're doing.
                    Thanks DeanH. I will make sure I follow your suggestions.

I shall try to create a video soon and post it. As I have never seen how I drop and cue the ball, it might be little illuminating for myself too.
                    Just outta curiosity, is there a way to post the video apart from hosting it on Youtube? Is there any inbuild video upload feature in this forum?

Comment

Thanks DeanH. I will make sure I follow your suggestions.
                      I shall try to create a video soon and post it. As I have never seen how I drop and cue the ball, it might be little illuminating for myself too.
                      Just outta curiosity, is there a way to post the video apart from hosting it on Youtube? Is there any inbuild video upload feature in this forum?

I wish I could take the credit, but Terry has this one
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You're too modest Dean... that was you, logged on to Terry's account... We all know it

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                          You're too modest Dean... that was you, logged on to Terry's account... We all know it
                          I actually did LOL!

I'm MB! :biggrin:
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            the baulk line. work on cueing straight along the baulk line , just like you would in normal play. do this for 15mins before you pot a ball, an keep coming back to it. if it dont transform your game within a few weeks i will give you your money back.
                            all the best players have an still do practice this
                            A little word of warning with this one my friends!

I did this for ages when struggling with straight cueing. Did the old run it down the spots no trouble and practiced putting the white ball on the brown spot and trying to hit the pink ball off its spot and over the black spot so it comes back and hits the white ball, that was an interesting one.

Playing the white along the bulk line to come back straight caused me no end of problems for weeks. When we got the table recovered the guy listened to my practice routine and after looking at the old table, he told me that that was a slight bowl in the slate and it did it for him as well, that certainly cheesed me off for a bit but it was a basic one for me to miss so live and learn....
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                            X