Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What decides the price of the cue stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ronfor0603 View Post
    I agree with you. Off course you will have different feel for any cue you trying out. Length, weight, thickness, maple, ash. But i can promise you that a premium cue won't automatically make you a better player. Ronnie, Trump, Murphy, Higgins would beat me any day of the week with a broom stick. And probably most of the players on this forum. You can not buy talent.

Do you really think you would play better if you had Sullivan's cue in your hand? Of course you would feel a different from the cue you playing with now.
    no, but a good cue will make you a better player than with a bad cue

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
      True but there are limits. I was playing with a TW last night, horrible cracking sound. 13 Perfect chevrons, almost gloss finish on the shaft, lovely splicing and finish; great workmanship. But 19oz was heavy, the butt too narrow and the shaft so smooth it was causing more friction than another cue that wasn't as smooth (you will understand this). So no, a more expensive cue doesn't necessarily mean a better cue or a better cue to play with. Honestly, I'd have an 18oz Riley over that TW any day of the week. Cracking noise, horrid (no the tip or ferrule was not loose). Perfect chevrons don't always make a great playing shaft. I've had similar problems with Parris cues as well.

Judd Trump did very well with a Cue Craft cue. If you're a 50-100 breaker, spend £200-300 and see how you go. If you haven't hit a 50, spend £150-200 on a good basic, playable cue. When you're in the ton bracket, that's the time to call CC and ask about a custom. But even customs can turn out wrong for a player and often do. That's why the best bet is to go to a shop and try out a load of cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
        True but there are limits. I was playing with a TW last night, horrible cracking sound. 13 Perfect chevrons, almost gloss finish on the shaft, lovely splicing and finish; great workmanship. But 19oz was heavy, the butt too narrow and the shaft so smooth it was causing more friction than another cue that wasn't as smooth (you will understand this). So no, a more expensive cue doesn't necessarily mean a better cue or a better cue to play with. Honestly, I'd have an 18oz Riley over that TW any day of the week. Cracking noise, horrid (no the tip or ferrule was not loose). Perfect chevrons don't always make a great playing shaft. I've had similar problems with Parris cues as well.

Judd Trump did very well with a Cue Craft cue. If you're a 50-100 breaker, spend £200-300 and see how you go. If you haven't hit a 50, spend £150-200 on a good basic, playable cue. When you're in the ton bracket, that's the time to call CC and ask about a custom. But even customs can turn out wrong for a player and often do. That's why the best bet is to go to a shop and try out a load of cues.
        did not say a more expensive cue, but a better cue! the inference being a better cue makes you a better player, yes or no!

Comment

and what on earth is 13 perfect chevrons?

Comment

And who decides if you have a good cue in your hand? John? Travis? or Mike?
            Or you!

Comment

Or you!
              what an absolute ridicules statement!

Comment

what an absolute ridicules statement!
                You must excuse me, maybe I misunderstood you (could be the language :-)
                But I get the feeling that you think you can become a better player just because you have a really nice and lavish cue. Do i misunderstood you? If so, I apologize.

What I mean is. It's just you and only you who decides whether you have a bad or a good cue in your hands. It does not matter which pro or cue maker. It is only you who can decide that.

Comment

You must excuse me, maybe I misunderstood you (could be the language :-)
                  But I get the feeling that you think you can become a better player just because you have a really nice and lavish cue. Do i misunderstood you? If so, I apologize.

What I mean is. It's just you and only you who decides whether you have a bad or a good cue in your hands. It does not matter which pro or cue maker. It is only you who can decide that.
                  yes and if you decide its a better cue then bingo!

Comment

Or you!
                    Out of interest ron, what cue are you currently using? Also I like the idea of giving yourself a goal of getting an 80 break next year, just wondered why not hope for the century though, it's only another 20 points.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                      Out of interest ron, what cue are you currently using? Also I like the idea of giving yourself a goal of getting an 80 break next year, just wondered why not hope for the century though, it's only another 20 points.
                      I play with a cue that's made in China. Called woods cue. Nothing special, it's made out of ash �� I have tried much more expensive cues form Mike Wooldridge, and some other cue makers. I would like to have a custom made cue, but it's hard to get one in this country (Sweden) And I would like to have a English made. And that's even harder �� Maybe in the future I could visit your country and spend a day trying out some cues. Maybe I find my dream cue then? But for now this will do.

Way I wish I will make a 80 break, it's because my personal best is 64. One have to be realistic. If I make it to 80? I know that my game had improved in a bit. Of course I wish I can score some more points. But if I reach 80? I know that 100 is within grasp ( is that how you say it, grasp?)
                      Regards /Ronnie

Comment

Grasp is correct Ronnie, good luck with improving your highest break and hope you get up to 80 and then the magical century.

Comment

I agree with you. Off course you will have different feel for any cue you trying out. Length, weight, thickness, maple, ash. But i can promise you that a premium cue won't automatically make you a better player. Ronnie, Trump, Murphy, Higgins would beat me any day of the week with a broom stick. And probably most of the players on this forum. You can not buy talent.

Do you really think you would play better if you had Sullivan's cue in your hand? Of course you would feel a different from the cue you playing with now.
                          I think if you read my post carefully, you will see i agree with you, as i said a cue won't make you play better

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            I think if you read my post carefully, you will see i agree with you, as i said a cue won't make you play better
                            Yes, it was wrong of me. I think I responded to both you and a few others in the same comment. I apologize for that

Comment

did not say a more expensive cue, but a better cue! the inference being a better cue makes you a better player, yes or no!
                              Stephen Hendry; 7 world titles with the most famous and successful cue ever; Powerglide Connoiseur - £80. The cue wasnt' custom and it was too long for him, so he adapted to it.
                              Current world champion: Bingo - cue doctor cue of no fame. Few hundred quid.
                              2 grand JPU buyers; dreaming the big one asleep, hitting 50s in reality.

Cues can cost a lot but match ability is priceless. Spend a fortune on practice and coaching. Any decent cue will do (decent can be as little as £100 these days).

Comment

On cues....I played with a load at the shop and would have spent more but the cue that felt best was a light, shorter cue. I'm tall, its nowhere near my shoulder. a little above my right nipple!

I don't understand why you need a longer cue but most coaches I have seen recommend a longer cue for taller players. In my stance, the distance between bridge hand and cue hand are constant. Surely a longer cue just pokes out the back more.

Willing to buy a new one....but this cue feels great. Do any taller pros play with shorter relative cues....I'm sure I remember seeing mark Williams standing with his cue next to him and it was about the same height up his body as mine.

Can't see how if your hands are the same distance how it would affect follow through.

Comment

Working...
                                X