Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What decides the price of the cue stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Erwan_BZH View Post
    I almost cried out laughing recently at seeing two JPU on ebay for respectively £1900 and £2500...This was so insane!
    I hate it when they put these JPU cues up for sale and in the advert put 'I am selling my new JPU because it just doesn't feel right' or 'selling due to not playing much any more'

I would rather they tell the truth and say 'I am selling my JPU because some numpty will give me double what it's worth

Comment

Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
      I hate it when they put these JPU cues up for sale and in the advert put 'I am selling my new JPU because it just doesn't feel right' or 'selling due to not playing much any more'

I would rather they tell the truth and say 'I am selling my JPU because some numpty will give me double what it's worth
      So true seen few my self;selling just taking advantage of waring times for Jp U.
      3/4 Craftsman's Cue Majestic Tulip 58.75, butt jointed at 16", 19 oz , 9.6mm

Comment

"So true seen few my self, sellers just taking advantage of waiting times for JPU"
        3/4 Craftsman's Cue Majestic Tulip 58.75, butt jointed at 16", 19 oz , 9.6mm

Comment

Players (not the carpet baggers) can just order a TP III or Travis, Mastercue, Maximus, MW, Phoenix, etc, etc, and have a the cue just as good if not better in six months for less than half the cost. I could order a Cue Craft Custom tomorrow and have it in 3mths for £400. Trump hit his best stuff with a Cue Craft. His JP doesn't make him play any better. Most folk are buying JPUs for profit, not to play with them. Sad really.

Comment

It's quite an interesting point, at what price in general can you get a decent or good playing cue .I rekon around £100 to 200 and you can get a cue to last you the rest of your life, possibly a lot cheaper if you can get a load to try and pick out one you like. I'm not including folk who can fix up cues, more just an off the peg cue so to speak.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think anywhere between £200-500, you can have a very good cue and perform as good as anyone. Paying more than that is just paying for the extra finish maybe. But I doubt it would play really better...
              Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                It's quite an interesting point, at what price in general can you get a decent or good playing cue .I rekon around £100 to 200 and you can get a cue to last you the rest of your life, possibly a lot cheaper if you can get a load to try and pick out one you like. I'm not including folk who can fix up cues, more just an off the peg cue so to speak.
                You can pick a cue out and try as many as you like at Greenbaize in Stockton. I wish I had done it but instead went for a Mike Wooldridge Tiger. I had it made to my spec and am sure it will be a good cue. It was a bit more than your average cue of £200 but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so I will see how it comes out. What might be a good cue to one person may be the worst cue ever to someone else.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you Luclex, I have only had one cue made for me and that was a low end TP cue, but I have to say it was made exactly to my specs, I couldn't find one thing out of sync( measurement ,weight, and ballance wise) it's still my playing cue and I thought I would never change from my omin.I know it's a gamble ordering without getting to try it out, but if it comes off its well worth it.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you Luclex, I have only had one cue made for me and that was a low end TP cue, but I have to say it was made exactly to my specs, I couldn't find one thing out of sync( measurement ,weight, and ballance wise) it's still my playing cue and I thought I would never change from my omin.I know it's a gamble ordering without getting to try it out, but if it comes off its well worth it.
                    It might very well be an expensive gamble but one of the main things that made me go with it was how Mike constantly talks about the Feel of a cue and that his cues have great playability. He prides himself on this and he also says that the cue is made to perfection with all splicing perfectly in line. God knows I have seen some horror stories with cues having some of the splicing an inch different in length to the other. I'm being very positive about it and hope it's everything Mike claims it to be.

Comment

Your in safe hands with Mike, I would say.

Comment

If you go second hand, you can get one for even less if you're lucky, especially on ebay. My player cost £35. I wouldn't swap it for any of my other cues to play with. No chance. You can spend a fortune on a JP or TW and it may end up playing worse than a Riley. I've come across two such cues in the last couple of weeks. Utterly awful. These may be one offs and the specs were strange but the hit sounding like breaking glass. Dreadful feel. Joints, grrrr! Best player in our league uses a Woods cue and he loves it. I think that's £120 well spent. It's been said so many times, it's the player not the cue. A JPU won't help you hit tons or maxis. You need that ability before it arrives.

Comment

You can buy just as good cue for £200 just as you would if you pay £500 for a cue the difference in price is not the quality of the cue but what name is on the cue.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I've had my eye on updating from my old warped cue to a peradon lazer but I'm not so sure now after reading some of the threads. I can't help but find it shocking that such an old firm (like the above) would be making crappy cues but it seems so.

Comment

I'm not too sure why the word 'peradon' has became a link in my last post, I can only assume it's an automatic thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by MickyBlue View Post
                                Thanks for the welcome. I've had my eye on updating from my old warped cue to a peradon lazer but I'm not so sure now after reading some of the threads. I can't help but find it shocking that such an old firm (like the above) would be making crappy cues but it seems so.
                                Regarding Peradon I know a chap who twice returned a Royal version of their cue.
                                States shaft was ok and playable but the splicing was amateur, join lines very apparent and visible... and this happened on the 2nd cue they sent him too!!
                                The above is from a company who advertise to be one of the original makers of hand splicing haha

I believe they are just focusing more on production levels over quality.

Try before you buy seems they way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X