Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happens in these situations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • what happens in these situations

    Hi,

    There are a few scenarios i would be grateful to get clarified:

    1) an opponent requires snookers, i make a foul resulting in a free ball to my opponent. Can he roll up tight behind his nominated ball to get me snookered. What if he goes for the pot on his nominated ball, misses and i am then snookered as a result?

    2) I have a free ball, pot it (as a substitute for a red) but then snooker myself on a colour. I'm assuming i have to make an escape. Can my opponent make me retake if i miss a colour?

    3) i pot a red, and the cue ball lands between a group of reds making it impossible to hit a colour, what happens in this situation.

    4) black is final ball. I am leading by 7 points. I pot the cue ball, does the black get respotted? If so, what happens if i pot the cue ball again? Does this slightly change if i am 25 points ahead or say 3 points behind?

    5) Apologies for non snooker question but related to the black ball scenario. In 8 ball pool, black is over pocket and is my final ball. My opponent fouls and i am snookered, what can i do?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by fatboy1989 View Post
    Hi,

    There are a few scenarios i would be grateful to get clarified:

    1) an opponent requires snookers, i make a foul resulting in a free ball to my opponent. Can he roll up tight behind his nominated ball to get me snookered. What if he goes for the pot on his nominated ball, misses and i am then snookered as a result?

    2) I have a free ball, pot it (as a substitute for a red) but then snooker myself on a colour. I'm assuming i have to make an escape. Can my opponent make me retake if i miss a colour?

    3) i pot a red, and the cue ball lands between a group of reds making it impossible to hit a colour, what happens in this situation.

    4) black is final ball. I am leading by 7 points. I pot the cue ball, does the black get respotted? If so, what happens if i pot the cue ball again? Does this slightly change if i am 25 points ahead or say 3 points behind?

    5) Apologies for non snooker question but related to the black ball scenario. In 8 ball pool, black is over pocket and is my final ball. My opponent fouls and i am snookered, what can i do?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    1) No he/she can not. If they want to play a snooker they have to snooker you behind another colour. If they miss the pot and snooker you it's fine and within the rules.

    2) Yes they can if you are playing the miss rule. I wouldn't play the miss rule without a referee.

    3) Pull out your protractor. In seriousness, if you are playing the miss rule the requirement is generally that you make a fair attempt. If it is truly unhittable a miss shouldn't be called, we've seen that in the pro game a few times. Otherwise the miss could be called until you need snookers.

    4) The game ends when the black is potted or the first foul on the black. If you are leading by 7, then the black is respotted and you flip a coin for the first shot. If you are leading by 24, you can just call the game. If you are leading by only 3 and foul, I believe you lose the game.

    5) No idea, I don't play much 8 ball. Maybe play a deliberate foul to move the black away from the pocket slightly while still keeping it close to the obstructed pocket? Just a guess.

    Comment


    • #3
      1. no you can't snooker behind the nominated ball.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

      Comment


      • #4
        was going to do the other but have been done for you - as for the pool one - it is impossible - you have ball in hand.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

        Comment


        • #5
          Depends on the balls on the table ,if it's only pink and black, and you have a free ball you can roll up to the black as your nominated ball and snooker them on the pink,( I think).
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the quick responses. Greatly appreciated.

            Comment


            • #7
              In scenario 1, if they miss the pot on the nominated ball and accidentally snooker you behind that ball, that is a foul !

              Comment


              • #8
                5) If you're playing UK 8 ball with world rules, you can nominate your opponents ball, flick off it and hit a cushion (or pot it with or without hitting a cushion), then pot the black.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Big Splash! View Post
                  5) If you're playing UK 8 ball with world rules, you can nominate your opponents ball, flick off it and hit a cushion (or pot it with or without hitting a cushion), then pot the black.
                  I know feck all about pool but what happens if your ball and the black are the only balls on the table? You don't have a shot as you are snookered and even if you play a deliberate miss he doesn't have a shot as he will pot your ball( given they are right over the bag) is this a re rack?
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fatboy1989 View Post
                    Hi,

                    There are a few scenarios i would be grateful to get clarified:

                    1) an opponent requires snookers, i make a foul resulting in a free ball to my opponent. Can he roll up tight behind his nominated ball to get me snookered. What if he goes for the pot on his nominated ball, misses and i am then snookered as a result?
                    As has been said you can't snooker behind a nominated ball either deliberately or by result of the balls rolling (the snookering ball being the closest to the cue ball). It is a Foul. Unless only pink and black on the table then you can snooker behind the nominated black.

                    Originally posted by fatboy1989 View Post
                    2) I have a free ball, pot it (as a substitute for a red) but then snooker myself on a colour. I'm assuming i have to make an escape. Can my opponent make me retake if i miss a colour?
                    If you snooker yourself then you have to attempt to hit the ball on, if you do not contact the ball on then it is a Foul. As usual with any foul your opponent can ask you to play again from where the balls are. IF Miss rule is being applied then the opponent can ask for the balls to be replaced and you to play again. Replacing of balls only applies when the Miss rule is being used.

                    Originally posted by fatboy1989 View Post
                    3) i pot a red, and the cue ball lands between a group of reds making it impossible to hit a colour, what happens in this situation.
                    Impossible snooker is mentioned in the rules. The player must play in such a manner of direction (indirect or direct) and of strength that without the snookering balls in the way the cue ball would have contacted the ball on. Still a Foul but no miss.

                    Originally posted by fatboy1989 View Post
                    4) black is final ball. I am leading by 7 points. I pot the cue ball, does the black get respotted? If so, what happens if i pot the cue ball again? Does this slightly change if i am 25 points ahead or say 3 points behind?
                    After you pocket the white the scores are now the same so tie-break situation arises where the black is respotted and the players choose by toss of a coin who has the choice of going first. The player with the start plays from ball in hand.
                    The first pot or foul and with the applied points ends the frame.
                    Last edited by DeanH; 1st September 2016, 09:36 PM.
                    Up the TSF!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      I know feck all about pool but what happens if your ball and the black are the only balls on the table? You don't have a shot as you are snookered and even if you play a deliberate miss he doesn't have a shot as he will pot your ball( given they are right over the bag) is this a re rack?
                      Dave Walton, Danam or Deano needs to answer this one for sure on UK 8. In American 8, I don't know, HMBS should be able to answer. But I think you can plant the 8 with your opponents ball. I think, not sure, long time since I played US 8.

                      From what I remember of UK8. Let's say you are behind your opponents ball in UK8 and it's in front of yours which is over the pocket so there's no point you playing off your opponents ball (as the free ball) on to a cushion (the white has to hit a cushion after a shot or a ball has to be potted, then the white doesn't have to hit cushion after a pot) because you either can't get rid of your opponents ball to pot the 8 using the two shots from the initial foul, or there is a risk of potting the black as a plant, you would play the DF and put the CB as far away from the two balls as possible. Your opponent then has two shots to winkle his ball out. If the balls are close together or touching he may elect to play a DF and leave the CB as far away as possible as well. You have two shots but you can't get to your black and you don't want to play the free ball because if you plant the black, you lose the frame, so you DF as well. After a set number of fouls, the frame is void. I can't remember how many but there is something in World Rules to cover this I believe. Is it three or five fouls in a row? I haven't played league pool for two years, as my free time is all for snooker now, so any mistakes; sorry bout that.

                      Edit: I think I've only seen this happen once and I think the frame was voided after 3 fouls. Not sure if the ref got it right or not but the guy is the league secretary and says he's an expert. Well, his ego believes that so we all accepted it and re-racked.
                      Last edited by Big Splash!; 1st September 2016, 10:53 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        what happens in these situations

                        UK World Rules the scenario (#5) would be Foul Snooker and either a free ball* or pick up and ball in hand from the baulk.
                        UK Black Ball Rules (not sure) but I believe the same as WR.
                        8 Ball (US) don't know.

                        * for example can play the snookering ball onto the black and pot the black and the free ball (either first) and that is legal.
                        Last edited by DeanH; 1st September 2016, 11:02 PM.
                        Up the TSF!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                          UK World Rules the scenario (#5) would be Foul Snooker and either a free ball or pick up and ball in hand from the baulk.
                          UK Black Ball Rules (not sure) but I believe the same as WR.
                          8 Ball (US) don't know.
                          Cheers D.
                          Yes, and I think that's why the frame was voided. Usually, it's a bad idea to place a ball over an opponent's 8 ball because if you don't get it really close or touching, you opponent comes off a cushion with side and flicks it out the way as his free ball, even if the CB is down the table. However, if you can put the ball close enough, both players can end up chicken and I think that's what happened in the frame I saw; stalemate and rerack. If this was to ever happen by accident, goodness, god has smiled on the guy with the red/yellow remaining and the devil has laughed at the player on the 8 ball.

                          D. What is the number of continuous fouls that ends a frame bud?

                          Where's Hello Mr Big Shat when you need him huh? Come on fella, get out your bed for the nightshift and fill us in on US 8.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            E8B - world rules - if snookered, you can pick the ball up and place it behind the line. Not sure what happens if still snookered from there, hate world rules with a passion, refuse to dignify it by playing it.

                            Black ball rules - can pick the white up after any foul regardless. Can also play a free shot ie you can plant the black in directly if you choose to.

                            A8B/C8B - ball in hand. Simple, effective and a massive improvement on the nonsense E8B rule codes. Two shots? i ask you...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Big Splash! View Post
                              Cheers D.
                              Yes, and I think that's why the frame was voided. Usually, it's a bad idea to place a ball over an opponent's 8 ball because if you don't get it really close or touching, you opponent comes off a cushion with side and flicks it out the way as his free ball, even if the CB is down the table. However, if you can put the ball close enough, both players can end up chicken and I think that's what happened in the frame I saw; stalemate and rerack. If this was to ever happen by accident, goodness, god has smiled on the guy with the red/yellow remaining and the devil has laughed at the player on the 8 ball.

                              D. What is the number of continuous fouls that ends a frame bud?

                              Where's Hello Mr Big Shat when you need him huh? Come on fella, get out your bed for the nightshift and fill us in on US 8.
                              Patience, my child.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X