Concessions - just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In UK pool (WR/BB?) the undoing and/or putting away of a cue is a sign of a concession; it is not so in snooker. LondonLad - thoughts?
    The term "racking" above I took to be using the cue to massively disturb the balls on the table
    Last edited by DeanH; 27 November 2016, 10:08 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's what I meant Dean

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
        Anything like that should be taken as a concession...

I played a match once where I needed to clear to the pink to win the frame, I potted a decent yellow and got good on the green with the blue awkward...

The guy undid his cue and it down so I walked straight round the table and shook his hand... and then started to rack em up for the next frame of the match where I was due to ref...

A hilariously tense silence followed
        Love it ....

Comment

I played a match once where I needed to clear to the pink to win the frame, I potted a decent yellow and got good on the green with the blue awkward...

The guy undid his cue and it down so I walked straight round the table and shook his hand... and then started to rack em up for the next frame of the match where I was due to ref...

I think what you did was a foul, but I'm not sure. I don't like people being like this in snooker, gentlemanly conduct is more important that being good at snooker IMO. I don't care how good you are, if you want to act like a bellend you should be playing pool. The best thing about snooker is the honesty and integrity needed to play it and people lacking that shouldn't be playing.

Comment

Hendry once had his cue taken apart in a match, his opponent missed and he put it back together and played on.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Hm8_wfl54#t=43m20s

Comment

Hendry once had his cue taken apart in a match, his opponent missed and he put it back together and played on.
                Yes, that was against Anthony Hamilton... I remember commenting on it on here, absolutely disgusting.
                I think what you did was a foul, but I'm not sure. I don't like people being like this in snooker, gentlemanly conduct is more important that being good at snooker IMO. I don't care how good you are, if you want to act like a bellend you should be playing pool. The best thing about snooker is the honesty and integrity needed to play it and people lacking that shouldn't be playing.
                Exactly, there's no room for it in snooker. When you're not at the table, count your opponents break, pick the colours out and keep your mouth shut... Simple.

On concessions, you concede at the beginning of your own visit, not after it.

Comment

I'm not dissing pool when I say that BTW. I love pool and I enjoy all the shenanigans that go with it, but it's not snooker. I'll always remember the difference in atmosphere between the pool and snooker rooms in the big halls that sadly don't really exist anymore.

Comment

I think that anyone undoing their cue whilst you are at the table should be put into the rules that this is a concession, it would stop people doing it!
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      I'm not dissing pool when I say that BTW. I love pool and I enjoy all the shenanigans that go with it, but it's not snooker. I'll always remember the difference in atmosphere between the pool and snooker rooms in the big halls that sadly don't really exist anymore.
                      The etiquette in snooker (and English pool) is archaic and utterly stupid.

It's not 1922 FFS. A primary reason for the little Hitler's and tin pot dictators that infest the game at all levels imo.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        The etiquette in snooker (and English pool) is archaic and utterly stupid.

It's not 1922 FFS. A primary reason for the little Hitler's and tin pot dictators that infest the game at all levels imo.
                        Please expand on what you would have instead.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          Please expand on what you would have instead.

I'd have those that get a boner about the letter of the law shot for starters.

Comment

by that you mean me and any others that try to understand the rules of the game we like.
                            Well, me for one, has never asked for anyone to be shot. Down right out of order.
                            So instead of insulting people What rules would you have?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              I'd have those that get a boner about the letter of the law shot for starters.

^ Food for trolls

Comment

One guy in our snooker league did exactly what Hendry did versus Bond. However, he was screwing his cue back on in a hurry as he was approaching the table. He potted the match winning ball, but I don't think his cue was screwed on properly. The hit sounded funny. Hilarious.
                                Of course this should not be allowed. It probably isn't explicitly in the rules.

To be honest I pulled a few crap crybaby moves with early concessions myself. I conceded whole matches early too...not my proudest moments on the table. It was years ago, yes, but hopefully I won't get to that state of mind ever again.
                                It is a frustrating game. I don't think you will find many players who have NEVER EVER done anything wrong on the match table.

Comment

Working...
                                X