How do professionals practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do professionals practice?

How many hours a day do they play and what are their reliances on coaches? I read Selby practices 7 hours a day, are they all similiar?

I would have thought anywhere between 4-8 hours per day should be sufficient practice for any pro depending on time of the year. Some pro's will be doing exhibitions, so they will consider this type of work as part of a practice regime.

As for coaching, I'd say this is a personal thing to each player. Yes they will all may seek coaching but only at times that suit them.
    A coach may have a few sessions with their player one week and not see them again for a month or so. Other coaches are with their players day in day out. It all depends on where the player is in terms of professional development and need. :snooker:
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

A nice job for those with the talent, 4-8 hours practice playing snooker to be a pro player, can't say how much I wished I was in their position.

Comment

they start playing at age 8 / 9 yrs old and they do stuff like this ( lets say 6/8 hours a day ) .:snooker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_PirC6on8A

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
          they start playing at age 8 / 9 yrs old and they do stuff like this ( lets say 6/8 hours a day ) .:snooker:

Thanks for that Ramon, I'm always looking for new routines to do, some good ones there.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Thanks for that Ramon, I'm always looking for new routines to do, some good ones there.
            you're welcome.

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
              How many hours a day do they play and what are their reliances on coaches? I read Selby practices 7 hours a day, are they all similiar?
              Trump was scraping by on two hours a day, one hour either side of lunch! He upped it a bit and his form returned last season and I think he has been doing more with his new cue. Ronnie goes periods doing zero. In the run-up to a major, he'll do 4hrs. This seems a bit light compared to many and I think he's chancing his arm a bit. Talent is a curse it would seem.

Comment

Must be so easy to take it for granted, even Trump,a couple of wins and you think you have cracked it and ease back. Imagine being Ronnie, and having a year off and winning the WC, you would probably think you would never have to practice again lol.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

They play so much these days they don't need as much as they used to - something happening every month ... practice can be laborious for some ... but it's a necessary evil - I would say natural players like Ronnie or trepchia or trump n the like can't be asked these days though they go through phases where as others need lots of work Higgins Selby etc

Some need more some need less but the best natural or not all put the hours in.

You have no excuses if you do - Chinese love long ball stuff especially.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

Is that Stephen Lee respotting the colours

Comment

Usually around 2/3 hours a day if they're on their own and then they have days where the play other pros or top amateurs where it stretches out to more like 5/6 hours...

The key for the pros is to keep interested enough to keep the arm going. At their level, it's all fine tuning and in the head anyway... Nothing left to learn, just experience to earn.

Comment

They wouldn't want mental fade out that they'd get if they practiced non stop I guess, different for each player. I'm surprised people have said the more talented pros practice a lot less though, I'd have though they'd want to cement their talent as much as anyone?

Comment

Yes, some really talented guys barely practice at all and those who grew up watching them and knowing how good they are find it amazing how they haven't been snooker megastars...

You'll barely know the name but Dave Gilbert really is an absolutely phenomenal cueist... He's a great guy and just doesn't have the appetite for it and hasn't for some time...

Tom Ford's one too... Growing up he was unbelievable.

Comment

Obviously I know the names, but I don't know much about them either. Wasted talent I guess, it's sad because when (if) they are older/failed at the sport (not saying they won't be late bloomers) they'll then realise. I'm sure there are a few on this forum that wished they'd been more proactive earlier in their lives at achieving a dream but have been sidetracked by other less important events or reasons.

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                              Is that Stephen Lee respotting the colours
                              fits him like a glove !!

Comment

Working...
                              X