Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aiming problem please help me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • aiming problem please help me

    Thank you whoever is reading this, and willing to help another snooker player
    i really appreciate your help


    i have been having this aiming problem for more than 1 year. went to see my coach and told him that when i lineup i do it perfect but as soon as i get down i am offline 60% of the time ( i have to put side or move my bridge hand to get online ) but i am not doing that. i get up like more than 3 times 70% of the time and i still am offline.

    my coach asked me to play few shots, and said : you are lining up with your right eye and when you are down on the shot your cue is under your left eye ( just a little bit ).
    SOLUTION: he said keep looking at the object ball while you are going down , however it did not solve my problem. i asked him if i have to move my cue under my right eye. i moved the cue under my right eye but i also titled my head unintentionally . then the coach said: no point putting your cue under your right eye which is your dominant eye, because you are also tilting your head which means when you tilt your head the cue aligns under your left eye even though you think its under your right eye

    however, my coach said dont worry about moving your cue under your dominant eye

    its been 2 months since i last saw my coach, but i still have aiming problem, i m 90% sure it has something to do with my aiming ( i recorded my self and i deliver the cue straight, up down straight ) even with a dead straight pot i have this problem ( but less than angle shots ) but as soon as angles comes to play i have to get up few times to get online . sometimes even after 3 times i dont get online, or if does. my body or shoulder or bridge hand unintentionally moves to find the correct path to the pocket



    anyone can help me here ?
    thank you

  • #2
    When down with your cue under the left eye your cue to chest contact point will be closer to your sternum than if you line up with it under your right eye - assuming you're right handed. I got over moving to my dominant eye by making sure my contact point was on line along with my grip hand. It worked for me but make not work for you. If it does I'll be over the moon for you as it's a tough change to make. I used to cue smack under my chin and compensated for it subconsciously.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mrafghan View Post
      Thank you whoever is reading this, and willing to help another snooker player
      i really appreciate your help


      i have been having this aiming problem for more than 1 year. went to see my coach and told him that when i lineup i do it perfect but as soon as i get down i am offline 60% of the time ( i have to put side or move my bridge hand to get online ) but i am not doing that. i get up like more than 3 times 70% of the time and i still am offline.

      my coach asked me to play few shots, and said : you are lining up with your right eye and when you are down on the shot your cue is under your left eye ( just a little bit ).
      SOLUTION: he said keep looking at the object ball while you are going down , however it did not solve my problem. i asked him if i have to move my cue under my right eye. i moved the cue under my right eye but i also titled my head unintentionally . then the coach said: no point putting your cue under your right eye which is your dominant eye, because you are also tilting your head which means when you tilt your head the cue aligns under your left eye even though you think its under your right eye

      however, my coach said dont worry about moving your cue under your dominant eye

      its been 2 months since i last saw my coach, but i still have aiming problem, i m 90% sure it has something to do with my aiming ( i recorded my self and i deliver the cue straight, up down straight ) even with a dead straight pot i have this problem ( but less than angle shots ) but as soon as angles comes to play i have to get up few times to get online . sometimes even after 3 times i dont get online, or if does. my body or shoulder or bridge hand unintentionally moves to find the correct path to the pocket



      anyone can help me here ?
      thank you
      From what you are saying it appears you are aiming (when standing up) with your right eye (which makes no sense at all as both eyes are in play when standing behind the shot). Then you are dropping down into the address position while turning your head to bring your left eye more over the cue. It appears to me you are SIGHTING with your left eye when in the address position.

      My recommended cure for your situation is when standing behind the shot turn your head slightly to the right or else keep your nose pointed at the object ball. Then DROP YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT DOWN. This might mean you have to either lean a bit to the right or else swivel your hips to the left to bring the head behind the shot.

      Once you drop your head straight down and have your nose pointed slightly to the right you should be on the line of aim you determined when standing behind the shot (which is the most accurate by the way).

      Just bear in mind most shots are missed by not delivering the cue straight and most problems in the delivery originate with the backswing. The backswing should be slow, deliberate and absolutely straight. A great way to do this is keeping the cue against the chest and it should be about 2in to the right of the right nipple and just above it.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

      Comment


      • #4

        This video helped me to correct my head position. You should try to learn where is the correct place tô Pütz your head.

        Comment


        • #5
          tnx for sharing i will try this

          Comment


          • #6
            thank you for reply

            yes i find the line of aim with both eyes open, however i quickly do test to see how am i looking at the line and the object ( its with my right eye )

            my coach took a photo of me while in address position, and he says my cue is alittle bit under my left eye, he said when you are putting down your cue its offline, and after few seconds it comes online. he asked me to move my right leg abit to the right side of line of aim before getting down

            however i tried this, and it feels so uncomfortable and i can clearly see that i am always offline. he said dont worry about dominant eye caz you are tilting your head anyway, which again bring the cue back under the left eye

            i dont know whether to see this coach again or not, i m struggling big time with my aiming
            i play up and down 30 mints a day , and 15 mints baulk line cuing, and i can see i deliver my cue pretty much straight and i have very accurate front and back pause with slow backswing and smooth acceleration

            pleaese do share some tips
            i will definately try what u just mentioned
            tnx

            Comment


            • #7
              You might be addressing the cue ball in your peripheral vision with your submissive eye if you're looking at the object ball when getting down into your stance. Stand behind the shot and look from cue ball to contact point on the object ball to put the line of aim into your short term memory and then look only at the cue ball when placing your leading foot (right for a right hander and left for a left hander), once your leading foot is in place look at the object ball when placing your other foot and keep looking at the object ball as you start to get down into your stance, halfway down switch focus to the cue ball and address the tip of the cue to its centre as you get down the rest of the way, once all the way down look up at the object ball again and close one eye and then the other to determine which eye actually sights the cue along the line of aim through the centre of the cue ball.

              Comment


              • #8
                i didnt not understand you

                cue is straight, no matter where you move top of the cue, the grip will still be in contact point with chest

                can you explain it abit clearly, maybe im abit confused

                tnx

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GasMonkey View Post
                  When down with your cue under the left eye your cue to chest contact point will be closer to your sternum than if you line up with it under your right eye - assuming you're right handed. I got over moving to my dominant eye by making sure my contact point was on line along with my grip hand. It worked for me but make not work for you. If it does I'll be over the moon for you as it's a tough change to make. I used to cue smack under my chin and compensated for it subconsciously.
                  i didnt not understand you

                  cue is straight, no matter where you move top of the cue, the grip will still be in contact point with chest

                  can you explain it abit clearly, maybe im abit confused

                  tnx

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    From what you are saying it appears you are aiming (when standing up) with your right eye (which makes no sense at all as both eyes are in play when standing behind the shot). Then you are dropping down into the address position while turning your head to bring your left eye more over the cue. It appears to me you are SIGHTING with your left eye when in the address position.

                    My recommended cure for your situation is when standing behind the shot turn your head slightly to the right or else keep your nose pointed at the object ball. Then DROP YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT DOWN. This might mean you have to either lean a bit to the right or else swivel your hips to the left to bring the head behind the shot.

                    Once you drop your head straight down and have your nose pointed slightly to the right you should be on the line of aim you determined when standing behind the shot (which is the most accurate by the way).

                    Just bear in mind most shots are missed by not delivering the cue straight and most problems in the delivery originate with the backswing. The backswing should be slow, deliberate and absolutely straight. A great way to do this is keeping the cue against the chest and it should be about 2in to the right of the right nipple and just above it.
                    thank you for reply

                    yes i find the line of aim with both eyes open, however i quickly do test to see how am i looking at the line and the object ( its with my right eye )

                    my coach took a photo of me while in address position, and he says my cue is alittle bit under my left eye, he said when you are putting down your cue its offline, and after few seconds it comes online. he asked me to move my right leg abit to the right side of line of aim before getting down

                    however i tried this, and it feels so uncomfortable and i can clearly see that i am always offline. he said dont worry about dominant eye caz you are tilting your head anyway, which again bring the cue back under the left eye

                    i dont know whether to see this coach again or not, i m struggling big time with my aiming
                    i play up and down 30 mints a day , and 15 mints baulk line cuing, and i can see i deliver my cue pretty much straight and i have very accurate front and back pause with slow backswing and smooth acceleration

                    pleaese do share some tips
                    i will definately try what u just mentioned
                    tnx

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      You might be addressing the cue ball in your peripheral vision with your submissive eye if you're looking at the object ball when getting down into your stance. Stand behind the shot and look from cue ball to contact point on the object ball to put the line of aim into your short term memory and then look only at the cue ball when placing your leading foot (right for a right hander and left for a left hander), once your leading foot is in place look at the object ball when placing your other foot and keep looking at the object ball as you start to get down into your stance, halfway down switch focus to the cue ball and address the tip of the cue to its centre as you get down the rest of the way, once all the way down look up at the object ball again and close one eye and then the other to determine which eye actually sights the cue along the line of aim through the centre of the cue ball.
                      tnx i will try this

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mrafghan View Post
                        tnx i will try this
                        If it helps or not please say so.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm glad there are other people on the forum who can help with this dominant eye stuff. I literally do not get any of it in the slightest!
                          "just tap it in"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                            I'm glad there are other people on the forum who can help with this dominant eye stuff. I literally do not get any of it in the slightest!
                            It is not a valid argument at all and came from Joe Davis cueing under his left eye but that was because he was almost blind in his right eye. It has since become one of the reasons a player is missing pots when in reality the missed pots are just about 100% due to bad cueing.

                            We will only sight with one eye when we are down on the shot and that should be called the 'preferred' eye as it is not necessarily the player's 'dominant' eye. It's very easy to check which eye is doing the sighting. Cue up on the baulkline without a cueball and point your cue at the edge of the leather on the black pocket. Now, while staying down in the address position close one eye at a time and check to see if the cue looks to be pointed at the edge of the leather. Unless a person is evenly sighted and can change his sighting eye the cue will appear off to the side from one of the eyes.

                            In the final analysis...it just doesn't matter as long as the player uses one set-up and sticks with it. This also keeps the player closer to his own natural style rather than ettempting to change things based on a shakey theory.
                            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 14th March 2017, 01:23 PM.
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              It is not a valid argument at all and came from Joe Davis cueing under his left eye but that was because he was almost blind in his right eye. It has since become one of the reasons a player is missing pots when in reality the missed pots are just about 100% due to bad cueing.

                              We will only sight with one eye when we are down on the shot and that should be called the 'preferred' eye as it is not necessarily the player's 'dominant' eye. It's very easy to check which eye is doing the sighting. Cue up on the baulkline without a cueball and point your cue at the edge of the leather on the black pocket. Now, while staying down in the address position close one eye at a time and check to see if the cue looks to be pointed at the edge of the leather. Unless a person is evenly sighted and can change his sighting eye the cue will appear off to the side from one of the eyes.

                              In the final analysis...it just doesn't matter as long as the player uses one set-up and sticks with it. This also keeps the player closer to his own natural style rather than ettempting to change things based on a shakey theory.
                              I agree with this. IF someone has a DOMINANT eye, it is not necessarily best for that eye to be directly over the cue. I agree with the use of the term "preferred eye" instead. In my case, this was another variable that I experimented with over quite a long period. Previously, I had always tried to emulate Steve Davis and the cue was center of my chin, middle of the eyes. First, I will say that as I have gotten older, eyes have gone bad so I normally wear bi-focal glasses. For snooker, I wear contact lenses balanced well but stronger prescription in my right eye (my left eye is naturally stronger). When I do "self tests" of which is the dominant eye, I get varying results, just don't know, but I thought it was left. So I asked the optometrist to tell me which is the dominant eye and she did a test and said "right". I said, "That can't be. Let's try again." We did a different test and she said, "right". On my table experimenting, if I put the cue under my right eye, my potting is horrible. Cue centered, potting is okay, but just doesn't feel correct. My left eye is definitely preferred eye...I don't think cue is directly under left eye, just shied toward the left eye side of my face.

                              What Terry says is spot on that you must do it the same ALL THE TIME, and that even includes when using the rest which of course seems different but you need to still keep the relationship between eyes and line of aim. Either pick a method and get used to it, or experiment with everything, decide what seems most comfortable and then CONSCIOUSLY line up on the cue the same way every time. I think that often people simply don't pay attention so they will not even realize any relation at all between their eyes/face and the line of aim. It must be consistent.

                              To the OP I would say that most of your actual "aiming" comes when you are standing up behind the line. The big trick is to move from standing behind the line down into the cueing position while MAINTAINING the relationship between your eyes/face to the line of aim. If you lose that line, you won't get it back when you are down, you must get back up, see it again, then move back down carefully holding the relationship. When I do it correctly, I am sure I look like one of those African ladies perfectly balancing the big jug of water on top of their heads....my face perfectly steady looking down the line of aim, arms and legs flailing about, moving into their required positions, climbing over cushions or whatever, but my head moves forward and down in a straight line and perfectly level.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X