Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this a free ball, i got told no .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much gobbledegook on here now, let's all agree it's a free ball

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      That's not correct. There are loads of occasions you are not able to hit both extremes and it's not a free ball, you can not count the flat of the cushion as a blocking point, remember you can't be snookered by a cushion.
      yes I agree cushions don't count ...the green is the blocking ball

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave_marsy View Post
        You have got to be able to hit all of the red the green ball is the obstruction ...so ITS A FREE BALL
        I agree it's a free ball, but the point they are making is the knuckle is stopping you hitting as much of the red as possible, if the green wasn't there ,and because this is closer to the cue ball, it's classed as the first blocker so no free ball( I hope that's what's being argued) I am saying I don't think the knuckle is the first blocker so it is a free ball.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Too much gobbledegook on here now, let's all agree it's a free ball
          Correct lol

Comment

Correct lol
            Also correct
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I agree it's a free ball, but the point they are making is the knuckle is stopping you hitting as much of the red as possible, if the green wasn't there ,and because this is closer to the cue ball, it's classed as the first blocker so no free ball( I hope that's what's being argued) I am saying I don't think the knuckle is the first blocker so it is a free ball.
              Yep, but no.

the line from the left edge of the CB to the right edge of the Red goes through the curve. So the CB (on that line) will hit the curve and go into the middle of the table, unlike a straight cushion, where the CB will hit the Red.

I don't think that those arguing that it is not a Free Ball agree with it, but that is the strict application of the rule...

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                Yep, but no.

the line from the left edge of the CB to the right edge of the Red goes through the curve. So the CB (on that line) will hit the curve and go into the middle of the table, unlike a straight cushion, where the CB will hit the Red.

I don't think that those arguing that it is not a Free Ball agree with it, but that is the strict application of the rule...
                Only balls can cause an obstruction to award a free ball ...so the green is limiting you

Comment

Yep, but no.

Indeed. As I've said, before this question arose I'd have awarded a free ball all day long.
                  Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Only balls can cause an obstruction to award a free ball ...so the green is limiting you
                    No, that is incorrect.

The curved part of a pocket is considered to be an obstruction, and if that is nearer to the cue ball than an obstructing ball, then no free ball can be given.

2.17:

(e) The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
                    cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
                    obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

Comment

Yep.

For those thinking it isn't a Free Ball, as the Rule is written... (well my understanding)

You have a Free Ball: you play to pot the Black and miss. Being cunning, you play the pot to leave the last red snookered behind the Pink, which works.

However the Black has rolled into a similar line (ie between the CB and Red): is it a Freeball?

Answer: it depends which side of the Pink the Black is. If it CB side then it is a Free Ball, if it is Red side then it isn't - as the FIRST obstruction is the only relevant one ie the Pink.

In the photo above, the curve of the cushion is the first obstruction, so the Green is irrelevant. However, the curve is an integral part of the table, which is not relevant in Free Balls.
                      Spot on! Nice that someone else gets it.

Comment

yes I agree cushions don't count ...the green is the blocking ball
                        But the curved part of cushions do count. The curve is nearer than the green, so NO free ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                          No, that is incorrect.

The curved part of a pocket is considered to be an obstruction, and if that is nearer to the cue ball than an obstructing ball, then no free ball can be given.

2.17:

(e) The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
                          cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
                          obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.
                          The curve doesn't matter green is stopping you hitting the red ....it dosent matter if you can pot the red or not
                          No matter what it's a Free Ball
                          Last edited by Dave_marsy; 8 August 2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

For those that aren't getting this:

The Rule is designed for the CB being in the jaws of the pocket from a Foul, however, it is badly worded so that it applies in the photo.

The photo SHOULD be a Free Ball, but the Rule is badly worded, and few, if any Ref's would actually enforce it due to the bad wording. IF I was a Ref, which I am not, I would explain it to both players and expect them to agree to a Free Ball, but if one didn't, then I would have to go with the player wanting the Free Ball.....

Comment

The curve doesn't matter green is stopping you hitting the red ....it dose the matter if you can pot the red or not
                              No matter what it's a Free Ball
                              It does, due to the bad wording - I'll explain on Friday......

Comment

You need to consider that the point where you need to hit the red is NOT where you can hit the red and cushion simultaneously, but where you would hit the finest edge of the red if the straight part of the cushion wasn't there. They are two different paths, and the curved part of the cushion is in the way of hitting the finest edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X