slow backswing vs smooth cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Hardly anyone has an average of 60-80. We all exaggerate our skill levels, and have a tendency to think the best we've ever played at is our natural level, when it most certainly isn't.
    Hmm if he was that good he would be on telly

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      Hardly anyone has an average of 60-80. We all exaggerate our skill levels, and have a tendency to think the best we've ever played at is our natural level, when it most certainly isn't.
      60-80 break average. This basically means for every break of 20 you make, you have to play a century.

Comment

What are pros average breaks? I'd guess around the 50 mark, I really don't want to think what mine is

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          What are pros average breaks? I'd guess around the 50 mark, I really don't want to think what mine is
          Only the very elite get near those numbers. How many times do you hear the referee say "Matthew Stevens, 12"?

Comment

Is a shot to nothing classed as a break, so a long pot back to baulk trickle behind a colour for a 1, if it does you are then needing two 120 breaks to average eighty!
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

slow backswing vs smooth cueing

I don't get the whole average break thing either?

I'd expect to make a ton every 20 frames I play.

My pro mates would make one every 2/5

Top pros every 2/3

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Is a shot to nothing classed as a break, so a long pot back to baulk trickle behind a colour for a 1, if it does you are then needing two 120 breaks to average eighty!
                That's a question I thought about as well. Is potting one red without a color already a break? Or is a minimum of two potted balls needed to be considererd a break?

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                  That's a question I thought about as well. Is potting one red without a color already a break? Or is a minimum of two potted balls needed to be considererd a break?
                  If you are trying to calculate an average that means anything, then no it doesn't count. I remember trying to calculate the average amount of 'scoring chances' it took for a pro to win a game. I only counted breaks over 10. For the record, the average was roughly 2.8 or something like that. Top players averaged 1.7 chances per frame. If I counted all the '1s' and '3s'. It would be closer to an average of 8 innings, which is misrepresentative of what happens on the table.

To the main topic of the thread, I like to practice cueing and timing by shooting balls directly into the pocket without an object ball as though I were a beginner. After doing that for a short while, I'll reintroduce the object ball and focus on maintaining relaxed, straight cueing. I find it easier to focus on my cue action without the distraction of potting and cue ball control. When I reintroduce the cue ball I'm usually amazed by the amount of pace I can generate with such little effort, especially if I've been playing with a lot of tension in my arm recently.

Comment

good for you

I did lots of up and down and as on last backswing and delivery i was watching my cue ( its not what i do in real game ). however i pulled the cue very very slow and kept watching the cue and i started to generate acceleration slowly ( lets say speed like 1x ........10x ) on delivery and i also forced my self to see the cue while delivering ( bcaz i mostly put right hand side on cue ball )

today i was missing easy shots in the beginning bcaz i was pulling the cue extreamly slow, and that up and down practice was in my mind, maybe it was effecting my timing etc , dont know. so i started to forget about slow backswing and did line ups and i was cueing better

question? should i be doing up and down at all to fix unintentional side issue? as in my video i can see that the butt of the cue goes abit to the left and the tip of the cue abit to the right on delivery

should i practice on baulk line ? or in a bottle ?
                    i wanted to buy nics cat, but its very expensive

today i made couple of 70, 60, 80 etc breaks, hopefully i can get better

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Enough with shooting the spots. I do this 3 or 4 times before I try long blues in my warm-up routine but 100 is a tad too many even if you are trying to find out why you put on right-hand side. Shooting the spots isn't going to help you with that.

First of all, slow backswing will help and a rear pause will help even more. To try and cure this I think you need to do a muscle-memory thing. Cue back and forth on the baulkline SLOWLY and watch your ferrule as you do this and try and keep the ferrule covering the baulkline at all times. You can speed this up a bit however there's no need to power it up to 10/10, just keep it down.

One other point, when applying your maximum power you must expect to deliver the cue a little crooked, every player will do that sometimes when using maximum power. Players are much more accurate at medium pace. One other point, when I say maximum power of 10/10 I mean the maximum power you can use EFFECTIVELY and still pot balls like long blues.

Try long blues from the baulkline and screw back as much as you can and see where you start breaking down consistently and that will be your point of maximum power or 10/10. Of course, this also depends on the speed of the table. For instance I can pot a long blue and screw back to the baulkline with around 50% accuracy, so that is trying to use too much power.
                      thanks, i will decrease the amount of playing up and down
                      and yeah you a r right, as i do slower backswing and i go for the max speed up and down, i can get it twice hitting the top cushion straight. however when i do that slow backswing while potting balls my timing seems to be off. what i mean is that i do slow down backswing however slowing down too much i think will cause problem with the timing etc. am i right terry?

the other point on long blues, i can screw back and sometimes i can screw back and in off in green pocket. however sometimes it hits next to jaws etc. does this mean i put side while hitting ? and some times my cue falls off my bridge and i miss pot way off the pocket ( this happens when i play exhibition shots or force to do so much with cue ball )

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        Can't see anything from this video that's causing that little waggle in your cue as you deliver. Can't see if there's any head or body movement as we can't see your head or body, can't see if your grip is closing too early as we can't see your grip hand, can't see if your bridge hand is moving as we can't see your bridge hand.
                        Can't see you mate, what on earth do you expect.
                        mate, the reason i recorded using headcam is just to see , am i putting side before the delivery, or after ( so i slowed the video down and i can see that i aim in the centre and in delivery i hit right side of the cueball

so this video's purpose was to focus on the cueball

however u can see alot, if you are an experienced player, no offense though
                        tnx

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                          I think the waggle is caused purely by the force of impact. Something I have noticed a lot on telly when they show power shots in slow motion.
                          power shots in slow motion?
                          can you share some?
                          tnx

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
                            mate, the reason i recorded using headcam is just to see , am i putting side before the delivery, or after ( so i slowed the video down and i can see that i aim in the centre and in delivery i hit right side of the cueball

so this video's purpose was to focus on the cueball

however u can see alot, if you are an experienced player, no offense though
                            tnx
                            Logic dictates that you can't put side on after you have struck the cue ball, logic dictates that if you address centre and end up with right hand side on the cue ball then you're not cueing straight, expecting someone on the forum to come up with an exercise to stop this when no one can see how it's happening is like sacrificing a goat to stop a drought.
                            To be honest if you have video equipment to film yourself then you can do so from all angles and work it out for yourself. Set up your camera right behind you and see what's happening to your grip hand/arm/shoulder/body/head etc on your backswing and delivery.

A coach doesn't look at the cue ball, a coach watches the player, an experienced player would know that, no offense though.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Hmm if he was that good he would be on telly
                              y would u discourage people
                              i am trying to be pro , so hopefully one day i will be
                              i was told years ago @ this forum to quit snooker and play golf, but kept going and today i am happy with the result, didnt come easy, did hundreds of hours of practice

im not pro, but i can be
                              im not hopeless, i will give it my best . the rest comes all to destiny

tnx for negative comments though.... in practice room, when all these negative comments comes to my mind, i practice harder and harder
                              in a way, it gives me more motivation

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                                You are doing amazing to have an average break around 60-80 with all your problems. I feel I play ok and don't have too many issues that worry me in my game but as an average break I'd honestly say it's more like 30, I do get regular 50+ breaks but no way that would be my average.
                                well, if you count it that way. then mine would be 40 to 50 average break
                                i thought if u get regular 50, then your average would be 50

Comment

Working...
                                X