No announcement yet.

What is needed for a power screw shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is needed for a power screw shot?

Hello guys
    I want to ask you all a question regarding the suitable equipment when it comes to executing a screw shot across the length of the table what kind of cue and tip will give you the best chances of performing the shot? I heard a very stiff cue with a very soft tip is the way to go. And what about the weight of the cue? Any info is appreciated.

Doesn't matter at all what cue or tip you use !! It's your cue action that does it

Comment

as JRC saying it is not the "tools" but the user that makes the shots

see a recent thread that is on topic that may give you some tips to how to play the shot.
      https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...-screwing-back
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If it was just a case of getting the right cue and tip we would all be doing it lol.

Comment

I know its all about the cue action of the player but I have tested a few tips on simple shots playing every shot multiple times and with different tips and cues it gives me different reactions and was just wondering what's gonna be the best tools for impossible screw shots

Comment

The most important thing is not to try to hit the ball too hard as that invariably leads to head/body movement which means the tip doesn't strike at the address point but probably higher, relax and move the cue through faster, not harder as harder leads to tension in the bicep, brings the shoulder into play leading to the said movement and a tendancy to try to get the speed needed instantly instead of accelerating forward, and a looped bridge could also help here as the forefinger over the top of the cue keeps it low.

As for cues, well some do have more responsive shafts that have an effect on the nano second the tip is in contact with the cue ball generating spin, Trump changed cues last year as his old one had lost that feeling, though you wouldn't know it to see him play, but the feel had changed so he moved on, and it's a feeling that you're used to.
            Let's face it the pros play for hours a day almost everyday so their cues are going to get hammered, especially Trump's with the power he uses; my cue I've had since 1985, just cleaned, oiled, waxed and polished it and it looks and plays as good as new; I do this to my cue once a year every year as it's very important to look after the wood so that it doesn't dry out and become 'dead' losing it's natural flex.

As for tips, well you won't play any deep screws with a screw on tip on a pub pool cue, you won't play any deep screws with a tip that's flat and hasn't been domed or one that's been allowed to go shiny and hard with accumulated chalk, after that it's what you like and how it feels and how you play.
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

vmax thanks for the detailed response, I am only asking because now I am using very flexible and light cue with a soft tip and I perform quite well but every single person who had played even one shot with my cue )has told me to get a stiffer cue and I would be able to perform even more extreme shots(I have some decent cue power). When the distance between cue ball and object ball is small I perfected the soft screw and can screw back the length of the table without even trying, but as the distance increases, problems arise.

Comment

Originally Posted by buluth View Post
                vmax thanks for the detailed response, I am only asking because now I am using very flexible and light cue with a soft tip and I perform quite well but every single person who had played even one shot with my cue )has told me to get a stiffer cue and I would be able to perform even more extreme shots(I have some decent cue power). When the distance between cue ball and object ball is small I perfected the soft screw and can screw back the length of the table without even trying, but as the distance increases, problems arise.
                I have a beech cue for sale on ebay at the moment, quite light at 16.75 oz's but beech is stiffer than either ash or maple so less flex and the tip on it is a TS Long Ba which are excellent tips giving good grip. I had a play with it before packing it for shipping and it's very nice, lovely balance to it and excellent response from that beech shaft.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

A firmer tip will transfer more energy and a heavier cue will provide more mass and generate more spin this is simple physics. The key after that is generating cue speed and a accuracy, long backswing and relaxed grip will help getting the tip to the right spot on the CB.

Comment

philthepockets sorry but that is incorrect its speed that counts a lighter cue will generate more spin as you can accelerate it faster a heavier cue will hit the white harder but wont generate as much spin thats physics

Comment

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity. Cue speed is irrelevant if it has no mass, by your thinking you could generate more energy if you struck the CB with a feather and we know that is simply not true.
                      Last edited by Philthepockets; 23 September 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X