The common link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by northerner View Post
    That's my slow internet, that is. I had it hours ago... but Greene's draw wouldn't load.
    Hehe, well done to missneworleans and yourself. The answer was indeed "they have all lost to Yu Delu in a ranking event".

Yu has quite the record in these wildcard matches, he's won four out of eight. He lost in the decider three times, to the players I mentioned above, and 5-3 to Ricky Walden. He also played in the Hainan Classic last week, with another couple of good victories over Walden and Ding. He missed the Shanghai Masters because of an illness, but he will be playing in the China Open against Greene. It will be interesting to see if he can win another one.

Tian Pengfei wasn't bad thinking either. His scalps include Mark Davis, David Gray and Andrew Higginson in wildcard rounds, as well as O'Sullivan and Fu in the last32 stages. His name is not on the list of wildcards for China, but with two places still to be announced, he just might get one of them.

Thanks for playing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by northerner View Post
      Can I set the next one?

Ding Junhui, Marco Fu, Michael Holt, Nigel Bond, David Roe, Daniel Wells, Liu Song, Xiao Guodong but sadly not Jimmy White
      That's an interesting crop of players. Are they the only ones who share this link?

Comment

• Have they all won a World Ranking Event at the first attempt?
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

• They have all beaten a defending champion in a final.. except Jimmy
          Easy on the garlic....

Comment

• Not a complete list. You could certainly add Stuart Pettman and Mark Allen, but alas sadly not Stuart Bingham - he was in the same boat as Jimmy White, or perhaps I should say that due to circumstances neither of them were.
            Last edited by northerner; 15 March 2011, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• Perhaps I should add that their common 'achievement' didn't happen on the main tour.

Comment

• Is it something to do with the World Amateur Championship?

Comment

• No - they were all most definitely involved in a professional capacity.

Comment

• Their first match at the crucible or in another ranking event was against the current champion.
                    You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

• Not at all, in fact it didn't involve main tour competition at all, though all in the last 4 years.

Comment

• I've been thinking about this one again recently. Any chance you can give us another hint?

Comment

• Invitational. May have escaped the British media, but Stuart Pettman's book would certainly go a long way to answering the question.
                          Last edited by northerner; 30 May 2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• It's been more than seven years, so I don't think we'll get an answer for the last one... Here is an easy one to resurrect this thread though:

What do Ding Junhui, David Gray, John Higgins, Shaun Murphy, Neil Robertson, Judd Trump and Mark Williams have in common? It's something no one else has done in the history of the game. :smile:

Comment

• I am a little rusty.... UK Finals?

Comment

• Originally Posted by circle View Post
                                I am a little rusty.... UK Finals?
                                Nope, nothing specifically to do with UK finals. :smile:

Comment

Working...
                                X