Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, let's get this answered...

For 2 points:

It is something only seeded players have a chance of doing. In fact, the lowest four seeds only have the chance to do it in the semi-finals or the final, so it's remarkable that Gilbert has managed it this year. :smile:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      Okay, let's get this answered...

For 2 points:

It is something only seeded players have a chance of doing. In fact, the lowest four seeds only have the chance to do it in the semi-finals or the final, so it's remarkable that Gilbert has managed it this year. :smile:
      Play on one table over in match longer than 25 frames?

Comment

• I can barely remember what the answer to the above question was, but since I don't like to leave things unfinished, let's bring this to a conclusion.

A free hint for you, still for 2 points:

The original question from two years ago stated that Eddie Charlton, Ray Reardon and Terry Griffiths were the only players who have had something rather obscure and trivial happen to them at the Crucible on more than one occasion. It's something to do with a particular result in matches over three sessions or longer. Since the question was asked, Kyren Wilson has joined that trio, and he did so when he lost the final in 2020.

Comment

• oh my!
          I thought this was lost in the mists of time!

my mind! blown!

aaaarrrggghhh! running away!

hehehehehe!
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• I was looking for this thread the other day to see if there had ever been a correct answer. Apparently not, and I still don't have a clue. Kyren lost all frames of the final session last year, is that relevant? Or could it be both winning and losing large numbers of consecutive frames?
            Last edited by Mark187187; 4 May 2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
              I was looking for this thread the other day to see if there had ever been a correct answer. Apparently not, and I still don't have a clue. Kyren lost all frames of the final session last year, is that relevant? Or could it be both winning and losing large numbers of consecutive frames?
              Not quite. It's more to do with the end result rather than anything else.

Comment

• Won on a walk over?
                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

• Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                  Won on a walk over?
                  I'm afraid not.

Comment

• Play on the same table all the way throughout the comp?
                    is it win with a session to spare ?
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 5 May 2021, 01:19 AM.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Play on the same table all the way throughout the comp?
                      is it win with a session to spare ?
                      No. It's actually something to do with losing rather than winning.

Comment

• And finally, for 1 point:

The matches in question for Eddie Charlton are his 13-5 defeat to Davis in 1983, his 13-6 defeat to Taylor in 1985, and his 13-12 defeat to Stevens in 1986. For Reardon it's his 13-2 defeat to Stevens in 1984 and his 16-5 defeat to Davis in 1985. For Griffiths it was his 13-5 defeat to Hendry in 1989, his 13-5 defeat to White in 1990, and his 13-8 defeat to Bond in 1994. And the new addition that's joined the group since the question was originally asked, Kyren Wilson in his 13-8 defeat to Gilbert in 2019, and his 18-8 defeat to O'Sullivan in 2020.

Can you look at those matches and spot the obscure statistic I have in mind? It's something to do with the exact number of frames the losing player won on each occasion.

Comment

• No points awarded for this one then. The players in question have, on more than one occasion, lost a three or four-session match at the Crucible where the number of frames they won corresponded exactly to their seeding. Eddie Charlton lost 13-5 when he was the 5th seed, 13-6 when he was the 6th seed, and 13-12 when he was the 12th seed. Ray Reardon lost 13-2 as the 2nd seed, and 13-5 as the 5th seed. Terry Griffiths lost 13-5 as the 5th seed on two occasions, and 13-8 as the 8th seed.

And in the time that has passed since the question was originally asked, Kyren Wilson has also joined this group, losing 13-8 as the 8th seed, and then 18-8 in the final as the 8th seed again. I know it's a bit silly, but I thought someone would have noticed the pattern.

Comment

Working...
                          X