No announcement yet.

Ssb - jungle jimmy gets wembley wildcard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a Jimmy White fan but this decision is a complete and utter travesty for the integrity of the game.
    "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

To be fair, he didnt deserve this wildcard, but im so glad he got it. Jimmy at the Masters will be great to watch (for me at least).
      "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Of course Jimmy puts bums on seats but this seems a complete waste of a wildcard, i think he will do (very well to beat Mark King) let alone progress any further in the tournament.
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

He has been playing better this season and last, but to justify the decision he really needs to be getting onto the TV stages more (I'm a celebrity doesn't count!) Having said that, perhaps if he had not competed on that programme, he may not have got the wildcard - it's cashing in on renewed public interest.

The following players are more deserving...
          Wenbo
          Walden (both reached finals and provisionally top 16)
          Swail (also did last season, but poor aside from that)
          Doherty - has looked much better this season and top 16 in one year list - only 3 years ago he was provisionally nuimber one leading into world champs)
          Trump - did well in PL, but poor in rankers
          Davis - still battling away and a legend so would draw some crowd.
          You could add another 20 to this list, but I would say the above would be justifiable ahead of White and would still be known to the public and have all done something of merit. Wenbo is outstanding choise, but I felt he should have competed in qualifying.

Comment

That's a surprise.. especially after he pulled out of the UK. Maybe this will be his last season as a pro (his ranking isn't very good), but I still don't agree with this decision. I hope he wins at least one match to prove he was worth it.

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
              Maybe this will be his last season as a pro (his ranking isn't very good)
              If he can get a wildcard into this then I can't imagine that he would be overlooked for one of the main tour wildcards at the end of the season. No way he won't be playing next season for me.
              sigpic
              http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
                This is obviously a barry hearn style move people can say its sir rod's fault but last year he gave the wild card to walden and the previous year fu neither of whom are big crowd pullers.
                I don't think it has anything to do with Barry Hearn being at the wheel.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/celebrit...he-jungle.html

This is from November 12, well before the vote. Looking at the last paragraph it seems that Jimmy knew already.
                Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post

This is from November 12, well before the vote. Looking at the last paragraph it seems that Jimmy knew already.
                  rather odd because sir rods track record of the last 2 masters suggests he doesnt go for popularity

walden and fu are not real crowd pullers
                  Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt_2745 View Post
                    If he can get a wildcard into this then I can't imagine that he would be overlooked for one of the main tour wildcards at the end of the season. No way he won't be playing next season for me.
                    I remember you saying in the 'Get Me Out Of Here I'm A Celebrity' thread that if Jimmy gets to play in The Masters you wont be watching, is this still going to be the case Matt?
                    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post

But on the other hand, the new board could look into the decision and change it before it was announced? I suppose the reason for the late announcement was so that board members can finalize their decision based on UK championship results. The old board could maybe mention Jimmy that he's considered as a potential wild card, but was the final decision taken then?
                      ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness View Post
                        But on the other hand, the new board could look into the decision and change it before it was announced? I suppose the reason for the late announcement was so that board members can finalize their decision based on UK championship results. The old board could maybe mention Jimmy that he's considered as a potential wild card, but was the final decision taken then?
                        Obviously I don't know Madz... but Jimmy's statement is quite positive there.

I've got the Masters coming up in January
                        no maybe...
                        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness View Post
                          The old board could maybe mention Jimmy that he's considered as a potential wild card, but was the final decision taken then?
                          It would be rather odd that they'd rush mentioning about their plans for every potential candidate that they have considered... Wouldn't it?

Comment

I'm fine with it, one last major appearance by the Whirlwind of London Town!

Liang will get his chance people, first everyone goes on about Jimmy being such a great player and being such a legend and that they want him big in the big events, and now he is, and people are arguing over it. Trust me, Wenbo is a good enough player to make it there on his own strength one day.

Comment

jimmy wild card

i did call this a few months back, what people need to understand whether they agree or not, is that the wildcard choice is massivley influenced by the sponsors not just world snooker. They want guarenteed return and exposure for their brand and that is driven by, as you say, bums on seats.

Also if the rumour is true that Ronnie won't be playing that did leave the tournament without a 'fans favourite' and world snooker sweating on sales.

By placing Jimmy in it they get exposure today in the press, good attendance for the event and in truth by playing Mark King rather than one of the top 4 he does have a realisitc chance of progressing.

No one can argue Lian Wenbo's credentials but he will be a top 16 player soon no doubt, if it was your cash and you were looking for a return who outside of the top 16 will sell more seats and generate more publicity than Jimmy?........ its a sign of the times. One thing for sure is that Jimmy won't take this wild card as a publicity stunt, he will be putting in the hours over Christmas practisiing very hard. Please don't be anti jimmy, he had no influence on their choice!

Comment

Originally Posted by Matt_2745 View Post
                                Yes, that's probably true, but pulling out of the UK made me wonder where his priorities lie. But yes, if he asks for a wild-card I'm fairly sure he will get it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X